Need help building a 32 Camera system

dan96max

n3wb
Reaction score
Need some help on putting together a system that can support 32 cameras. We currently have an old server running aver media dvr software. The current system is a mix of analog and 1mp vivotek ip cameras. I would like to switch everything over to IP for a total of 32 cameras.

This is in a small business with around 18 employees spread across a few different garages and warehouses. All currently wired together with Ethernet. Some spots have constant motion during the day while others are very low motion.

I'd like to get an upgrade in resolution over what we have but also be a reasonably affordable system. Budget is open right now but not extreme. 6-10k all in with server, cameras, cabling and new switches (unifi).

With that said, I'm an IT guy at heart but not a camera guy at all. I'm not very familiar with dvr software, purpose build nvrs or camera brands out side of some demos and what we currently use. My initial plan was to go with blue iris on a 6 core intel 8700k with 4-6 8tb WD surveillance drives. I have been pricing out 4 to 8mp cameras in the $150/camera range knowing that I'll be lowering the resolution on many of them and then adjusting as needed. Night vision on many of the cameras is an important feature.

Is blue iris a good option for a 32 camera system? Should I be looking at prebuilt nvr systems instead? I'm concerned with not having enough CPU to run 32 cameras on one blue iris server.

Any recommendations on cameras or software is much appreciated. I need a push in the right direction so we get it right the first time. Thanks!