Noob interested in a new system

element192

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been doing research on installing a video monitoring system at home this week and I'm kind of at a crossroads and wondering if someone can give me a little information to push me in the right direction.

My main 'stupid question' is: what is the benefit of choosing Blue Iris with a DIY (or Dell Outlet) PC and separate cameras, versus getting an "all in one box" from a company like Lorex or something at Costco? Or even the Unifi Video systems from Ubiquiti where you can get their NVR and cameras as an all in one system. It seems like the all in one systems are often cheaper than buying components individually.

Is it because of the flexibility of not being restricted to one single manufacturer? If so, is that the only reason?

This is a serious question I hope it doesn't sound rude. I'm leaning towards the Blue Iris route because I like DIY projects more than I like just buying a prebuilt kit, but want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. This is for a regular suburban home, we've just had a few break-ins in the area recently and would like a surveillance system.

I really appreciate any feedback given.

CYANiDE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Couple things:

Stay away from the Unifi Video stuff. I love Ubiquiti for their APs and Wireless radios, but their camera system leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, main reason of Blue Iris is flexibility with cameras and tweaking of features. Lorex kits have the same exact cameras for all locations. Sometimes you need a slightly different lens for a better view. BlueIris lets you use a variety of cameras which other NVRs (mostly) can't.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To add to CYANiDE's post, blue iris also lets you create custom profiles to vary things like alerts, recordings etc..you have vary the level of motion detection based on time of day (even relative to sunrise sunset)...have separate levels of motion detection for recording vs alerts...turning alerts on on of via your mobile app.
The downside is that it requires a windows pc, that will consume more power than an NVR and will require some upkeep. NVR's are generally more stable..however i have 20 or so blue iris pc's running super stable..
Dont build your own...get it from the dell outlet as you suggested when they have a sale...depending on how many cams you will have and at what resolution you intend to run them, you may need anywhere from an i3-haswell to an i7.
Bottom line, if you want a plug and play solution that you will set and forget, an ip system (swann/lorex) form costco is the way to go..if you want to tinker then blue iris is for you.

tjl

n3wb
Reaction score
From what I see in kit systems. They are very hi cost for what you get, and not adapatble. I built a system, all the cams cable router power box for 12 cam system. Have 9 cams current. 7 1080p 2 720 and it's just awsome. And my cost was under 1200. Now I shopped cams and bought them all off Amazon .7 are Devele brand and 2 are xonz . The Devele are realy nice comercial grade units. I have most 4 mm lens and 2 7mm. I have the system connected to a hdmi splitter and can view cams on our 2 50 tvs. And also the remote view works great from our phones or tablets. You should be able to build a better system cheaper than the boxed units .

element192

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. That's kind of what I suspected. I'm definitely more of the tinkering type, so I think building my own system with Blue Iris is the way to go.
CYANiDE, I'm a big fan of their networking equipment as well, that's why I was so excited when I saw that they made video equipment. Thanks for giving me the heads up on them though. Which cameras do you have a preference for?
Fenderman, the Dell Outlet idea was actually taken from some of your posts (I've been reading the forums for a little while now) so I will definitely keep an eye out for a good deal. I generally like building my own computers but it seems like a Dell sale might even be cheaper somehow especially with Windows being included. I only plan on having about 4 cameras to start and up to 10 once I figure out which areas I need to fill in as time goes on. I'll still probably go with an i7 just so I don't have to worry about a lack of power down the road.
TJL, did you have an existing PC you used or did you buy a new one? Is that included in your $1,200? I'll check the cameras you have out, that's the next part I'm looking into.

element192

n3wb
Reaction score
I have another stupid question. Since I believe NVRs come with the ports for IP cameras to plug into, what is the PC equivalent to this? What hardware would I need to buy? A switch separate from my current network? My home network has a router and a gigabit switch for all wired devices. So where do I connect the camera wires?