My First HikVision - not going well

Reaction score
I've been using all Dahua cameras but wanted to try a HikVision (less expensive) to see how it works with my system. It is fresh out of the box from B&H, model ECI-D14F2 2.8mm dome.

Configuration: Windows 7 Pro, Ubiquiti PoE adapter (indicator light confirmed 'on'.

1. No default IP address is provided so I have no idea what address to enter into my browser. The unofficial rumor is it's 192.0.0.64 so I've tried that.
2. It's been awhile so to confirm: I go into my IPV4 settings and manually enter 192.0.0.128 (128 is randomly selected) for my TCP/IP address, subnet 255.155.155, then turn off wifi. The camera is plugged into a POE adapter and the LAN is connected to my PC. Nothing found.
3. I download SADP and execute it, up comes a screen that says:
"Step 1: After exporting the device feature code file, contact the manufacturer for the reset token" with "Device feature code file 'Export'". No idea what this means. Then
"Step 2: Please import the reset token obtained from the manufacturer and reset the password" and "Import Files [fill in the box] and "New PW [fill in box]" and "Confirm PW"

Is it this hard to use SADP? Seems ridiculous but admittedly I'm frustrated and everything seems that way at the moment.
I feel like I'm forgetting something basic in hooking up a camera and configuring my (what should be) standalone PC (when wifi is off)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ron

Reaction score
I forgot some details that might cause confusion: My entire camera system is running on a different PC, so the one I'm using to configure this Hik is separate and tied to the other by wifi only. So if wifi is OFF then it should be standalone. I normally use a .10 subnet.

Also, the SADP page that comes up only offers 1 active button: "Reset Password". This results in the page and steps described above. When I select the Export button it opens windows explorer and wants a file.

Ron

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What model is the "Ubiquiti PoE adapter" ? If it's the 24VDC passive POE version for UBNT devices only, that's the first issue. You need a 802.3af/at compliant POE injector or POE switch, it puts out up to 57 volts.

On the PC I'd try a static IP of 192.168.1.28, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, as the Hiks I've been around, even the one OEM'd for IPCT, is at 192.168.1.64.

I have never used a Dahua or Hik Tool, just open a browser to the IP, you may need to hard reset the cam.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above - starting out with a POE injector that is actually powering the camera is the first start LOL. We had someone here just this week that thought his camera was broke and it was because he was using an Ubiquiti UniFi PoE.

And then even if yours was one that powered up the camera, you were using the wrong subnet mask.

Like Tony, I have never used a Dahua or Hik Tool and simply did the browser method.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
SADP will simply find and list any Hikvision devices whatever IP address the PC is set to and will show status amongst other things.
A new camera should show as 'Inactive' and can be activated by selecting it, and using a password of your own choice.
Then, using that password, you can change the network settings to match your requirements.
So you don't need to be concerned about the default initial IP address, not about exporting the code to request a password reset.
Unless it came as 'Active' in which case someone else has already activated it with their own password.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been using all Dahua cameras but wanted to try a HikVision (less expensive) to see how it works with my system. It is fresh out of the box from B&H, model ECI-D14F2 2.8mm dome.

Configuration: Windows 7 Pro, Ubiquiti PoE adapter (indicator light confirmed 'on'.

1. No default IP address is provided so I have no idea what address to enter into my browser. The unofficial rumor is it's 192.0.0.64 so I've tried that.
2. It's been awhile so to confirm: I go into my IPV4 settings and manually enter 192.0.0.128 (128 is randomly selected) for my TCP/IP address, subnet 255.155.155, then turn off wifi. The camera is plugged into a POE adapter and the LAN is connected to my PC. Nothing found.
3. I download SADP and execute it, up comes a screen that says:
"Step 1: After exporting the device feature code file, contact the manufacturer for the reset token" with "Device feature code file 'Export'". No idea what this means. Then
"Step 2: Please import the reset token obtained from the manufacturer and reset the password" and "Import Files [fill in the box] and "New PW [fill in box]" and "Confirm PW"

Is it this hard to use SADP? Seems ridiculous but admittedly I'm frustrated and everything seems that way at the moment.
I feel like I'm forgetting something basic in hooking up a camera and configuring my (what should be) standalone PC (when wifi is off)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ron
This is a horrible hik cam, unless you are using this indoors with lights on all the time. Its a "value" model with a 1/3" image sensor.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, your suggestions worked.

Yes, the Ubiquiti adapter is indeed 24V. When I used my normal PoE switch it powered up. The default was 192.168.1.64 as suggested. Why HikVision doesn't say that anywhere obvious is puzzling since most people want to immediately change it to something else.

This is a horrible hik cam, unless you are using this indoors with lights on all the time. Its a "value" model with a 1/3" image sensor.
Thanks Fenderman, B&H says I can return it within 30 days and I may either upgrade or switch back to a Dahua dome for $146 since I've been happy with them, despite two only lasting 3 years each. The old adage "you get what you pay for" probably applies here too.

One issue remains: The HIK config page "Live View" doesn't show any image, but it does appear in BI. Any idea why that is? -not very important but I am curious.

I also have another issue with the Dahua config tool not working any more but I should probably post it separately as a new topic.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You probably need to use Internet Explorer, yeah we know LOL, but I bet if you use it and not Edge or Chrome with the IE tab you will then be given the option to download the plug-in that will allow you to see the video.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, the Ubiquiti adapter is indeed 24V. When I used my normal PoE switch it powered up. The default was 192.168.1.64 as suggested. Why HikVision doesn't say that anywhere obvious is puzzling since most people want to immediately change it to something else.

Thanks Fenderman, B&H says I can return it within 30 days and I may either upgrade or switch back to a Dahua dome for $146 since I've been happy with them, despite two only lasting 3 years each. The old adage "you get what you pay for" probably applies here too.

One issue remains: The HIK config page "Live View" doesn't show any image, but it does appear in BI. Any idea why that is? -not very important but I am curious.

I also have another issue with the Dahua config tool not working any more but I should probably post it separately as a new topic.
Hik makes great cams...you just need to compare apples to apples..dahua dome is also meaningless, they make crappy domes as well...that said a dome is inferior for most applications compared to a turret.
I have hiks and dahuas working fine since 2013 or so...most failures are related to poor installation so water enters the connections.
Your live view is not displaying due to failure to install the plugin

Reaction score
Hik makes great cams...you just need to compare apples to apples..dahua dome is also meaningless, they make crappy domes as well...that said a dome is inferior for most applications compared to a turret.
I have hiks and dahuas working fine since 2013 or so...most failures are related to poor installation so water enters the connections.
Your live view is not displaying due to failure to install the plugin
My installations are underneath the eaves and dry from what I've seen. A look at the circuit board doesn't show any corrosion. The connector gets stuffed up above the eave and on the last one I did see corrosion, but despite trying to clean the RJ45 contacts no dice. Hindsight: I should have used dialectric grease on those.

I'll try the plugin again now that other aspects are good, didn't do that yet.

Looking at the Hik and Dahua offerings on B&H it is hard for me to tell the differences between all the dome models. Most in the sub $200 arena appear to have 1/3" CMOS sensors; minor price differences provide more/better LED lighting and distance (so they say). I use domes because they are only 8 ft above ground and readily accessible to anyone, so I like the "vandal resistant" feature they have. I do have one nice Dahua PTZ 4-12 mm (I think thats what it is) and I like that one a lot. I need to do more homework.... there's probably a thread on here about "favorite cams" or "best cams for the buck" :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dielectric grease goes a long way in preventing the corrosion you don't see that can happen with connectors shoved up in eaves or junction boxes.

Deoxit does wonders in removing the corrosion you don't see and make the camera work again.

Turret cameras are just as vandal proof and aren't as susceptible to the issues of dome cameras.

The 5442 series turrets are all under $200 and provide incredible video. Current king of the hill.

There is a thread LOL. See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My installations are underneath the eaves and dry from what I've seen. A look at the circuit board doesn't show any corrosion. The connector gets stuffed up above the eave and on the last one I did see corrosion, but despite trying to clean the RJ45 contacts no dice. Hindsight: I should have used dialectric grease on those.

I'll try the plugin again now that other aspects are good, didn't do that yet.

Looking at the Hik and Dahua offerings on B&H it is hard for me to tell the differences between all the dome models. Most in the sub $200 arena appear to have 1/3" CMOS sensors; minor price differences provide more/better LED lighting and distance (so they say). I use domes because they are only 8 ft above ground and readily accessible to anyone, so I like the "vandal resistant" feature they have. I do have one nice Dahua PTZ 4-12 mm (I think thats what it is) and I like that one a lot. I need to do more homework.... there's probably a thread on here about "favorite cams" or "best cams for the buck" :)
Moisture will get it...you need to at the very least wrap with silicone tape.
any 1/3 sensor cam is garbage. You are paying for 10 year old tech...you can easily buy good cams for under 200, just not USA models from BandH.
Vandal resistant is a meaningless term....if a vandal can reach your cam they just need a piece of tape or spray paint and your camera is useless...domes or horrible with IR light and other reflections

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yes, the Ubiquiti adapter is indeed 24V. When I used my normal PoE switch it powered up. The default was 192.168.1.64 as suggested.
Glad those suggestions worked for you. :cool:
Why HikVision doesn't say that anywhere obvious is puzzling since most people want to immediately change it to something else.
It's because we here at IPCT get paid according to the number of folks we help......NOT! :lmao:

ufg8rmike

n3wb
Reaction score
What model is the "Ubiquiti PoE adapter" ? If it's the 24VDC passive POE version for UBNT devices only, that's the first issue. You need a 802.3af/at compliant POE injector or POE switch, it puts out up to 57 volts.

On the PC I'd try a static IP of 192.168.1.28, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, as the Hiks I've been around, even the one OEM'd for IPCT, is at 192.168.1.64.

I have never used a Dahua or Hik Tool, just open a browser to the IP, you may need to hard reset the cam.

Wonderful, lol. I've been piecing together my server and security system and have pretty much everything ready to install, except for the cameras. I got the ubiquiti Standard 48poe Switch 48 PoE - Ubiquiti Store United States

Will this thing not power the cameras? I will start my own thread for discussion but I have the Hikvision DS-9632NI-M8 32 Channel 32MP NVR
And I am leaning towards the Hikvision AcuSense DS-2CD2383G2-IU 8MP Network Turret Cameras

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to close out my part of this inquiry and not leave it unanswered or unappreciated.

After reading your comments I took a better look at my camera selections. I have returned the inexpensive HikVision dome; I do find the image quality on all of my 6 domes to be less than ideal due to reflections, so I'm looking harder at turrets, and in particular PTZ turrets. I took to heart the MP vs sensor size, the visual comparisons (recordings) and discussions from some of you drive home the point about night vision capability and how night vision is a bigger challenge than daylight imagery, so I'm convinced that the ratio of 2MP for 1/2.8" or 4MP for 1/1.8" is better than MP count alone. I ordered (and should have today or tomorrow an EmpireTech PTZ292IR-4X 1/2.8" CMOS 2MP 4x Starlight IR Mini PTZ Network Camera, I think I got the last one at a nice price of $169 with tax and free shipping. I'll use this one to base my future replacement cameras off of. I also need to purchase an update to BI; I have V5 but haven't update for over a year. I'm intrigued by Wittaj's posts about using one cameras zones to point a PTZ camera for a pseudo tracking capability, will be fun to play with.

Any way, point being: Thanks for the advice, I'm using it.

One last thing: I wish there was a "Hot Deals" spot in the For Sale category of IPCT where people could post good deals they find - temporary sale prices or closeouts for example. I do plan to check back with EmpireTech often but maybe there are others.

Ron

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the camera EmpireTech PTZ292IR-4X 1/2.8
Is not weather proof, it is intended for indoors use only.