NVR/camera compatabilty issues

Reaction score
That is beginning to sink in, mightily. I'd imagine Hikvision feels the same way too. It's like trying to stick a VHS tape into a DVD player.

Thanks so much for sticking with this and helping me out where it was possible.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah this is one of the reasons I hate Hikvision. But if you stick to all Hikvision then it's great.

Dahua is much better for this stuff. I've not been much of a help, you need to thank Saint Alastair.

Reaction score
I've not been much of a help, you need to thank Saint Alastair.
Oops! Now everyone can see why I'm having trouble. Poor attention to detail. I of course responded without checking the author of the last message.

But thanks to you as well as Alastair.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you can't return your cameras then you could buy a Super Mini NVR and use your PoE switch to run the cameras. This could be a) a backup system or b) a cheap system for a relative

Reaction score
If you can't return your cameras then you could buy a Super Mini NVR and use your PoE switch to run the cameras. This could be a) a backup system or b) a cheap system for a relative
Not that I've so well versed in the subject other than having learned about incompatibility the hard way, I wish I was informed enough as to have recognized the advantage of the "Mini" previously.

For now I'm gonna stay stubborn and stick with my Hikvision money pit.

Maybe you could clear something up for me:

My Hik NVR has what is supposed to be a 16 input/channel PoE Ethernet Interface. I've been told this negates the requirement for a separate PoE switch between the LAN input/output going to the cameras, as it is exactly that (a PoE switch) built in. What is it that prevents a physical reconfiguration of the power carrying wires on my non-PoE cameras so as to direct the NVR's Ethernet Interface power to the camera, redirecting it's path through the 4 of the 8 Cat wires instead of through the normal power supply connector?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can do this but the power coming out the back is 48V, so you need some step down to 12V splitters and no special wiring.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Oops! Now everyone can see why I'm having trouble. Poor attention to detail. I of course responded without checking the author of the last message.
But thanks to you as well as Alastair.
Lol!
We're all glad that you are making progress - sharing and helping is what this forum is about.
What is it that prevents a physical reconfiguration of the power carrying wires on my non-PoE cameras so as to direct the NVR's Ethernet Interface power to the camera, redirecting it's path through the 4 of the 8 Cat wires instead of through the normal power supply connector?
As @Del Boy said above - nothing prevents you doing this. And you don't need to change any existing wiring from, NVR to camera in order to power a non-PoE camera off the NVR PoE ports.
All you need is to connect an 'active PoE splitter' on the camera end of the cable, and use the 12v that comes out of it to power the camera. I'm assuming the camera runs off 12v.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Yes 12v. Can I ask you to look at this link? It shows what is described as an "active" 802.3af injector/splitter. Is this what I need?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Active-IEEE802-3af-100Mbps-RJ45-POE-Splitter-Injector-Power-over-Ethernet-Q7PI-/401105700787?hash=item5d63c347b3:g:MTYAAOSwFqJWlckR&rmvSB=true

Must it be installed at the camera end say if the camera is 25 feet from the NVR.

I know this sounds crazy...but my ambition from the beginning was to attempt to cram pinhole cameras inside an intercom housing at my front and rear doors, so I am limited for space at that end.

So...if I plugged this 802.3af injector right into the NVR PoE port, then rerouted the power through the Cat cable instead of allowing it to go through the 802.3af injector's power connector, could it conceivably just plug into the female RJ45 connector at the Pinhole camera 25 feet away and work? I'd have to perform a little electrical surgery to reroute the power no doubt.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I've got one of them for my PTZ camera. It's not guaranteed to work with your Hikvision NVR though, bear that in mind.

802.3af requires a handshake before providing power. From a PoE switch this wouldn't be a problem, not sure about Hik NVR, maybe someone else knows.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So...if I plugged this 802.3af injector right into the NVR PoE port, then rerouted the power through the Cat cable instead of allowing it to go through the 802.3af injector's power connector, could it conceivably just plug into the female RJ45 connector at the Pinhole camera 25 feet away and work? I'd have to perform a little electrical surgery to reroute the power no doubt.
No, no, no. You don't need to do any of that.
If all you want to do is to use the NVR PoE port to connect a non-PoE camera and also supply it's power, all you need is to use the PoE splitter (not injector) at the camera end of the cable.
The active splitter you linked to looks just fine. It will supply 12v via the cable plugged into the NVR.

Reaction score
No, no, no. You don't need to do any of that.
If all you want to do is to use the NVR PoE port to connect a non-PoE camera and also supply it's power, all you need is to use the PoE splitter (not injector) at the camera end of the cable.
The active splitter you linked to looks just fine. It will supply 12v via the cable plugged into the NVR.
I'm about to get as tedious as a first year arts student. "What if...what if...." So I'm starting to realize that the "active" part of the splitter is not the introduction of power from an outboard power source (wall-wart) necessarily (and that's how I wrongly conjured up the word "injector") but rather a device to sort out the power from the data.

As you mentioned twice I must set the splitter device at the camera and not back at the NVR. It's ot possible to physically re-arrange the wiring inside the splitter (as well as at the camera's connectors) to carry on up the Cat cable with power separated from data?

This is a sticky situation concerning my use of the pinhole cameras as I don't believe the splitter will fit very well in the intercom housing where I'd planned to install them.

Reaction score
I'm looking at a very discounted 2nd hand PowerDsine PD-7012G/AC/M 12-Port PoE Midspan. Very cheap. It is up to 802.3at specs. Would that get my 12v from the NVR to the Intercom?

Reaction score
Accuse me of overkill but:

I'm looking at a very discounted 2nd hand PowerDsine PD-7012G/AC/M 12-Port PoE Midspan. Very cheap. It is up to 802.3at specs. Would that get my 12v from the NVR to the Intercom?