pc upgrade i5 or i7

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am upgrading my pc and wondering if i can use an i5 4th gen or i should go for the i7. I will be running blue iris with 12 cameras in a day care center -only in the hallways but there will be a lot of triggered recordings.
Blue iris should really be optimized to make better use of the gpu. The cameras will be hikvision 2132s

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i understand BI is run by a one man show but he should hire a fresh mind to look at the code and see why it is so intensive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i understand BI is run by a one man show but he should hire a fresh mind to look at the code and see why it is so intensive.
Im sure he knows what hes doing...and why its happening...most likely the motion detection and that the video is displayed in HD even when in matrix mode (i believe other vms use the substream for the matrix, but im not sure)...dont know why he doesnt work on onvif-S, or at least integrate in camera motion for the popular brands like hikvision (though i prefer the schedule and alert flexibility of blue iris motion detection which is not available in camera)..regardless hiring someone else would increase the cost just like all the other options out there...

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i am also sure he knows what he is doing but very often a fresh look by another programmer can make all the difference. And you can get really top programmers these days on the freelance sites for very cheap. I would be glad to pay a premium for an optimized code considering the rich features set and really great price

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i am also sure he knows what he is doing but very often a fresh look by another programmer can make all the difference. And you can get really top programmers these days on the freelance sites for very cheap. I would be glad to pay a premium for an optimized code considering the rich features set and really great price
Its not that simple...hes not going to share the code with someone else...also the selling point for most users is the price, I dont think he can increase it much without loosing a lot of sales....Ill bet most BI users are simply using a couple of vga cameras so it makes little difference to them..
I think if enough folks make the request he will make it a priority and simply do it himself....we need to ask for it - I know I have.
To me its no big deal since i prefer using blue iris motion...and the cost of an i5 haswell is 300 for the entire pc, 500 for an i7 haswell.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
does it matter which i7 s or k and 4770 or 4790

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
does it matter which i7 s or k and 4770 or 4790
S is more efficient but a bit less powerful (not by much though)...I would get the 4790 maybe even the 4790k (if you want some extra headroom) if you are going to be running the cameras in 3mp mode...since you say you will be using these in the hallway, you may be better off running in 1080p and adjust the camera so that the long edge is horizontal...

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how do i make that adjustment? In BI or the Cameras? i assume that is the same as what someone else mentioned to me as corridor mode.
What initial adjustments (After the time and the ip and the user) should i make to the cameras before adding them to blue iris . i was thinking fps at 10 , i frame at 10 anything else?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
how do i make that adjustment? In BI or the Cameras? i assume that is the same as what someone else mentioned to me as corridor mode.
What initial adjustments (After the time and the ip and the user) should i make to the cameras before adding them to blue iris . i was thinking fps at 10 , i frame at 10 anything else?
Yes its the same as corridor "mode" - which is just angling the third axis of the lens.
You make the adjustment in the camera itself ..blue iris will pull the image as the camera sets it..if you are getting the 2132F model that is 3 axis you should be able to simply turn the lens (wall mount or ceiling)...if you are getting the 2132 that is two axis you will need to turn the camera before installing it (wall mount, if ceiling I dont think it can be done).
yes 10fps and iframe of 10 is fine.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so do i manually adjust by turning the lense or do i change a setting in the camera? Where do i find the setting

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
so do i manually adjust by turning the lense or do i change a setting in the camera? Where do i find the setting
No you have to turn the lens or the whole camera depending on the mode - you then have to rotate the image in the camera firmware ..which model 2132 did you buy?

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have the 2132f at least that is what the order says

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i have the 2132f at least that is what the order says
ok, then you should be able to rotate the lens itself..then in the camera firmware select rotate...you will see once you get it..