POE Switch, NVR, Cameras

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a POE switch and the NVR has POE ports. I want to know if I have 5 cameras connected to the POE switch upstairs (while the NVR is downstairs) will 1 CAT5 cable from the POE switch to the NVR be able to carry all the data from the 5 cameras without issue?

Long story but NVR needs to stay downstairs and all cables are run from the cameras to the upstairs connection point.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, 5 cameras are fine. Think about it - at some point you have one cable going from your router to your modem (if they are separate) and it handles the data fine. The cable usually isn't the bottleneck it is something else in a system.

Keep in mind that you cannot connect more cameras to the NVR than the number of channels it has.

Further, you will not be able to connect the POE switch to a POE port on the NVR (in most instances). Instead you have to connect the POE switch to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR and then you will probably have to manually add the cameras to the NVR.

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, 5 cameras are fine. Think about it - at some point you have one cable going from your router to your modem (if they are separate) and it handles the data fine. The cable usually isn't the bottleneck it is something else in a system.

Keep in mind that you cannot connect more cameras to the NVR than the number of channels it has.

Further, you will not be able to connect the POE switch to a POE port on the NVR (in most instances). Instead you have to connect the POE switch to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR and then you will probably have to manually add the cameras to the NVR.
Thank you!

Also, do you have any recomendations on doorbell cameras? Nest is what I have and just up'd the cost from $50 to $80 a year. I want to add the doorbell to my NVR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best bet is to buy one that is the same brand or OEM of your NVR to ensure full functionality.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So Andy's doorbell VTO unit will work, as will an Amcrest or Lorex. Other brands may play nice, but that is always a big question especially with doorbells.

Do a search in the doorbell forum for Dahua OEM NVRs and doorbells to see if anyone else has had success with another brand and that NVR.

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So Andy's doorbell VTO unit will work, as will an Amcrest or Lorex. Other brands may play nice, but that is always a big question especially with doorbells.

Do a search in the doorbell forum for Dahua OEM NVRs and doorbells to see if anyone else has had success with another brand and that NVR.

Thank you