My winter preparation activities caused a POE Injector to die!

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Winter is coming! Today, I swapped my summer wheels for winter wheels on the cars, got the snow shovels out, put away patio furniture that we won't use in the winter and drained the garden hoses along with the hose bibs at the inside water shut-off valves.

After dinner, I found this in my e-mail.

camera-issue-email.png
Below is the last frame that NX Witness recorded from my Front Yard/Door camera. Some bozo (me!) entering the house after finishing the winter preparation tasks.

winter-prep-perp.png
After confirming there was no RTSP stream to NX Witness and yes, the camera was un-pingable, I went into the furnace room where the POE Injector lives and quickly figured out what had happened.

I had turned the water off to the front hose-bib, then unscrewed the drain plug. My wife was resting so I decided not to disturb her and went outside and opened on the faucet thus allowing air to enter the hose bib to drain about a foot of 1/2" pipe into the house. Normally my wife would hold up a bucket/rag and catch the water. Today, I took a stupid shortcut and should have wrapped a towel around the pipe.

My inside wiring did not have drip loops, but does now! Water had travelled right down the black cable into the POE Injector.

inside-shutoff-and-wiring.jpg

The RJ45 connector looked like this:

fried-connector.jpg

... and the guts of the power segment of the POE Injector (made for indoor use only) were fried.

fried-injector.jpg

I cut off the RJ45 connector and 2 inches of cable and installed a new connector. I had a spare POE Injector, installed it and by the time I walked from the furnace room to my desk, the camera was up and running again.

Phew. Please learn from my situation and be safe - install drip loops on all cabling!

/dan

Attachments

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your mishap, but thanks for sharing to hopefully spare someone else a similar issue. Always good to have a few spare parts around to avoid downtime too! :cool:

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Sorry to hear but thanks for sharing with us.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes an excess of moisture as a result of humidity can cause this. Good to put some dielectric grease around the connector. They sell special water/weather-proofing tape at the big-box stores, sometimes as a preventive measure, good to apply that around the cable as well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the basements and crawlspaces in my neck of the woods (and especially here 500 yards uphill from a 21,000 acre lake) get VERY damp, high humidity all the time, maybe their driest in Jan. & Feb. if at all.....one pretty much has to treat connectors, components, wiring, etc. like it's out in the open in a 24/7 downpour (with lightning to boot).

Thanks for sharing, @drhaller

drhaller

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I plan to apply some dielectric grease to my RJ45 connections, as one more protection measure. Glad I could help prevent others from learning the hard way.

/dan