OEM hikvision 7708 NI p8

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have this nvr install about 1 year. couple days ago. I got a call. stated that can remote view the location anymore. so I went there. connected it to the monitor. and I saw the nvr in inactivate status. it connected to a ups. and firmware is 3.4.92. with 4 cameras.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have this nvr install about 1 year. couple days ago. I got a call. stated that can remote view the location anymore. so I went there. connected it to the monitor. and I saw the nvr in inactivate status. it connected to a ups. and firmware is 3.4.92. with 4 cameras.
That’s behaving like someone factory reset it either via a remote admin login or on the NVR admin GUI itself. Chances are you’ll need to set it up from scratch again unless you backed up the config elsewhere.

Also, your model number isn’t complete. If it’s an E or K series NVR (7608NI-E2/8P, or K2) the latest firmware is 3.4.96. If it’s an I series, (7608NI-I2/8P) the latest firmware is 4.1.50. I would suggest upgrading it as a matter of procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That’s behaving like someone factory reset it either via a remote admin login or on the NVR admin GUI itself. Chances are you’ll need to set it up from scratch again unless you backed up the config elsewhere.

Also, your model number isn’t complete. If it’s an E or K series NVR (7608NI-E2/8P, or K2) the latest firmware is 3.4.96. If it’s an I series, (7608NI-I2/8P) the latest firmware is 4.1.50. I would suggest upgrading it as a matter of procedure.

7608NI-E2/8P. and there is no monitor or tv there. the owner only use the cell phone remote viewing. this is the second nvr do that. did updated the firmware to 3.4.96.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
7608NI-E2/8P. and there is no monitor or tv there. the owner only use the cell phone remote viewing. this is the second nvr do that. did updated the firmware to 3.4.96.
I’ve had one issue years ago with a specific firmware upgrade tampering with user credentials. That hasn’t happened since and I’ve never had this issue once with any of the NVRs I’ve installed. I’ve worked with SE/SP series as well as E, I and K series and not one has had this issue.

Out of sheer principle, do a complete factory reset of the NVR and set it up from scratch to your liking under the latest firmware version. Backup the settings to your computer for safe keeping. If this acts up again, I would contact Hikvision support and see about getting the NVR replaced under warranty. However two of them misbehaving is fishy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you port forward it may have been hacked...

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did port forwarded 8000/ and changed the password to something like Cawhs3088tww.
The strength of the password has no bearing on a hacker’s ability to compromise a system. It *might* make It slightly more difficult, but often that’s irrelevant. Simply for the fact that the port is open is enough to wreak havoc if a vulnerability exists. It’s VPN or nothing anymore for true security. With that being said, I port forward mine solely for simplicity and that’s why it’s so widely used. Simplicity and security are often mutually exclusive and simplicity wins the general public 100% of the time. For residential setups, VPNs aren’t typically an option with residential grade networking equipment, and I’m not going to tell every homeowner to sell their internal organs to purchase a SonicWall or Cisco product that supports that level of security. The exception to this rule is commercial environments where such equipment is already established, and especially those with PCI/HIPAA compliance requirements to where opening ports is not just frowned upon, it’s forbidden to the point where you will be fined.

Do keep in mind Hikvision is one of the most widely used CCTV platforms (under a variety of brands), is Chinese based (they probe and scan you more than the TSA could ever dream of), and distributed globally (mass market, mass target) That’s a trifecta worst case scenario in terms of vulnerability potential.

Back to your issue at hand though: factory reset, change the password to something you haven’t been using throughout this mess (add caps/nums/special characters too), and go from there. You’re not doing yourself justice by walking in a straight line while being shot at. Throw in some zig zags.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The strength of the password has no bearing on a hacker’s ability to compromise a system. It *might* make It slightly more difficult, but often that’s irrelevant. Simply for the fact that the port is open is enough to wreak havoc if a vulnerability exists. It’s VPN or nothing anymore for true security. With that being said, I port forward mine solely for simplicity and that’s why it’s so widely used. Simplicity and security are often mutually exclusive and simplicity wins the general public 100% of the time. For residential setups, VPNs aren’t typically an option with residential grade networking equipment, and I’m not going to tell every homeowner to sell their internal organs to purchase a SonicWall or Cisco product that supports that level of security. The exception to this rule is commercial environments where such equipment is already established, and especially those with PCI/HIPAA compliance requirements to where opening ports is not just frowned upon, it’s forbidden to the point where you will be fined.

Do keep in mind Hikvision is one of the most widely used CCTV platforms (under a variety of brands), is Chinese based (they probe and scan you more than the TSA could ever dream of), and distributed globally (mass market, mass target) That’s a trifecta worst case scenario in terms of vulnerability potential.

Back to your issue at hand though: factory reset, change the password to something you haven’t been using throughout this mess (add caps/nums/special characters too), and go from there. You’re not doing yourself justice by walking in a straight line while being shot at. Throw in some zig zags.

Thank you. It was a ATT uverse modem. If go with vpn route, extra $$$ required and the owner don’t want to spend extra. There is nothing to take from there. All they have there is bags of flower.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. It was a ATT uverse modem. If go with vpn route, extra $$$ required and the owner don’t want to spend extra.
Then the customer can plan on spending that $$$ saved from time to time for you to come out and fix things.

Also, to add to what @CoreyX64 state regarding Hik and the Chinese, more specifically, Hikvision is OWNED by the Chinese government...and that's not hearsay or fake news.