Multiple HDD problem

Reaction score
Working on a system with 16x1.2mp cams and 2x4mp cams that are set to record continous, the machine has one 2tb hdd, and one 4tb drive.

Previously there was an issue with high ram usage that caused the machine to lock up. In the diagnosing I reinstalled BlueIris. Ended up adding more ram and everything in that manner is good.

The persistent problem is that nothing gets recorded 24/7, the clips vary in size from a few seconds too 1 min.

The new folder D: was set for 1600gb and then move to E: 3500gb and delete. Im guessing the system is taking too long to move the data over and causing the interuptions. Another thing is when I reinstalled BI and set the drive folders and their space I get the error of over allocated disk space. Do I neet to delete all prior data and set the folders up new?

All other systems i run, run multiple drives in raid so never had this issue. Maybe a better way to fix this?

Thanks for the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Working on a system with 16x1.2mp cams and 2x4mp cams that are set to record continous, the machine has one 2tb hdd, and one 4tb drive.

Previously there was an issue with high ram usage that caused the machine to lock up. In the diagnosing I reinstalled BlueIris. Ended up adding more ram and everything in that manner is good.

The persistent problem is that nothing gets recorded 24/7, the clips vary in size from a few seconds too 1 min.

The new folder D: was set for 1600gb and then move to E: 3500gb and delete. Im guessing the system is taking too long to move the data over and causing the interuptions. Another thing is when I reinstalled BI and set the drive folders and their space I get the error of over allocated disk space. Do I neet to delete all prior data and set the folders up new?

All other systems i run, run multiple drives in raid so never had this issue. Maybe a better way to fix this?

Thanks for the help.
this is related to your overallocation and or improper setting in the record tab..ensure its set to continuous and NOT continuous+triggered

Reaction score
this is related to your overallocation and or improper setting in the record tab..ensure its set to continuous and NOT continuous+triggered
Record tab has only continuous selected on all cams.

I just changed the new folder to E: and chnaged the 1600gb to 3500gb and delete rather than move and all cams are now recording continously as they should. However the status bar says -600G due to the Stored folder thats still on the drive. I would need to delete that. Was hoping to use both drives though. Maybe create a striped volume between them so BI only sees one drive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Record tab has only continuous selected on all cams.

I just changed the new folder to E: and chnaged the 1600gb to 3500gb and delete rather than move and all cams are now recording continously as they should. However the status bar says -600G due to the Stored folder thats still on the drive. I would need to delete that. Was hoping to use both drives though. Maybe create a striped volume between them so BI only sees one drive.
you can use 2 drives or 5 with no volume changes. You over allocated your drives. After deleting files or making changes you need to repair/rebuild the database.

Reaction score
Ok so I would only need to put the drives back to the way they were and then rebuild the database. They will retain the previous recoreded video and then be allocated properly? If so I will do that then.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so I would only need to put the drives back to the way they were and then rebuild the database. They will retain the previous recoreded video and then be allocated properly? If so I will do that then.
yes. Also, the best way to do this would be to split your cams, write 6 of them to the 2tb and 12 to the 4tb or something similar. This provides some redundancy and splits the load.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
yes. Also, the best way to do this would be to split your cams, write 6 of them to the 2tb and 12 to the 4tb or something similar. This provides some redundancy and splits the load.
I got this advice in a thread of my own a few weeks ago, and it is working great. I've got 2 TB and 4 TB drives, with a third of them recording to the smaller one and the rest recording to the larger drive. If a drive goes bad, at least I've got some of the camera footage.

Reaction score
Thank you fenderman, that worked like a charm. Split the load and changed each drive to delete. Everything has been working great.

Frankenscript; isnt it great we have all this knowledge? I learn things all the time here lol