POE switch, SD card, cat6 cable

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
So I just bought one varifocal T5442T from Andy to figure out which fixed lens 5442 I'll buy next. I'd like to run these accessories by you though so I don't make a mistake and buy something unusable. I was thinking about buying:

1) POE SWITCH

2) SD CARD

3) POE CAT 6 BURIAL CABLE (since it will be in the ground)

What do you guys think?

Keep in mind I wont use NVR and will be recording to SD card 24/7 (for now). In the future (when I get more cameras) this will probably change but for now I'm trying to keep it simple.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The cat 6 burial cable you linked to is CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) cable. That's probably not a good idea as I've learned from other more experienced members here. It's best to use 23 awg pure copper cable.

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
The cat 6 burial cable you linked to is CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) cable. That's probably not a good idea as I've learned from other more experienced members here. It's best to use 23 awg pure copper cable.
I only need about 60 feet of cable (and only 10 feet will be underground). From the quick search on google it seems like all you can get your hands on are long ones like 500 or 1000 feet :confused:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I only need about 60 feet of cable (and only 10 feet will be underground). From the quick search on google it seems like all you can get your hands on are long ones like 500 or 1000 feet :confused:
Hi Mikey299 ..

DO not get "CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) " .. look for better quality cabling

1693851746564.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have that TP-Link switch and it's been fine. Know that you'll likely outgrow 4 ports quickly. I use it as a remote switch just to give me a few ports at the far end of a P2P link. Pretty much plugged it in, good to go, and no problems since.

I used this cable for the last outdoor run that I did. Seems fine for the money. Ideally I'd rather have 23 gauge but it is what it is. Says it's solid copper and after stripping and reterminating I saw nothing to dispute that. 100' but price isn't much different:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you’re going to be adding more cams then it might be worth buying a reel of solid copper cable.

When I had my cables installed I purchased 2 100m reels, didn’t need that much to be honest but the installer said to buy 2 as it would make it easier to run multiple runs.

Also when buying I just went for cat5e outdoor rated solid copper cable, didn’t really see the point of going for cat 6 or 7 … as the cams only run at 100mbs plus cat5e is rated for speeds up to 1gig.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this one ok?

I can get one locally and someone I know recommended it to me
Looks like good cable and certainly, along with specs and price, availability governs many of our purchases. :cool:

mikey299

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like good cable and certainly, along with specs and price, availability governs many of our purchases. :cool:
Yeah it's kind of pricey...65 feet costs 40€ but hey if it's good I might just take it and be done with it haha