Newbie warning- need help

sonicpips

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi i have been running the camera setup for a few years with on problems. this was my setup

Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P 8 Channel POE Plug N Play Hi Def NVR Recorder

Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS Compact Weatherproof Vandal Dome 3MP IP Security Camera 2.8mm W/ Built in Mic
Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-I Compact Weatherproof Vandal Dome 3MP IP Security Camera 4mm

I had some crazy idea that i wanted to upgrade 2 of my camera's to the 4MP. I replaced 2 of the 2.8mm 3MP with 2 4MP dome camera model DS-2CD2142FWD-IS. I stuck with Hikvision because of the plug and play feature. I just expected to install the new camera and reboot the NVR and it would work. That's not the case. The problem is i Can't bring the new camera online. It is always offline no matter what i do. I also cant login to the camera via the ip address on the box or the IP that the NVR gives it. 5 hours later and i am clueless
Thanks

Also when I do the SADP i am only seeing my NVR.and no other cameras

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedyDave

n3wb
Reaction score
Plug the new camera(s) directly into your PC.
Run SADP and change the IP address to be in the same range as your other cameras
Do this for both of your new cameras.
Reconnect your PC to the network.
Plug the cams into the NVR and all should be good

sonicpips

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried what you said and it didn't work, I also went online and loaded the newest firmware for my NVR which is 2.3.11 I am starting to think my NVR does not support the newer camera, Does anyone here running a Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P with DS-2CD2142FWD-IS camera's. Thanks,
Trent

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running the same NVR as yours with 5 cameras, one of which is a 2CD-2342WD-I (a 4 MP turret). So I believe the DS-7608NI-SE/8P supports the 4MP cameras.

SADP will not see cameras that are attached to the NVR because they are connected to the NIC which is not visible to SADP. Consequently, I did have to perform what SpeedyDave recommended, ie connect the new 4 MP camera to a computer, run SADP and adjust the cam's IPv4 address to match the NVR NIC setup (the camera must have an IPv4 address consistent with the NVR NIC's address).

Incidentally, my NVR's FW version is V3.3.6 build 151229, so your version 2.3.11 is rather antiquated. Look for a newer version, should you absolutely need to update the FW.

Good luck

-S

sonicpips

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Schmark,
I tried to update the firmware with the same one you have and i keep getting Firmware mismatch. I have the newest firmware for the NI-SE. (2.3.11) I don't know whats different but the newer NVR are all NI-E1 I don't know if it's possible to upgrade to the NI-E1 with out buying a new NVR. Any other idea?
Thanks

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recommend you do the following steps::

1. What is your NVR's NIC IPv4 addresses?
2. What are the addresses of all your other cameras attached to the NVR? This is to ensure you pick one for the 4M camera that's not used (in step 5).
3. Connect the 4MP camera to your Windows machine, either through a POE switch, or directly to the PC's ethernet port. In the latter case, you must provide 12V to the camera on its power connector.
4. Run SADP; it should recognize he camera.
5. Change the camera's IPv4 address per what you found out in step 2 (you change only the rightmost block of NIC's IPv4 address numbers.) For example if your NIC's address is aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd, choose an address such as aaa.bbb.ccc.010 assuming 010 is not already used by your other cameras.
6. Save (will require the camera's password)
7. Reconnect the camera to the NVR and within 1 minute it should be recognized (it takes about 1 minute to boot up).

Post your results here. Good luck.

-S

sonicpips

n3wb
Reaction score
Here a pic attached,
I did that already and the NVR will see the Camera. with Plug and Play i can't get the firmware to show but IF i do a manual IP input on the camera it will recognize the camera firmware but never show an image. I can never get it to go online.
IMG_3471.JPG

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd like you to go back to SADP. Assuming that it recognizes the camera, double click on the IPv4 address shown in SADP. That should open the camera's web interface, allowing you to login and navigate the camera's menus to -hopefully- see an image. SADP is a simple interface to the camera and if it does not work there, it won't work with the NVR. If it works with SADP, there is a good chance it will work with the NVR, provided the camera's address is correct (from your screen it appears to be correct.)

For what it's worth, here are screen photos from my setup corresponding to the photo you just posted. Highlighted is the 4MP camera (D3).

-S
IMG_4878.JPGIMG_4879.jpg

sonicpips

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is a pic of SADP on my network. The only way I can log onto the camera is if i Disconnect from my main computer and configure my laptop for the 192.168.254.*** network. I did that and here are a few screen shots of the Camera config
IMG_3472.JPGIMG_3473.JPGIMG_3474.JPG

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I think I see the problem: your IPv4 Gateway (second photo) is 192.168.1.1. I believe think it should be **the same** as your NVR NIC's IPv4 address. Further, the camera's IPv4 address should have the same 1st three blocks of numbers as the gateway (your camera is 192.168.254.13, while the gateway is 192.168.1.1 that's a total mismatch)

So first, check your NVR NIC address (see my second photo below), then enter that in the camera's Gateway address (see my first photo below), then adjust the camera's address to have the same number blocks as the left three blocks of the Gateway address. Let us know how that works.

BTW, all your cameras should have the same Gateway address (that of the NVR NIC). Check the Gateway addresses of your other cameras (the ones that work).

I attach 2 photos of my setup showing (in blue ellipses) the camera IPv4 Gateway address (really should end with .1 instead of .100, but it works) and the NVR NIC address. **They Should Match**. Note that my camera IPv4 address (top of the first photo) shares the same first 3 numbers as the Gateway.

-S

2CD2342WD-I network config.JPGIMG_4880.jpg

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before you do any of the above

Update your NVR firmware to 3.0.15 R6, reboot and then plug your camera into one of the PoE ports, wait 5 mins.

Voila!

Btw: As helpful as @Schmark is being, you probably have the newer DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR is you have v3.3.4, that's completely different. Generally there is no need to adjust any settings except to activate them for older firmware. v2.x firmware on the older DS-7608NI-SE/P do not support the newer 4MP cameras. And OP you have DS-7608NI-SE/P not 8P, so that probably added to the confusion.

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you Del Boy, I was indeed unaware that earlier versions of the FW did not support 4MP cameras. Thinking about it, I'm not clear how the NVR knows a given camera is 4MP vs 3MP, other than it **MAY** receive more data per frame, though even that is not necessarily true because of compression and other in-camera processing.

I recommend the OP updates the FW to V3.3.6 as I have been using it for several months without any issues (so far). I attach the ZIP of V3.3.6 below (strange because ipcamtalk does not accept ZIP files as attachments)

-S

Attachments

sonicpips

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Del Boy,
Atttached is a PIC of my system info. I couldn't find the software your talking about.. But i did try other 3.* firmware and it always says firmware mismatch when I try to upgrade. Are you saying it can't be done? If I want to upgrade 2 of my 3MP camera to a 4MP camera? I need to buy another NVR? I got the NVR about 2 years ago. Just was looking for better quality video as we had some young teens going around and stealing in the neighborhood.

IMG_3475.JPG

sonicpips

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Schmark,
I did what you asked and it didn't work either, I am starting to think the newer camera's won't work with the older software. Attached is some pics. Thank you for taking the time you did to help me.!!!!
IMG_3478.JPGIMG_3477.JPGIMG_3476.JPG

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@sonicpips
Wow, I'm running out of ideas. A couple of notes/questions:
1. For the gateway address, use 1 (instead of 100) for the last group of digits. It is standard practice, one that I did not follow (but it still works)
2. When you update your NVR firmware, do you use a memory stick in the USB port, do you update from the NVR web access, or do you use TFTP? Personally, I prefer the memory stick approach (because that's how I updated my NVR.) For my cameras I used a combination of TFTP (needs to be connected to the PC) and web access (no disconnections needed.)
3. I see that your camera provides an image in SADP, so the camera functions properly. All fingers point to the NVR at this point.

-S

sonicpips

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Schmark,
I updated the NVR directly with a flash drive. I am also convinced that my NVR is the problem. Thanks for your time

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you Del Boy, I was indeed unaware that earlier versions of the FW did not support 4MP cameras. Thinking about it, I'm not clear how the NVR knows a given camera is 4MP vs 3MP, other than it **MAY** receive more data per frame, though even that is not necessarily true because of compression and other in-camera processing.

I recommend the OP updates the FW to V3.3.6 as I have been using it for several months without any issues (so far). I attach the ZIP of V3.3.6 below (strange because ipcamtalk does not accept ZIP files as attachments)

-S
No no no no no no no

you probably have the newer DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR is you have v3.3.4, that's completely different.
You can't update DS-7608NI-SE/P with DS-7608NI-E2/8P firmware!!!!

Update your NVR firmware to 3.0.15 R6, reboot and then plug your camera into one of the PoE ports, wait 5 mins.
Here it is (just in case someone else needs it):

DZ_DM8107_MUL_STD_V3.0.15_151230.zip

Schmark

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Del Boy: The OP has a DS-7608NI-E2/8P (not DS-7608NI-SE/P) as shown in the photo attached to post #13 of this thread. And given his set of problems, I recommend the FW updates (while I also understand your position regarding FW updates . . .)

-S

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Apologies if I'm wrong but it says DS-7608NI-SE/8P

It's the SE bit which makes it different to the E2 that both you and me have. It's 99% this problem and needs v3.0.15 firmware. My position is to not update firmware unless there is a) something wrong or b) new functionality that you must have. This case it both!