No more DST!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Senate passed a bill yesterday that would eliminate the DST roll back and forward time.

However, it still need to go to the House and if passed, then to the President desk.

About time!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Great that our elected representatives have the time to work on DST changes while we're experiencing record inflation, record fuel/energy prices, an unparalleled crisis on our Southern border and a major war in Europe. Oh yeah they also voted to increase the pay of staff while we're all trying to cope with all of the above.

This does show exactly how ineffectual and stupid our elected representatives actually are.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I will say that reps from my state (Florida) introduced this bill years ago before the pandemic. It just keep dying before it could get to the floor. I'm glad its' finally getting some traction. Sure, its not important, but I have little faith in them doing important things anyway.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I will say that reps from my state (Florida) introduced this bill years ago before the pandemic. It just keep dying before it could get to the floor. I'm glad its' finally getting some traction. Sure, its not important, but I have little faith in them doing important things anyway.
That's like having faith in Brandon's foreign policy decisions.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
While you're wishing DST goes away, consider that if it does that in the dead of winter it won't be getting light out until 0900. If anything I think standard time would be the best option.

Plus the number of clocks that "self adjust" is getting larger and larger. Only the basic ones, like our mantel clock, the clock on the old stove and in the microwave need adjustment. Heck, even modern alarm clock/radios adjust themselves either from NBS or sub channels on AM and FM. Even my watch corrects itself.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m all for DST. I’m just against the time change twice a year.

I believe we are in DST right now. This is the time I like keeping. That extra hour of light in the evening is nice to get work done.

I’m ok if it doesn’t get light until 9am in the morning, I like the light longer in the evening.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Politics aside, I hope DST really does go away and I hope the rest of the world follows suit. Time zones are hard enough to deal with, without them changing twice a year.

and at different times at that!!

example:

United Kingdom All locations Sunday, 28 March Sunday, 31 October
United States Most locations Sunday, 14 March Sunday, 7 November

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Senate passed a bill yesterday that would eliminate the DST roll back and forward time.

However, it still need to go to the House and if passed, then to the President desk.

About time!
In EU we had the same proposal 2 years ago, it passed as well. With EU and the US both aiming to leave this it might be able to happen!
What I'm afraid of though is that there will be the "default" winter time all year - that would suck!

It even sounds depressive having winter time all year! :)

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Which ever way they go, they need to pick standard or DST and keep it there. For us that are still working, I don't really care what time the sun comes up. While at work, I never know if it is dark, light, raining, snowing or if the world blew away. It also sucks going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. Makes for a very long, depressing week.