need help for 36+ camera setup

Kunal

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All. New here, but been using BI for about 5 years now. Completely self taught. By no means an IT expect. With my recent addition of cameras, found that my setup (older i7 dell PC and Synology NAS) was no longer working - constantly freezing, not enough space to record, not able to delete old files fast enough to record new ones. I tried re purposing an old Dell R320 server and put in 40TB of storage, but now finding that the CPU is just maxing out and i'm having recording and streaming issues. And i've already implemented all of the optimization suggestions from this forum (VERY helpful by the way(

So, trying to figure out what to do to continue to grow our setup to around 50 cameras efficiently. Would appreciate feedback on whether the following makes sense. Mind you, I don't consider the video we are storing as mission critical. If we lost a disk and lost months of data, we'd be okay and life would go on.

new setup:
- 40 to 50 PoE camears - mostly Dahua and Hik Vision running at 3 or 4MP, and 15FPS, continuous recording, cutting files at 8 hours
- dell i7-8700 desktop with ssd for OS, BI, and BI database, 16GB RAM, no external graphics card
- WD 4 bay NAS, with 4x 10TB WD Purple drives, 5400 RPM
- setup BI to run as a service, and record direct to the NAS. when 80% full, delete oldest files
- keep minimum 4 weeks of video
- view live streams and saved videos remotely 80% of the time, rarely using desktop to view live feeds

Thanks in advance for any and all of your expert help!

Bob White

n3wb
Reaction score
New here also, maybe this will help you out as this is my setup:
10 POE Camera's running at 33FPS
3 POE TP-Link Switches
running on:
AMD FX 6300 6 core
24GB RAM
2 - 4GB WD Red drives
pushing between 60% and 80% CPU
running HOT 155 to 165 temp

I can maybe run 5 more camers on my setup before it dies OR lower my settings.

Good luck!