Network hogs

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, hope this finds you well.

I have a worsening problem regarding bandwidth.

My setup is simple: sim/router/modem.
Archaic really, but I live in a lonely place lol!

So. When we first got hooked up to our new provider, we were getting a horrible 17mbps. But it worked OK for a long time except for odd problems here and there.

Last year my neighbour installed solar panels, great for him. But now I see at least 7 hotspots I never saw before.

Download even on data is just below 10mbps
Wife is barely usable.

I imagine he has a similar setup, we don't speak.

Is there anything on God's remaining green Earth I could try?

Thank you very much

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're a remote area and the ISP only provided 25mbps for the whole neighborhood, you'll all be competing for the bandwidth :/

What expectations did your ISP provide as far as speed?

Do you notice a difference in performance when you have a wired connection vs. wireless?

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Spaceman, thank you. It's pretty add hoc around here. One provider hung cables and boxes along tree/light poles. We are not with that company, no idea if it is good or not? (Promises).

As regards wired. I do have the usual ethernet ports on the router, but it is still wireless. I have not tried this yet. I know I can get an external antenna for the router. But even the wireless data line is slow.

Unless you are on a network, you cannot tell how fast it is right?
(We'd switch if it helped).

Failing anything else, if the company cannot do anything, knowing the hog will hog more. (Cooler, better than anyone else).

I could reset 4 modems and hang them in the outhouse near his place lol!

Could his setup be a mesh type? Might explain hotspots?

Thank you very much

If you're a remote area and the ISP only provided 25mbps for the whole neighborhood, you'll all be competing for the bandwidth :/

What expectations did your ISP provide as far as speed?

Do you notice a difference in performance when you have a wired connection vs. wireless?

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Truth is I just don't know. They hang from most villages around here, but so far as I can see, they are NOT wired connections, just a hop to the tower?

I have a tr ml6400 Tp link router. It is not dual band. I have an antenna that is dual band pointing in the direction of the tower, some 2km away.

Could I utilise it at all? Perhaps I bought the wrong router.

Thank you for the replies ☝

The ISP connection from the street to the router in your house... is that wired?

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, Thank you. There is an ethernet port, "lan4wan"

The company did not provide this unit.

Thank you very much.

Is there a cable connected to the port labeled LAN/WAN of the ml6400?

Is the ml6400 your own, or did the ISP provide it to you?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on this:

My setup is simple: sim/router/modem.
I am assuming your internet is coming in via cellular. Cellular is not very good in most parts of the world. It also sounds like you're using WiFi to connect your devices to your router. WiFi can be extremely problematic and is the root cause of most people's network problems. The best advice I can offer is to use a wired ethernet connection to do speed tests and thereby see if the WiFi is your main problem.

If your WiFi is your main problem, then you need to use wired ethernet instead wherever possible. This includes plugging in all computers that don't move, including smart TVs, cameras, and any other device that streams video and doesn't run on batteries. You can also learn about WiFi channel optimization, use smaller channel width for your networks (e.g. 20 MHz instead of 40 or 80 or 160 MHz), and encourage your neighbors to also use a smaller channel width. And use 5 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz wherever possible because 5 GHz has a great deal more spectrum available and doesn't pass through walls as well, therefore it is less susceptible to interference with your neighbors.

If there is no difference between WiFi and a wired connection in your house, then your problem is your internet provider. In that case, find out what the wired provider(s) in the area have to offer. Wired internet has the potential to be vastly better than cellular, if the infrastructure is good and modern. Otherwise it can be garbage if they haven't updated their infrastructure in many years or if it is based on telephone lines that are longer than a few hundred meters before they reach fiber optics.

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will try as you say.
Thank you very much indeed for the time spent. My neighbours simply do not care, what's best for them, works just fine.

You've given me a few good ideas, though, thank you again

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also if this turns out to be an internet provider problem, Starlink may be an option. I have no idea what their pricing is like in your country, but if you can put a dish on your roof and there are no tall obstructions near your house, then it is pretty certain to perform better than 10 Mbps.

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We have 2 plans (so called).
Mobile Internet. This is just for phoned.

Wifi Internet which is of course for other stuff including security.

What I've found in the last 5 weeks, perhaps longer than I'd realised. Even here at home I have to enable WiFi to see a Camera.

I think I'll just upgrade the CCTV. Point a cam at it and be done with this really. Big screen analogue TV just sits there. Less connections, plus the hog will have less chances.

So no. Wifi is separate (Sort of) from our base Internet.
Unplug, no wifi, but phones are OK.

Con really.

Thank you

I think @bp2008 has the right idea.

So if you unplug the power to your ml6400, do you still have Internet?

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi peeps, Goodmorning.

I'll run some more tests today as suggested by spaceman.

I looked everywhere to see if it's possible to splice my directional dual band antenna and use it on the sma terminals.
Google does not seem as smart as 8 years ago or so, so nothing found.

Thank you.

Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought I'd better report back.
So it appears there's nothing wrong with my WiFi at all!

Not great, but 38mbps is good enough out here.

Tested:
Comp
Setup A9 extender
Superb for me anyway.
So what's the problem?

According to our ISP our phones are unlimited, the wireless gets throttled when over used.

You can imagine my surprise to find the simple are throttled in the phones?!

It is not that I cannot access my outside gear with wireless. It's the phones that cannot access the wireless properly, or that they are being manipulated by the ISP.

We have A12 Galaxy's provided by them as part of the plan.

I'm stumped!

Thank you.