Looking for advise for cameras for someone with mental disabilities.

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi After that title I knew I would get a few looks! Anyway there is a friends son that lives at home with Paranoid Schizophrenia. He is around 32. He seems determined to install cameras to "protect himself" from intruders. I was asked what would work....I have a limited knowledge ,but managed to install 8 IP cams at my home mostly with help from this site,and a ton or reading, trial and error. This is not for him .Does anyone know of a system or suggestions that might be helpful in this unique situation? I would like to avoid professional installs or complicated setups,or even a Costco box set. .Something he can monitor that dosen`t involve alot of money or setup. He is a computer gamer, and can handle easy installation or I might help. Just point me at whatever might work for him. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi After that title I knew I would get a few looks! Anyway there is a friends son that lives at home with Paranoid Schizophrenia. He is around 32. He seems determined to install cameras to "protect himself" from intruders. I was asked what would work....I have a limited knowledge ,but managed to install 8 IP cams at my home mostly with help from this site,and a ton or reading, trial and error. This is not for him .Does anyone know of a system or suggestions that might be helpful in this unique situation? I would like to avoid professional installs or complicated setups,or even a Costco box set. .Something he can monitor that dosen`t involve alot of money or setup. He is a computer gamer, and can handle easy installation or I might help. Just point me at whatever might work for him. Thanks
ring, wyze or nest

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks thats what I figured the choices are. Just figured I would see if there were any tips or opinions

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Blink as well, but its all subscription based unless you buy a certain module to allow USB thumbdrive local storage.
My Sister in law lives in a rental, english not first language, She is able to manage Blink with the App. and it has an available doorbell for the system as well.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Do not bang some of the kits from the box stores (Costco). So, they might not be the greatest but,
in the stated request above, an 8 cam ready made w/ a 16 port NVR can be a real ticket!.

I currently have a (from Costco) a Swann 8 cam w/ 16 cam NVR. Also on the network, is Andy's Dahua brand NVR.
8cams from Swan and 5 of Andy's 4k cams. All are visible on both NVRs too!

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do not bang some of the kits from the box stores (Costco). So, they might not be the greatest but,
in the stated request above, an 8 cam ready made w/ a 16 port NVR can be a real ticket!.

I currently have a (from Costco) a Swann 8 cam w/ 16 cam NVR. Also on the network, is Andy's Dahua brand NVR.
8cams from Swan and 5 of Andy's 4k cams. All are visible on both NVRs too!
Hi and Thanks for the comments. I was at Costco today and the Nest 3 camera set was discounted. I might have him try that .

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Fishman57

Anyway there is a friends son that lives at home with Paranoid Schizophrenia

suspect he may not trust cloud service providers .. imho an isolated IP PoE or CCTC / Coax kit is the way to go

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
We get the occasional perv that comes here looking for a hidden camera suggestion to stick in his step-daughter's bedroom.
I hadn't even thought of that.

I posted a screen shot of UI3 on my phone to the BI group on Facebook because I had a question about the weird layout. Someone asked, and deleted before I could answer, why anyone would want a camera in a bedroom. I use it as a monitor to check on my daughter, no different than any of the other ones you can buy at the store. One big difference is it is way more secure than the wireless units most people use.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hadn't even thought of that.

I posted a screen shot of UI3 on my phone to the BI group on Facebook because I had a question about the weird layout. Someone asked, and deleted before I could answer, why anyone would want a camera in a bedroom. I use it as a monitor to check on my daughter, no different than any of the other ones you can buy at the store. One big difference is it is way more secure than the wireless units most people use.
Difference is I think you said somewhere your daughter is a lot younger than a teenager playing with sex toys LOL. But at some point the "baby monitor" will come out as she gets older.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Difference is I think you said somewhere your daughter is a lot younger than a teenager playing with sex toys LOL. But at some point the "baby monitor" will come out as she gets older.
Oh, yes. It's definitely a completely different scenario. She just turned 6. I would guess it probably won't be in there much longer.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still haven't received a response from any of the local stations I sent an email to.
I'm not surprised. I rarely e-mail local talk shows or TV/radio stations but have done so with a short, general question maybe 3 times in 6-8 years and have never received an answer. Surprisingly, a couple of times it was about one of their sponsors. Not sure why they even list their email. It's gotten to where everyone wants to use Facebook messenger and other means.....no thanks, never mind, thank you.

If they're going to be that picky about their correspondence, then it's actually less important to ME to contact them than it is for them to hear from ME. :headbang:

Too bad for your local station.....IMO they're missing out on a unique opportunity and some beautiful weather images.

Last edited: