Looking for a quality LED illuminator

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, this is the situation:
I have a motion detector that turns on several subtle pathway lights. They operate on main grid voltage. I would like to add an LED (flood?)light for a beam along the path, powered on grid voltage.
The distance it has to cover is about 8m (26ft) (and back).
Camera would be either a zoomed 5442T-ZE varifocal or a 3.6mm f=1.0 lens on 1/1.8" or 1/1.2" sensor. IR would not be used.
I don't want a "cuban solution", which attracts landing airplanes, local basketball teams and neighbors in rage.

So I need an estimate of the power I need for the cameras to work, but I don't want to be blinded either. 10W?

And I need to find international brands that build reliable lights, as my electrician is more expensive than the LED. I have seen many cheap ones on amazon with telling comments. (actually considered about getting one 10W for testing)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What sort of wattage do you get from the LEDs on cameras?
Would that do what you need?

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What sort of wattage do you get from the LEDs on cameras?
Would that do what you need?
I would not want the LED on the camera on permanently, if it is that what you mean.
And I doubt that the cam lights would do it, BUT I could run a test. I'd still need to get a lamp.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a lot of the Philips Hue outdoor lights. Internationally available, good quality and (kind of like a vari-focal cam) gives you the ability to adjust the light level as you want it and do automations to come up with motion and such with the cams if you want at some point. But that will cost you a bunch of money and it's kind of a slippery slope once you get some. Similar other less expensive brands there I'm sure.

Just to give you an idea, the larger Lily XL spotlights that I have are 15 watts. They'd definitely light up a 25-ish foot area well. The smaller Lily spotlights are 8 watts. They're good for say spotlighting a single bush or giving a moderate amount of light to a larger area. I'd say just barely good enough to run a 5442 in color but not great. So your 10 watt estimate probably is OK at the lower end. I think I'd want a little more margin. Also will depend on the design of the light. e.g., a spotlight will be more directed, the wall-washer type lights that I have are 20 watts but the light is diffused over a wider area and wouldn't light things up well enough for a cam.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I gotta ask....just what is a "cuban solution?"
Sure, here you are. Duck and cover!

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Two hated words, BestBuy and Home Depot. My wife complaints every time I mention to visit Home Depot. My favorite aisle, the electrical and spot lights section. Take a look at your local HD.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure, here you are. Duck and cover!
I knew what you meant. I just wanted to see if you could provide a link, because you couldn't here. :cool:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I would like to state for the record that:

1) There have been ZERO attempted landing by planes, helicopters or other powered flight craft;

2) We've had one respectful young man enjoying the lights while skateboarding:

3) 100% of feedback from neighbours had been resoundingly positive.

Ok, there's the one guy who eyeballs me but he's been side-eyeing me for a while now.

Lol

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my browser. Where do you bookmark pages?
In my browser as well, but a bookmark in my browser does nothing to clarify a post when asked for it, like when you stated in your post "I even made a thread about it here" and were asked about it.

Do you even read any of your posts to see if they contextually fit?

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The problem is that you are located in germany and most here located in US.

The china-led-garbage they are selling in us has not the same seller/name as in germany or isnt available. So asking here might not give you the solution you are searching for.

Most germans use motion-controlled floodlights because they dont like night-always-on light, dont want to pay the electricity or have neighboors who dont like night-always-on light.

Motion-controlled external light and cameras is a no go. Use IR, case closed.

According to your posts you make everything complicated. Most not-german people are easy and dont discuss everything back and forth.

If you want that better go to a german forum like knx-user-forum.de .. there you can discuss days and months about floodlights and else without wasting money on any LED floodlight.