Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,
I need help to choose camera to cover 18m+/- yard,
Currently I have there Foscam Camera,
This is what it's picture,
https://postimg.org/image/l1c9jg55x/

(What you see, isn't 18m, but I want to move the camera, so it'll be in better place).

@fenderman, in one of my threads said that turret cameras is better then bullet cameras.
So my question is if this camera, DS-2CD2342WD-I will be good to my request, or you have another suggestion?

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh, no brainer. DS-2CD2342WD-I or Dahua HDW4421C (I'd get Dahua unless you are getting a full Hikvision system, NVR etc).

You mean 18sqm right?

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Del Boy,
Thanks for answer,
I have full Hikvision system (NVR), just this camera is Foscam, that I will be replace.
So I measure now with measuring tape, it's 15m.
About the sqm, it's 225sqm, if I understand you well.

Dahua is more better then HikVision ?

Regards.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have a Hikvision system then only buy Hikvision cameras for it (there are a few exceptions). Don't mix and match Hikvision and Dahua.

8mm lens is what you need for there. Not sure they do that so you might have to go with 6mm.

Why not a Huisun 10x PTZ?

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DS-2CD2342WD-I have 6mm,
I know not to mix cameras, just ask if Dhaua is better then Hikvision.
About the Huisun, I prefer all Hikvision.

Regards.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ideally DS-2DE5220I-AE but is expensive

Otherwise 6mm DS-2CD2342WD-I. 12mm will be too zoomed in I think. Shame no 8mm.

That Dahua is better IMO but there's not a lot in it.

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes,
DS-2DE5220I-AE is too much for me.
Where I can see the different between the lens ?
As I saw in Youtube, 12mm is really too much.

Regards.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know anywhere where. I just know from experience 6mm is a little too zoomed out and 12mm a little too zoomed in.

If you want all Hikvision then your best bet is 6mm, what other options are there?

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What you mean what other options ?
I can choose any Hikvision camera, just for example I gave this model (DS-2CD2342WD-I).

Regards.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What you mean what other options ?
I can choose any Hikvision camera, just for example I gave this model (DS-2CD2342WD-I).

Regards.
I mean the other Hikvision options in your price-range aren't as good. DS-2CD2142FWD-I, not as good. DS-2CD2042WD-I, not as good. I guess you don't want 2MP or 3MP either because you suggested 4MP.

DS-2CD2342WD-I 6mm is hands-down the best Hikvision option for you. I personally would get the Huisun but you want all Hikvision.

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, If I can I prefer to take 4MP, my other 2 Hikvision is 4MP, and I know that 3MP isn't so well in night.
I don't want the Huisun, as I want the NVR will control the motion detection and all stuff.

Regards.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I second Del Boy's recommendation for the DS-2CD2342WD-I. I have one on my Hikvision NVR system and I am very happy so far (though at first I was not very happy). Since your other cameras are 4MP, the 16:9 aspect ratio of the 2342 should match.

-S

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to know,
Why you not recommends the Bullet cameras?

Regards.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On my system of 5 cameras, I have 4 turrets and one bullet and all are EXIR units. I like the turrets because of their small size and they are hard to defeat or vandalize. The only reason I got one bullet was because it has two IR emitters (vs one on the turrets) and I need to illuminate a long walkway at night. The bullet could easily be vandalized (destroyed) with a long pole, whereas vandalizing the turrets will be a whole lot more difficult.

-S

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A turret can be vandalised by a long pole with a paint brush. So I don't buy into the whole anti-vandal stuff.

Most people prefer turrets. I actually prefer bullets. Style wise.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
bullet easier to move than a turret with a long pole, or a can of hornet spray or just wear a scarf on face and all cameras are of no use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
bullet easier to move than a turret with a long pole, or a can of hornet spray or just wear a scarf on face and all cameras are of no use.
Scarf true, there's no chance you can move my bullet from the wall. It's solid on. But you could knock my turret off as it's only the base mounted.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's the opposite at my house: turrets are like hemispheres against eaves and walls, hard to knock off. My bullet is a cylinder off the wall surface, easy to catch and vandalize.

But this is all moot as Jack B Nimble pointed out: a scarf and spray will do the job no matter what type of cam is used. There is one exception though: in my case, one of the cameras required a 25-foot ladder to install and therefore will be very hard to reach.

-S

Chaoscript

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From the exir category, what's the best camera?
DS-2CD2232-I5 0.07Lux,
DS-2CD2342WD-I 0.01Lux,
DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 0.01, 0.028Lux

Regards.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The I5 cameras have IR illuminators that can reach up to 50 m (~150 feet), otherwise it is 30 m (~90 feet) for the 2342. So it depends on your application. I have both the 2232-I5 and the 2342 as I use them for different applications. In one area of my house, I have two 2332 looking at the same area from different angles, giving me essentially two IR illuminators flooding the same area.

Don't know much about the 2T42, so I'd recommend the other two.

-S