Mounting PTZ camera on a tree 8ft from home. In the air or conduit? Surge precautions?

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi I wanted to install a PTZ camera on a tree 8ft from my home and had a question about what is considered a safer way to do it to avoid electrical surges etc damaging my internal network. My plan was run a flexible non conductive Conduit underground from the basement a few inches underground to the tree to a PVC junction. Then with a cable gland run a outdoor Cat6 cable to the PTZ camera. Then another undergound run from one tree to another tree about 8ft from the first tree for a 2nd ptz. Is this reasonable? The trees are only about 14 inches in diameter so they sway under heavy wind slightly so I didn't want to risk a exposed cable in the air. The run would be Router- POE Switch - Camera. But I'm thinking of how to protect the Router and the rest of my network including a Nas on the network. Would it be safer to put a sacrificial router like this Main Router - 2nd Router - POE switch - Camera? What indoor rj45 surge protectors would be preferred? I bought a Amazon Basics surge protector that has a Rj45 port on it that coming but I'm going to check the throughout. I did see the the ubiquiti poe surge protector but how would I ground it inside the house? Anyone have a image of one installed or video to link to? The reason the cameras aren't mounted on the house is the trees are tall and relatively close together. Any feedback is appreciated.

Reaction score
rj45 surge suppressor

I would run pvc conduit to a pull junction box and pvc conduit up each tree. you can use krylon plastic flat spray paint to paint the pvc and make it disappear into the tree

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I used a fiber to cat5 converter at both ends. One end was a netgear switch with 3 cameras and with fiber out and the other end was a converter. I used power from a remote source compared to my network. My isolation was from cameras on a 100 ft tower. So far no issues after over a year.

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting idea with the fiber to ethernet. Just ordered one thanks!