New outdoor installation: DS-2CD3345-I

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In an effort to satisfy my obsessive-compulsion to install IP cameras at our facility I decided to add a fourth outside camera to cover one of our parking areas.

This parking area is illuminated at night by flood lights, so good IR wasn't a need. The camera needed to be installed approximately 28-feet high on the side of our building, mounted to an existing floodlight pole. As our budget is always tight I decided to go with a 4MP, 2.8mm, AliExpress, DS-2CD3345-I for $88.50. It came. It works. Yah baby.

The cable run from the LCOM surge suppressor/lightning-arrestor to the new camera is approximately 125-feet and I choose Shireen CC-1021 Outdoor Shielded solid copper cable (which was recommended in another post here at IpCamTalk.com...I can't remember who recommended it but thanks a million because this cable is super heavy duty high-quality stuff). A+++ cable IMO.

Working up 28-feet on an extension ladder is not a safe proposition, so we used a man-cage and put one of our fork trucks outside to lift the cage and the man (me) into position.

To mount the camera onto the floodlight pole I built a custom-mount using some excess StarBoard® we had laying around (free) along with a Home Depot galvanized wood fence to steel pole adapter which cost $4.97.

The installation was relatively uneventful and proceeded just about as planned...I finished up by wrapping the HIK pigtail in Coax-Seal®.

As an afterthought I added some additional camera signs (one type I purchased at Home Depot and the other I had custom made on the Internet); I see signs as a great deterrent. I'd rather be scaring the bad-guys away than handing the police a video that probably won't be very much help in apprehending the evil-doers.

Pictures are attached (and links to the products I used for this installation follow).

It was fun...but it only mollified by IP camera compulsion for a couple of days.

Now...if...I...can...just...figure...out...where...to...put...the...next...camera...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Really nice job and quality pictures you are getting there. How much are those surge suppressor?
Thank you djangel; those are LCOM "HyperLink Wireless Brand Weatherproof CAT5e 10/100 Base-T Lightning and Surge Protector - Model: ALS-CAT5EJWP" units. I bought a 3-pack of them on eBay for $40.00 a year or so ago.

I don't know who the eBay seller was (I can't locate the eBay receipt) but each one has a "Wal*Mart" sticker on it so I believe that they may have been leave-overs from a Walmart installation and I see that there is one (1) single unit on sale at eBay right now for $60.00.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For surge protection where in line do they go? If you install an eight camera system, does each run need it's own or install one for the entire system?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For surge protection where in line do they go? If you install an eight camera system, does each run need it's own or install one for the entire system?
Blake, I'm an amateur IP camera enthusiast -- not a professional -- so I'm not a very good source of definitive information. However, each of the LCOM units I run will handle only one (1) single cat5e cable run. I do know that LCOM manufactures a wide range of surge protector, lightning arrestor and surge protection products (and I have seen other such LCOM units which will handle multiple cate52 runs through one (1) single LCOM box)...

http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector?cmp=LM1

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Alright Q thanks! For what I need i think i can go the route of an ups with surge protection.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice work. We see alot of cameras get hit by lightning here in south florida and no one uses surge suppressors on cameras. We loose more PoE switches than cameras usually. Thanks for sharing the info.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes SyconsciousAu, I am running POE through them.
Thanks. Ive never really considered surge protection on the cameras themselves before. I've always considered the most likely route a lightning strike would come in is straight up the mains. Ive had a quick look and 16 port rackmount POE capable arrestors appear to be fairly cheap.