New lexan domes

j0rel

n3wb
Reaction score
Good morning all. Has anyone replaced their bubble domes on their cameras with aftermarket ones? My cameras work fine except for the oxidation on the covers, LTS runs a scam as they won't sell new dome covers, I have to buy a new camera. Not going to happen. Any aftermarket leads are much appreciated.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
How about using dome from a fake camera if you can't find a new one.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good morning all. Has anyone replaced their bubble domes on their cameras with aftermarket ones? My cameras work fine except for the oxidation on the covers, LTS runs a scam as they won't sell new dome covers, I have to buy a new camera. Not going to happen. Any aftermarket leads are much appreciated.
hi @j0rel

indoor or outdoor installation ?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
GOOGLE has some listed. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
But, look at DIY sky cameras too. A clear globe from an outdoor light fixture. A fish bowl.
Just a few thoughts...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Measure the dimensions of the dome and search for that. LTS is made by Hikvision so you could also search for Hikvision.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi j0rel

How many years did the current one last ?

In general, this is one reason why I prefer not to use domes in situations where I get significant UV exposure ..

note, a search on amazon showed up with various results .. try "Replacement Clear Camera Dome Cover Security Camera"

j0rel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi j0rel

In general, this is one reason why I prefer not to use domes in situations where I get significant UV exposure ..

note, a search on amazon showed up with various results .. try "Replacement Clear Camera Dome Cover Security Camera"
I have tried that, the lens installed doesn't exactly match what is available. I am concerned about rain penetration. The domes were the pick of the president of our company at the time, I am dealing with the fallout of these choices. If I know I can get away with a smaller or slightly larger dome and make sure no water is able to get in, I'm all in, but I understand IR reflection is an issue with some materials.

j0rel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi j0rel

10 years and the camera was replaced 4 years ago, but we are now getting washout at night, I have tried cleaning but it is some kind of oxidation.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
10 years and the camera was replaced 4 years ago, but we are now getting washout at night, I have tried cleaning but it is some kind of oxidation.
Washout at night .. when the IR lights are on ?

Do you have a image you can share ?

What's the camera model ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their bubble domes on their cameras with aftermarket ones?
I've done that a couple of times a while ago on Hikvision dome cameras I've bought, fixed up, and re-sold on eBay.

There is actually quite a good selection of "acrylic dome replacement" on Aliexpress, often with enough dimensional info that a chance of a match with the existing can be made.
They tend to be sold as generic sizes as opposed to replacements for specific camera models.

This is the store I last used, though it was a while back.
They also sold on eBay UK.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would be curious if something like this could be put on a new dome and extend it's life.
This company's products always work well.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would be curious if something like this could be put on a new dome and extend it's life.
This company's products always work well.
I have used that exact Meguiar's spray product, but for it's intented use, on headlights. I think one of the difficulties with trying to use it for a camera dome would be applying it in an absolutely perfect coating with the included spray-can nozzle. Remember, our camera's FOV will most likely not tolerate a wavy/orange-peel/splotchy layer so close to the original lens surface. Any of those will seriously degrade the clarity of the image. Headlights will be far more "tolerant" of this distortion, even if not ideal.

Edit: Even after curing, this is a relatively soft coating, not hard enough to consider futher refinement (polishing) post-cure.