Migrating to a new PC and new version of BI - specs and best way to keep settings?

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw some older threads but they were from 2015/2016
Currently on BI v4. Before I upgrade to v5 I want to move to a new PC. Originally I was using BI for only 3-4 cameras, it is now up to 12 and it’s 4-5 year old PC and its suffering performance wise.

I see some deals on i7-8700 HP’s with 8 GB of RAM and a 256 SSD for $500 at best buy. My older PC has a 6 TB HD I can remove and add so it should be a fairly robust set up? Running 12 cameras at 4-6 MP a camera running 24x7.

Re: moving - I want to keep settings identical. There is a lot of customization and I have this tied into Control4 so lots of stuff with the specific camera names linking the two programs, etc. Is there an easy way to dump the settings/profile then reload them, especially when going from v4 to v5? Should I upgrade the current PC to v5, then dump the settings and install new on a v5 BI on the new computer?

Trying to limit the headaches so any advice is appreciated!

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To reply to my own thread - I currently have a core i7-4770 which based Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris isn’t too bad for performance. I also have 8 GB of RAM. But every time I open up that PC its at 85%+ of CPU usage. Most cameras I have down to 10-12 fps and most are at 2 megapixel not even the 4 or 6 where they cap out.

Do I need a new PC or just better configure BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To reply to my own thread - I currently have a core i7-4770 which based Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris isn’t too bad for performance. I also have 8 GB of RAM. But every time I open up that PC its at 85%+ of CPU usage. Most cameras I have down to 10-12 fps and most are at 2 megapixel not even the 4 or 6 where they cap out.

Do I need a new PC or just better configure BI?
you have something improperly configured. See wiki on optimizing blue iris. Ensure direct to disk and hardware acceleration are enabled. Also using if you are remoting into the pc it will show high usage. Use a local monitor.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I saw some older threads but they were from 2015/2016
Currently on BI v4. Before I upgrade to v5 I want to move to a new PC. Originally I was using BI for only 3-4 cameras, it is now up to 12 and it’s 4-5 year old PC and its suffering performance wise.

I see some deals on i7-8700 HP’s with 8 GB of RAM and a 256 SSD for $500 at best buy. My older PC has a 6 TB HD I can remove and add so it should be a fairly robust set up? Running 12 cameras at 4-6 MP a camera running 24x7.

Re: moving - I want to keep settings identical. There is a lot of customization and I have this tied into Control4 so lots of stuff with the specific camera names linking the two programs, etc. Is there an easy way to dump the settings/profile then reload them, especially when going from v4 to v5? Should I upgrade the current PC to v5, then dump the settings and install new on a v5 BI on the new computer?

Trying to limit the headaches so any advice is appreciated!
Try this ==>> Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you have something improperly configured. See wiki on optimizing blue iris. Ensure direct to disk and hardware acceleration are enabled. Also using if you are remoting into the pc it will show high usage. Use a local monitor.
Thanks - so yeah I was not doing direct to disc recording on 10 of the 12 cameras - oops. I am down to about 25-30% CPU usage. I assume that is a fair load and should be fine going forward? I made sure all cameras were only sending 15 FPS and BI is configured for each camera at 15 FPS. All cameras are also dumbed down to 1920x1080 as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks - so yeah I was not doing direct to disc recording on 10 of the 12 cameras - oops. I am down to about 25-30% CPU usage. I assume that is a fair load and should be fine going forward? I made sure all cameras were only sending 15 FPS and BI is configured for each camera at 15 FPS. All cameras are also dumbed down to 1920x1080 as well.
More than enough headroom.