New Reolink Wired POE Doorbell Cam ?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very true... which is why I assigned the Reolink DB Port Three... as it was already named Doorbell because it's where my old YouSee doorbell was assigned. I still have 3 cameras in boxes that need to be installed, cables run etc, Years ago I was planning on going with Blue Iris but walking thru Costco one day I got a deal that was too good to pass up... It was an open box Lorex "display" piece. 16 Channels, 8TB storage 12 Cameras - Two PTZ, Two w Optical Zoom all of 12 of them 4K... twelve 100 foot rolls of Cat 5. The Lorex app (although not the slickest interface, allows me to monitor all the cameras and get alerts to my phone, I can even view the cameras on our Alexa Show "Alexa show me camera two" etc ... Yes. I know its cheesy but the entire bundle had been marked down multiple times. When I stumbled across it the price was $425 out the door. Figure it wasn;t selling becasue it wasn't much to look... at all this assorted stuff haphazardly packed in some beat up Lorex boxes but they said I could return it if it didn't work. I grabbed it thinking it was worth it for the 12 cameras alone. Its now a little almost 5 years old but working too well to consider replacing. Looks like I need to knock down the spider webs obscuring Camera 7.. Camera 3 the Reolink DB has yet to be installed... wanted to make sure I had it up and running first.

View attachment 161371
I fully understand. When I first started, I too looked at NVRs. They are very convenient. Then I found IPCamTalk ;) The guys here have helped me spend my money, LOL, ok, ok, it was me drooling over their setups, haha, anyway I have helped a friend install some cameras at a business and he needed me to setup them on their NVR, it was very easy. I even have a LaView NVR here that I was going to have my son use but talked him into running BI on an old PC. He now has more CAMs than me :D

Is there any firmware or software updates for your NVR that will allow CAM Web access? In the future, you could always find an used NVR, now a days they include AI. BI does have a learning curve, I am still playing with it, huge amount of options, probably why it is the best NVR software out.

Once you get the ReoLink installed you will see why we are all bragging about this DB.:headbang:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My World in Blue Iris:
1682771793288.png

I am presently testing AI to detect UPS, USPS, FedEx and Amazon trucks (Top left CloneCAM), the goal is be alerted upon Deliveries.

As you can see the Person and Car detections (Red Icons) on the left 04-24 using CodeProject.AI in Blue Iris. That was me checking our Mail so the Doorbell CAM (DB) got me Leaving the house, the FrontCAM got me walking to the Mailbox then Returning and the DB got the final Snapshot of me entering our porch. The AI stuff is fun to play with. My wife and I do get Push Notifications on our phones from Blue Iris through Home Assistant via an OpenVPN connection to our pfSense router, wow that was a mouthful. I am all into security...I am an Anti-Cloud Guy. :headbang:

Looks like we got a good rain storm that came through last night, everything is soaked...Hopefully it filled our Pool...:cool:

Got my POE DB (top middle CAM) in my office running/waiting, still have the plastic lens cover on it :), one day will get the Ethernet Cable ran to install it, will be a very easy install since I already have the WiFi version installed. PnP :p

Lastly (Haha, there really is no such thing as Lastly for me), I have two CAMs waiting for cable to be ran for the two sides of our house. All of this Tinkering keeps me out of my wife's hair ;)

Last edited:

CanadaBri

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally got my doorbell installed over the weekend. It was not a straightforward job, although it could have been much easier if I had gone the 3D Printer template route. Any idea how much it would cost to have one of those templates printed?

My old doorbell was pretty large and horizontally oriented.

0-old-doorbell.jpg1-pre-fix-hole_in_wall.jpg

The hole in the brick wall was big, so I had a mason come over and fix that.
4-post-brick-fix-hole_in_wall.jpg

But then the new hole was still a bit too large for the bracket to screw into anything.
5-post-fix-mount_bracket_issue.jpg

I do not have a 3D printer, and didnt want to wait really. So I got creative with my Dremel.
6-retrofit-electrical_box.jpg7-retrofit-electrical_box_sealant.jpg
8-reolink-installed.jpg

Yep I have to clean up that brick a little..

I might still try the angle bracket but only if the angle bracket will let there is enough brick for the angle bracket to bite into.

How many here are using the angle bracket for your install? I have another camera that looks back at the door. Maybe it would be nice for the doorbell to see more of the area where someone is standing. Not sure.

10-doorbell-view.jpg

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got my doorbell installed over the weekend. It was not a straightforward job, although it could have been much easier if I had gone the 3D Printer template route. Any idea how much it would cost to have one of those templates printed?

My old doorbell was pretty large and horizontally oriented.

View attachment 161571View attachment 161572

The hole in the brick wall was big, so I had a mason come over and fix that.
View attachment 161573

But then the new hole was still a bit too large for the bracket to screw into anything.
View attachment 161574

I do not have a 3D printer, and didnt want to wait really. So I got creative with my Dremel.
View attachment 161575View attachment 161576
View attachment 161577

Yep I have to clean up that brick a little..

I might still try the angle bracket but only if the angle bracket will let there is enough brick for the angle bracket to bite into.

How many here are using the angle bracket for your install? I have another camera that looks back at the door. Maybe it would be nice for the doorbell to see more of the area where someone is standing. Not sure.

View attachment 161580
First off, Great job, it looks much better than what was there before. The Wedge that comes with our DB is a 15 degree and just stacks on top of the flat mount. Since I have two DBs, I had to use two wedges, which also stack, so I ended up with a 30 degree angle.

Secondly, your Mason guy did a Great job. Guessing you had some extra brick? Putting a J-box was also a great idea/fix. I like how the Reolink mount has slots to be able to adjust the screws, in my case I was able to use the same screw holes from my previous DB,

What did you use to cover the J-Box? Again great job on the concrete wall part too.

You might want to find someone locally there to print your wedge. All they will need is the CAD file, which if you need a change done they should be able to do it before printing. I really can't see it cost more than $10-20 My nephew was suppose to print me one to test, he said it would of only cost less than a dollar in material.

I started a collection of different ones...these all have .stl file extensions.

1682949830227.png

This is one of the sites I found these at, well it actually only has links to other sites...

CanadaBri

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Secondly, your Mason guy did a Great job. Guessing you had some extra brick? Putting a J-box was also a great idea/fix. I like how the Reolink mount has slots to be able to adjust the screws, in my case I was able to use the same screw holes from my previous DB,
Yes, I had spare original bricks, so that part was easy for the mason. The Jbox works, but needed a lot of modification. On the right side of the pic, I cut a small slot in the back and then used a long corner brace as a sort of "grip" to pinch the brick on the other side. It does not make the box stable in the hole, but it does prevent someone from simply pulling it out of the hole. The screw holes on the jbox though are also not the same distance apart as the mounting holes on the Reolink bracket. So I had to take another corner brace and trim it also.. drill and tap a couple holes so it could be mounted on the bottom.. then drill and tap a hole that would be used for the lower screw to attach the mounting bracket.

What did you use to cover the J-Box? Again great job on the concrete wall part too.
If you are talking about the "glue" like stuff... that is LePage Concrete Masonry Sealant. I also drilled a few holes in the sides of the Jbox to allow me to squeeze sealant on the sides for better adhesion. It is sticky stuff for sure, but just as advertised it works well on vertical applications. I would say though that the cure time will be more like a week than 24 hrs. Once it is sufficiently dry, I can use my Dremel with a wire brush disk to clean the part of the brick that got some on it.

Concrete Masonry Sealant

But if you mean a face place to cover the JBox.. nothing. The Reolink mount bracket screws right into where my two screws are seen in some of the photos.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I had spare original bricks, so that part was easy for the mason. The Jbox works, but needed a lot of modification. On the right side of the pic, I cut a small slot in the back and then used a long corner brace as a sort of "grip" to pinch the brick on the other side. It does not make the box stable in the hole, but it does prevent someone from simply pulling it out of the hole. The screw holes on the jbox though are also not the same distance apart as the mounting holes on the Reolink bracket. So I had to take another corner brace and trim it also.. drill and tap a couple holes so it could be mounted on the bottom.. then drill and tap a hole that would be used for the lower screw to attach the mounting bracket.

If you are talking about the "glue" like stuff... that is LePage Concrete Masonry Sealant. I also drilled a few holes in the sides of the Jbox to allow me to squeeze sealant on the sides for better adhesion. It is sticky stuff for sure, but just as advertised it works well on vertical applications. I would say though that the cure time will be more like a week than 24 hrs. Once it is sufficiently dry, I can use my Dremel with a wire brush disk to clean the part of the brick that got some on it.

Concrete Masonry Sealant

But if you mean a face place to cover the JBox.. nothing. The Reolink mount bracket screws right into where my two screws are seen in some of the photos.
So you did not use the flat mounting bracket and then the Mount Plate to it?

CanadaBri

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you did not use the flat mounting bracket and then the Mount Plate to it?
A flat mounting bracket would have been a great thing... but there was only the metal mount plate, the wedge, and the doorbell in my box. Just went through the box again. There was never a flat mounting bracket in mine. That would have save me a lot of time.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A flat mounting bracket would have been a great thing... but there was only the metal mount plate, the wedge, and the doorbell in my box. Just went through the box again. There was never a flat mounting bracket in mine. That would have save me a lot of time.
My mistake. I guess I had in my head the flat mounts that came with my other DB. You are right, only the Wedge and Plate came with this DB. I think I am doing way too much these days, way too many projects...

1682957667570.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, to add to my dementia, I have been up since 3am in which I was woke up to a crash sound. All I could think of is someone came through a window and knocked stuff down while crawling in. This is what I found, my wife's stuff, that she was going through yesterday, fell off her sewing machine. I did not pick it up, just left it for her when she woke up :) I am the type that once I am up, I am up...will go to bed early tonight...

1682958122217.png

CanadaBri

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A few things I have noticed so far about the doorbell (actually the apps)...

You can setup 2 types of accounts : administrators and users. The described difference is that admins can config and change settings.. add users, etc. So a 'user' should be able to do everything else. But I have found (on the android app at least) that a user cannot do 2-way talk with the doorbell. It said the user does not have access... when I created a new admin, then the android app logged in with that account was able to do 2-way talk. I am hoping this is a bug that will be fixed in the app soon.

And I am not sure of this - I am an android user, others in the house are apple users. Apple app was either not getting notifications, or could not get notifications because another device was already logged in with that user account. Does anyone know if the account-to-device must be 1:1 for proper functioning (notifications maybe only going to 1st device logged in with account?)... if its any number of devices capable of using a single DB account, then it is more likely permissions on the phone, but not being an iPhone user I don't know where to look.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These would of saved you a bunch of time, they just became available:

1683026071819.png

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just an FYI - Amazon has the POE doorbell cameras on sale again for $85. It is available at this price from time to time, but it does match the lowest price it's been sold for on Amazon.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A few things I have noticed so far about the doorbell (actually the apps)...

You can setup 2 types of accounts : administrators and users. The described difference is that admins can config and change settings.. add users, etc. So a 'user' should be able to do everything else. But I have found (on the android app at least) that a user cannot do 2-way talk with the doorbell. It said the user does not have access... when I created a new admin, then the android app logged in with that account was able to do 2-way talk. I am hoping this is a bug that will be fixed in the app soon.

And I am not sure of this - I am an android user, others in the house are apple users. Apple app was either not getting notifications, or could not get notifications because another device was already logged in with that user account. Does anyone know if the account-to-device must be 1:1 for proper functioning (notifications maybe only going to 1st device logged in with account?)... if its any number of devices capable of using a single DB account, then it is more likely permissions on the phone, but not being an iPhone user I don't know where to look.
I don't use the App but I know several here do. What Version is the Apple and Android?

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New problem. The video feed from my Reolink DB has a delay that grows progressively with time. Example: If I "reset" my Lorex NVR the video feed from my DB camera displayed on my monitor has about a half second delay (not real time but no big deal) However, after a hour or so the delay grows to about 3 seconds. If I wait 5 or 6 hours the video delay is pushing 15 seconds. Unfortunately the delay continues to grow as time goes by. Within 24 hous later the delay is a full minute or more before my monitor displays what the doorbell camera is seeing. If I reset my NVR the DB goes back to displaying realtime. NOTE: At first I was thinking the problem was with my NVR... but... this problem never happened with my old YouSee SD-M5 DB. Just to double check I swapped the Reolink with my old Yousee and 24 hours later the video feed is still instant (realtime)... no delay. Any ideas...?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you have your DB's FPS and Bitrate Max set at?

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you have your DB's FPS and Bitrate Max set at?
Not a adjustable setting with the NVR software so I'm guessing you mean he Reolink Client... let me check. Any suggestions as to what I should set them at? (say 5Mbps if bitrate is encoded H.264 or 2.5Mbps at H.265?) FPS? Don't know what this cameras is capable of. Current settings are Stream: resolution 2560x1920 - FPS 20 - ver. - Bitrate 4096 Fluent FPS 10 - Bitrate 256

Last edited: