Need help with PoE

63Flane

n3wb
Reaction score
1st: I'm new to I P setups and have no training at all. Basically just learning from the web, YouTube and the manuals I get with the equipment I buy. So obviously I've made mistakes. In an attempt not to make another here's my situation and questions.
I have a 16 channel Laview PoE nvr and 8 4MP cameras. I want to add a PTZ camera to my system. The camera I've chosen is PoE+. Is there any way to make this PoE+ camera work with my PoE nvr?
If I plug my PoE nvr into the PoE+ switch, then from the switch to the camera, will using the PoE+ switch work? I've read that PoE+ is backward compatible with PoE powered devices such as my cameras. But how will connecting the nvr to the PoE+ switch affect the system since it's a power source itself? Could connecting the nvr's output voltage damage the switch? Could it damage the nvr? Or would the switch regulate the voltage? Could the switch's output voltage be affected and possibly damage the PTZ camera?
Also what type switch? Managed or unmanaged? This is another area completely new to me so I'm leaning toward unmanaged only because it sounds easier to deal with. But if a managed switch is what I need to accomplish this, so be it.
And finally if I'm posting this in the wrong forum please advise.
I've asked a lot of questions and I do appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
KISS. Try it with your NVR. Some NVRs are POE+ but aren't very loud about advertising it. If that doesn't work, put a POE+ injector in the line from the NVR.