New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the after a while Blue Iris is not allowed (or loses) a connection to audio on these cams? Like maybe the cam audio goes to sleep? Video is fine.

I can usually solo the cam and hear audio, then I may go back and it's gone. Sometimes it's gone for recordings as well. If I mess around with either the phone app, or Blue Iris audio settings. like un-check/recheck "Enable Audio Channel" it seems to "wake up" and sound returns. Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

I'll mention, for me, Blue Iris has sometimes lost audio to a camera I choose to solo, and then when I simply solo a different cam it returns and I just go back to the original cam and it's back. But, they never lose audio on recordings. So, pretty sure that hiccup seems to be something different.

Liking this unit. I just ordered a 2nd unit while on sale. Anyone notice if two cams can share both the remote doorbell chimes? Like both doorbells ring equally on each remote chime.

I had the audio dropping issue. Changing audio to RTSP alternate AAC decoder fixed it for me.

1681940716003.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wish that was the case. Plugged the Reolink POE it into my Lorex NVR and nothing, no image. It lights and chimes but can't get the camera to display an image (although have had no real time to troubleshoot). Hopefully will get a chance to trouble shoot later this week. FYI: Plain vanilla out of the box Lorex NVR... not a Blue Iris device. On the other hand I back when U connected a Yousee SD-M5 doorbell, via a Ubiquiti PoE Converter, I got an instant image. Status light on doorbell of little use. When first plugged in, the status light ring is White for 30 seconds, goes out then flashes white one time... after that about every two minutes or so it comes on Blue for about 3 seconds.
So have you already setup the DB and are trying to connect it to your NVR? If not, you will need to set it up first with an POE injector or with a POE Switch if you have one on your network. The White ring is what I get when the DB is not connected to a network, that is a working network.

Unfortunately I found out from ReoLink support, these DBs Do Not have a Default IP and will need to obtain one via DHCP Server from a Router:

Reolink Team (Reolink)

Apr 14, 2023, 10:15 GMT+8

Dear David,

Thank you for choosing Reolink! This is Jeff from Reolink Support team.

There is no default IP address for the Doorbell.
As you know, the IP address of the Doorbell is assigned by your router.
So it depends on the router.

You can check the IP address of the camera via the Reolink client or the app.
Please kindly refer to
How to Check Network Information / IP Address via Reolink App
Check Network Status via Reolink Client(New Client).

Anything we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Have a nice day.

Best Regards,
Reolink Support Team-Jeff

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the after a while Blue Iris is not allowed (or loses) a connection to audio on these cams? Like maybe the cam audio goes to sleep? Video is fine.

I can usually solo the cam and hear audio, then I may go back and it's gone. Sometimes it's gone for recordings as well. If I mess around with either the phone app, or Blue Iris audio settings. like un-check/recheck "Enable Audio Channel" it seems to "wake up" and sound returns. Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

I'll mention, for me, Blue Iris has sometimes lost audio to a camera I choose to solo, and then when I simply solo a different cam it returns and I just go back to the original cam and it's back. But, they never lose audio on recordings. So, pretty sure that hiccup seems to be something different.

Liking this unit. I just ordered a 2nd unit while on sale. Anyone notice if two cams can share both the remote doorbell chimes? Like both doorbells ring equally on each remote chime.
I have a WiFi and POE version but was not able to pair two Chimes to one DB. Have not tried the other way around. two DBs to one Chime.

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the audio dropping issue. Changing audio to RTSP alternate AAC decoder fixed it for me.

View attachment 160475
Interesting, I have to do that with my RLC-833a but to be honest I never use audio from the doorbell in blue Iris because my 833 is right next to it pointed towards the garage and picks up audio so much louder than the doorbell does. My doorbell is very low volume compared to the DUO2 or 833 that I have. The DUO2 I can hear my next door neighbor walking on his back porch in socks 100 feet away to the right.

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a WiFi and POE version but was not able to pair two Chimes to one DB. Have not tried the other way around. two DBs to one Chime.
Have you tried pairing the following receiver so you can use an existing mechanical or digital chime with it? I ordered one and just need to figure out how to connect power to it, then I’m going to give it a try.
QIACHIP 433Mhz Universal Wireless...

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting, I have to do that with my RLC-833a but to be honest I never use audio from the doorbell in blue Iris because my 833 is right next to it pointed towards the garage and picks up audio so much louder than the doorbell does. My doorbell is very low volume compared to the DUO2 or 833 that I have. The DUO2 I can hear my next door neighbor walking on his back porch in socks 100 feet away to the right.
The audio is low on the doorbell, I have the gain set to 140% to balance it out.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

cc4005

n3wb
Reaction score
Different approach.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Different approach.
So looks like placing the relay at the transformer to get power, that's a good idea.

1681995351197.png

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome. I do think that did it! Been up running with no drop out all night and all day now :) Thank you!!

I have the new firmware that disappeared running, and currently have the "make" set to ONVIF instead of the Reolink as you have it. Seems I do not have a substream available that way. Any other advantage to running the Reolink, or not really important?

Thanks again!

Attachments

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So have you already setup the DB and are trying to connect it to your NVR? If not, you will need to set it up first with an POE injector or with a POE Switch if you have one on your network. The White ring is what I get when the DB is not connected to a network, that is a working network.

Unfortunately I found out from ReoLink support, these DBs Do Not have a Default IP and will need to obtain one via DHCP Server from a Router:
{snip - Removed Reolink reply}
Hi David, Thanks for the info. When I have my DB set up and connected to my NVR and the network, my NVR acknowledges the camera but displays no video. My NVR is a POE (25 Watt p/port) so I was thinking I could avoid the expense of an injector. However, you identified Reolink state the IP address is assigned by the router. Unfortunately my router only displays the address of the NVR not the IP for the individual port connected devices (DHCP.) Reconsidering about your advice and if I understand your diection, the injector would allow me to connect the DB to my network outside of my NVR and identify the IP of the camera then assign static IP address to the DB that is outside the DHCP server range. Is that the idea or have i missed something? Sorry, up until now every device I've connected to my NVR has functioned so I'm in new territory when looking onto injectors, injectors that do or do not support passthrough, swtches etc . Not sure which device would be most beneficial / needed. I'm not expecting any guarantees just your best guess guidance.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi David, Thanks for the info. When I have my DB set up and connected to my NVR and the network, my NVR acknowledges the camera but displays no video. My NVR is a POE (25 Watt p/port) so I was thinking I could avoid the expense of an injector. However, you identified Reolink state the IP address is assigned by the router. Unfortunately my router only displays the address of the NVR not the IP for the individual port connected devices (DHCP.) Reconsidering about your advice and if I understand your diection, the injector would allow me to connect the DB to my network outside of my NVR and identify the IP of the camera then assign static IP address to the DB that is outside the DHCP server range. Is that the idea or have i missed something? Sorry, up until now every device I've connected to my NVR has functioned so I'm in new territory when looking onto injectors, injectors that do or do not support passthrough, swtches etc . Not sure which device would be most beneficial / needed. I'm not expecting any guarantees just your best guess guidance.
So you don't have to have a router per se, just need a DHCP Server to assign an IP to your DB. Presently I am working on setting up a DHCP Server on my Window's Laptop to assign an IP to my POE DB to see if you can setup the DB without a router.

I have only played with a few NVRs so bear with me. Your Lorex (Dahua or Skywatch) NVR has a built in DHCP Server, I assume, which makes it PnP in your words. Are you able to see the IP addresses of your cameras in your NVR? If so, does your DB have an assigned IP? Or if you know the IP range your NVR is assigning, you could assign a static IP in the same subnet/range as your other Cameras but if your plan is to leave it on the NVR I would keep it DHCP.

Since every node/device on a TCP/IP network needs an IP address, your NVR acts as it's on router/network/subnet and has a route set back to your Main Router.

There are several possibilities here, it could be that you need to turn on RTSP in your DB to get an image on your NVR, by default both of my DBs (WiFi & POE) where Off. This would require you to get into the DB's Client or Web interface. If you know the IP assigned to your DB and have a way to get to the web interface on the DB you could turn On RTSP. (I can't remember if HTTP/HTTPS is turned On by default, I would assume so). When I get a chance I will check once I get my POE DB back up...

Sorry for long post, so if it were me:
I would find out/take note the IP range of your NVR or your Camera's IPs.
I would then plug your DB to a POE injector and to your switch which is on your router's network.
I would then download the Windows Client on a PC on the same network and connect to your DB via their IUD by clicking the + (you can find your UID by the barcode on the DB)
1682179873742.png
Once connected to the DB I would turn on RTSP under network/Advanced/Port Settings (I actually turned On everything that was turned Off)
1682179930049.png
1682180014237.png
1682180061537.png
This next step is going to be up to you but I would leave DHCP alone in the DB and try to reconnect the DB to your NVR and see if it gets assigned an IP from your NVR and see if you can now see an image.

I will stop here and wait for your results so if the above don't work we can put your DB outside of your NVR's network.

HTH

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good News...

You do Not have to connect the ReoLink Doorbell to a Router for Initial Setup. It does need to obtain an IP via a DHCP Server though. I will work on a full write up for future DB Installers...

Basically what I did is download the ReoLink Windows Client and downloaded this Free Portable Windows DCHP Server on my Laptop.
I turned off my WiFi on the Laptop (No Internet), I connected the ReoLink POE Doorbell to a POE Injector and connected it to my Ethernet port on the Laptop.
Disabled Anti-Virus Firewall (Defender)
Set an IP and Subnet Mask on the Ethernet NIC (No Gateway/DNS) on the Laptop
Started the DHCP Server (Read the readme.txt from the Zip), very easy to Setup/Run
Rebooted Doorbell (Unplugged/Plugged in Ethernet Cable)
Right Away the Doorbell showed up in the ReoLink Windows Client ready to be Initialized/Setup

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can confirm Only HTTPS was turned On by Default. Pretty sure you will need to Setup up the DB first before you connect it to your NVR.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good News...

You do Not have to connect the ReoLink Doorbell to a Router for Initial Setup. It does need to obtain an IP via a DHCP Server though. I will work on a full write up for future DB Installers...

Basically what I did is download the ReoLink Windows Client and downloaded this Free Portable Windows DCHP Server on my Laptop.
I turned off my WiFi on the Laptop (No Internet), I connected the ReoLink POE Doorbell to a POE Injector and connected it to my Ethernet port on the Laptop.
Disabled Anti-Virus Firewall (Defender)
Set an IP and Subnet Mask on the Ethernet NIC (No Gateway/DNS) on the Laptop
Started the DHCP Server (Read the readme.txt from the Zip), very easy to Setup/Run
Rebooted Doorbell (Unplugged/Plugged in Ethernet Cable)
Right Away the Doorbell showed up in the ReoLink Windows Client ready to be Initialized/Setup
SETTING UP REOLINK DOORBELL FOR FIRST TIME
GOAL: Initial Setup of ReoLink Doorbell (DB) with Zero Internet Access (This works on both the POE and WiFi versions)
Always Bench Test before Install

In order to initially communicate with the ReoLink DB you will need to assign an IP via a DHCP Server. This can be done, of course, with your Router or you can follow these instructions to have the Doorbell fully independent from any Internet access upon Initial Setup. (If you use your Router, you could temporarily remove Internet access and accomplish the same results but where is the fun in that ;) )

POWER REQUIREMENTS:
There are two ways you can supply power to the DB POE version and one way for the DB WiFi version. Both have two terminals for power, the WiFi version comes with a Power Brick (24.0V ~ 0.5A) and jumper wires, whereas the POE version does not.
1682280581358.png

POE DB Power:
1. Connect a Power Source to the two terminals (ex. Doorbell Transformer or a Power Brick)​
OR (But NEVER BOTH 1. and 2.)
2. Connect Power through a POE Switch or a POE Injector (This is the POE Injector I used)​

WiFi DB Power:
1. Connect a Power Source to the two terminals (ex. Doorbell Transformer or a Power Brick)​
NOTE: I connected mine with a 16V / 10VA builder grade transformer with no problems​

You can plug in an Ethernet Cable from your POE Injector to your Laptop or PC
(WAIT until you install/run the DHPC Server before plugging in Ethernet Cable to DB (Booting Up DB))

SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS:

You will need the following two programs on your PC/Laptop:

My Laptop has an Ethernet and WiFi NIC. After I downloaded/installed the above programs I Temporarily Disabled my WiFi (Internet), you can do the same with your PC

Temporarily Disable your Anti-Virus Firewall:
1682280611982.png

Configure your Ethernet NIC with an IP and a Subnet Mask
(I would choose an IP in the same subnet range you plan to
have your Doorbell in) (No Gateway or DNS needed):
1682280870090.png

DHCP SERVER WINDOWS STAND-ALONE SETUP:
For Setup Instructions Read the readme.txt file in the downloaded Zip
(During Setup (dhcpwiz.exe) I took default settings except I chose my Ethernet NIC, checked HTTP (Web Server) and clicked on Write INI file button)

On the Last Window click the Admin Button:
1682281013363.png

Next click on Install:
1682281042780.png

Then click on Start:
1682281067127.png
1682281079091.png

Your DHCP Server is now Running

NOTE: When you are done using your DHCP Server be sure to Stop and
Remove the Service by launching/running the dhcpsrv.exe file

Click on Admin:
1682281161013.png

Click on Stop:
1682281182487.png

Click on Remove:
1682281210734.png
1682281223173.png

Your DHCP Server is now no longer Running/Installed…

Now you can plug in your Ethernet Cable to your DB (Boot up your Doorbell)

Run/Launch the ReoLink Windows Client

Click on + to add Device, you should see your Doorbell right away
(if not click on circle Scan Device(s) in LAN)
1682281364613.png

Once Added it will Initialize and have you change your Password and then Rename your Doorbell (this did not work for me so I just closed the window and renamed in the settings)

For those connecting the DB to your NVR you will need to turn On RTSP & ONVIF in Network/Advanced/Port Settings

(The only thing that was defaulted On was HTTPS so I turned everything (RTMP/HTTP/RTSP/ONVIF) On)
1682281410453.png
1682281418661.png

HTH

Last edited: