Old PC good enough?

Reaction score
I have an old PC that might be good enough to get started with Blue Iris and a few cameras, but I'm not sure, hoping you can help me as it's my first camera station build. It was an old gaming PC, but was retired from service a couple of years ago. Still runs great.

CPU

PC Specs
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2GB GDDR5
Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS VI IMPACT
RAM: 16GB
Storage: SSD for OS, maybe WD Purple for storage?

A couple of these cameras to start, then maybe some bullet cameras later.
Axis Communications M3057-PLVE 6MP 360

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that will be fine since you have it sitting around.

Folks run 50 cameras on a 4th gen.

Follow all the optimizations in the wiki. Substreams are must regardless of the computer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an old PC that might be good enough to get started with Blue Iris and a few cameras, but I'm not sure, hoping you can help me as it's my first camera station build. It was an old gaming PC, but was retired from service a couple of years ago. Still runs great.

CPU

PC Specs
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2GB GDDR5
Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS VI IMPACT
RAM: 16GB
Storage: SSD for OS, maybe WD Purple for storage?

A couple of these cameras to start, then maybe some bullet cameras later.
Axis Communications M3057-PLVE 6MP 360
You may want to pull the video card if your MB supports on board video...check the pc's power consumption.
For 100 bux or so you can buy an eighth gen i5 pc.

Consider that blue iris is not the best option if you will be using 360 cameras...here is some info from the blue iris help file

Use this setting to inform the software that this camera has a fish-eye lens. If this camera is
mounted on a ceiling, this can capture a 360-degree view. Mounted on a wall or door, this
creates a 180-degree panorama. Your setting here determines how the camera is de-warped
when viewed via either the clip Viewer window or a remote client.
As it may be extremely CPU-intensive to render the video in this way, it is not currently
offered for live video display.

Many cameras with this feature also offer multiple video streams that can be used to break
up the warped view into several de-warped views. In this case, you may consider adding
multiple camera windows to the software, each requesting a separate view from the camera.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been using an old spare system for my BI setup since day one. It's an Intel i5-4440 and has 16GB of RAM. I did gut the power hungry graphics card out of it, because it was used for gaming previously. It has worked great and has been on 24/7 since I installed BI.