NVR's and my Fosccam Camera on sprint. *HELP NEEDED*

Terry Cole

n3wb
Reaction score
I know I already posted this thread, but I did it in the wrong part of the forum.
So I made this post a while ago:I'm not the best with networking, so please bare with me. If I could get some help, it would be much appreciated.

So I've been doing consulting work recently, and one of my clients asked me to do this project. He wanted a security camera set up on the east coast, that he could monitor from anywhere in the US. Naturally, I thought of portforwarding. I found the Foscam FI9900P (I believe that's the name; I don't have it on hand at the time of typing this up) for a pretty low price, not really accounting for the specs. Since the only viable option in the designated area is Sprint service, I also advised my client to pick up the Netgear Zing, the only Sprint mobile hotspot device which supports portforwarding out of the box. My overly-simplified idea was to simply portforward the router, connect the camera to it, and call it a day. As with most things in tech, this didn't work immediately. So it was back to the drawing board. I used some different programs, got a fresh device (the same hotspot, the last one was defective) and I finally got the camera working on my home network, which was not portforwarded. I verified that the Sprint hotspot was working, and I thought it would be simple from there. This is where I am now, and why I'm running into problems.

What I need to do is have a video feed which can be checked on every-so-often, so I don't need to worry about insane data charges. Right now I have been unsuccessful in even getting the camera to show up as a connected device on the router, but I do know that the camera and AirCard function normally independently. If I could get some help setting this up it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Anyways, what some of you recommended is that I use an NVR. I looked them up and they were pretty inexpensive. I understand that I might be able to utilize one to allow me to use sprint. Can someone elaborate plz?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new and just scanning the forum. I know this is an old post, but perhaps I can offer some insight to you or others that might have the same question.

With a cell network your WAN (external IP) address will more than likely change all the time. So even if you did port forward you would need to know what your current external IP address is to remote into the camera. To do this what you need to do is set up a DDNS. This is a domain name for your IP address. Then you use a DDNS update client that runs on a computer 24/7 to monitor IP changes, or in your router that supports DDNS. I know the third party router firmware DD-WRT has a DDNS option. I know Amcrest has a built in DDNS option, but not sure about Foscam.

To get a DDNS you can try https://freedns.afraid.org/ and use a client from there. Or Google "DDNS providers." First result I got. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-best-dynamic-dns-providers-can-lookup-free-today/

Hope that helps.

Oh! You may want to chose a port at 10000 and below. Cell providers might be fussy about ports higher than that. I noticed this using my own Team Speak server and the Team Speak App on my phone.