Powering IR illuminators with POE... without the data?

Reaction score
So I have a treeline in a radius around my backyard that is 70-100feet from the house before light brush starts (10 yards of that) and then maybe 10-20 yards of light woods to the main road. There is a bright streetlamp in my backyard and no matter what I do my cams pic up the yard perfectly fine but as soon as you hit the treeline it's black. I've been looking into IR illuminators and basically came to the conclusion that it would either be expensive or not very effective to reach out 100ft and still be bright enough to penetrate some brush. Initially I thought of putting 4-5 illuminators maybe 10 yards from where it starts (need to cover 180 degrees) as I have no need to illuminate the yard. It'd be cheap at first glance for a few cheap illuminators and a $20 power supply but that is more work than I want to do and when you are talking a 100ft run of 12v to a junction box supplying 4-5 10w lights to keep it above 10v at the lights you'd need something like 12awg to the box and 14awg in each direction to the cameras on each side. Nope just too much BS. Got to thinking about solar... nope I'd need a 100-150w panel and a g31 battery, too much for this. Was about to grab a ebay 30 degree ones and just run that off the house better than nothing i figured but got to thinking... what about poe? I have a AC to 60v poe adapter that runs to an outdoor switch to power my cameras. The adapter was like $20 and supplies my 48v 4 poe+ out switch. Of course it's a managed switch that cost like 100 bucks but... isn't there a way to just run a splitter off one of the ethernet outside going to a camera, give it AC power, and then I can run a single line as far as I want (at least as far as i have use for) to a really cheap poe splitter that splits it to 4x 802.3af and then run a poe to 12v adapter right at the camera without worrying about supplying your light with 8 volts.

Sound plausible? What would I even be looking for on the splitter/not switch? Everything i found on amazon was $70 switches or 1 into 2 splitters that arent really what I'm looking for.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my head around what you want to do. You may want to attach a simple network diagram of what you have and what you want (Flowchart Maker & Online Diagram Software) in the future to make it a bit more understandable.

As far as I can tell you currently power a 4 port PoE switch with a PoE injector. That 4 port pass through switch then powers 4 cams via its own PoE out ports. Then I get a bit lost as you mix lots of terms like "splitter, AC, PoE", etc... All PoE will be DC. There is no way to power an AC device off of a PoE injector or PoE switch.

Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my head around what you want to do. You may want to attach a simple network diagram of what you have and what you want (Flowchart Maker & Online Diagram Software) in the future to make it a bit more understandable.

As far as I can tell you currently power a 4 port PoE switch with a PoE injector. That 4 port pass through switch then powers 4 cams via its own PoE out ports. Then I get a bit lost as you mix lots of terms like "splitter, AC, PoE", etc... All PoE will be DC. There is no way to power an AC device off of a PoE injector or PoE switch.
ignore the cameras, I'd have the same setup for 4 illuminators going around the perimeter only i would not need a switch, or managed switch for that matter. I'd simply use the ethernet cable to carry the power but dont know a cheap way to convert 48v active to 802.3af (now that I think about it I wouldnt need a to do that could just daisy chain 48v active around the perimeter with 48v to 12v converters. . The issue with running 12v DC for that far of a length is the voltage drop gets excessive without going to large wire which gets expensive. Ethernet does just fine when you have 48v vs 12v. 48v is going to have 1/4 the drop as 12v and even then the 12v converter should still give the light 12v. If I were to run 14awg afrom the house on one side to a camera to the next cam to the next cam to the next cam around the yard I'd be looking at 200+ft call. Say light 1 is at 100 ftr light 2 133ft light 3 166ft light 4 200ft I'd be at 9.8v cam 1 9.3cam2 9v cam 3 and 8.8v at cam 4. On top of potentially damaging the lights 9v on a light that draws 12w at 12v is going to give you 6 watts of half the output. And you're paying too much for copper wire vs ethernet which is cheap.

Edi: just realized I did 100, 125, 150, and 175ft. So it could potentially be close to 8v at cam 4. My original idea was 100 ft to a junction box in center and the daisy chain two in opposite directions but with 12 for that length even that won't make a ton of differnce. I just figured a 1A load per light with 4 lights total. 12v is not good for distance. Even at 48v the drop is not insignificant but going converting 43v to 12v gives you the same voltage output as converting 48v to 12v you just might hurt the overall output a bit by decreasing the wattage at said amperage the run is good for.

Last edited: