Product Support Refuses to Provide Firmware

Hazmot

n3wb
Reaction score
I was a bit surprised at the email I got from Hikvision USA.
""We require an installer to be on site for firmware updates as improper installation will lead to the device being irreparably damaged.

We unfortunately do not have a local dealers list. Please consider using popular search engines such as Yelp.com, and search “security company” or “video surveillance” as keywords. You may contact them to see if they service Hikvision products.

Thank you,""

They have always helped before.
This is in reference to a NIB ebay camera I got.

Camera model DS-2DE5184-AE3
Serial No. DS-2DE5184-AE320160127CCWR572480812
Firmware Version V5.3.9 build 151223

I cannot even find a reference to this cameras firmware.
It is legit. They are listed on B&H's website.
I need to send ONVIFPTZ commands to it..
??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky they helped you before....

You have to remember that the homeowner isn't the Hikvision and Dahua target audience, it is the professional installers, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from. Many people have bought a Hikvision or Dahua from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer....

B&H is not an installer....nor is ebay an authorized installer/vendor...resellers are rarely gonna get service from the manufacturer...

And they recently have been removing the firmware links from their websites. I suspect they quit putting firmware out on their website because too many people are purchasing Chinese hacked cameras or fake Dahua or Hikvision cams and then bricking them when they try to update the firmware and then they have to field complaints and phone calls.

So now, they can simply tell people to go to the vendor/installer they purchased the camera from.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
This is in reference to a NIB ebay camera I got.

Camera model DS-2DE5184-AE3
Serial No. DS-2DE5184-AE320160127CCWR572480812

I cannot even find a reference to this cameras firmware.
It is legit. They are listed on B&H's website.
echoing comments from @wittaj, and adding...
Just because an authorized Hik dealer (B&H) sells the same camera model you purchased on ebay does not make it legit, unfortunately. This is one of the biggest pitfalls purchasing from non-authorized dealer/reseller (eBay, amazon, etc). As the ebay seller is most likely not an authorized Hik vendor, this most likely the reason you do not find the current firmware version on Hikvisions site. It is a "whitebox" camera that a 3rd party put their own flavor of firmware on.
There are quite a few 3rd party companies that do this with the "blessing" of the cameras respective manufacturer, and they support what the sell. Others, are not "blessed", and unless you perform due diligence & research the reseller you are buying from, you at the mercy of whatever support the reseller offers.

Hazmot

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok..
Not looking for service or any kind of support from them.
Just looking for firmware.
I think there is a difference.
But I am done buying Hikvision product that is for sure.
Truly a fantastic company....

Last edited:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If one purchased a "new vehicle" that was sold as salvage to a wholesaler, he restored it
back to "new", has sold it to you, would you be angry at the manufacturer of the
car as they will not service it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok..
Not looking for service or any kind of support from them.
Just looking for firmware.
I think there is a difference.
But I am done buying Hikvision product that is for sure.
Truly a fantastic company....
Um, you realize EVERY camera has exploit vulnerabilities...even high end AXIS cameras.

If you are done buying Hikvision over this, then you might as well stay away from the likes of Axis or Dahua as they will say the same thing as Hikvision....if you want call center support (that sucks), then you need to purchase consumer grade cameras like Amcrest, Lorex, Night Owl, Swann, Arlo, Nest, Ring, etc.... All of which will have exploits and some more than others (like the cloud-based Ring and Next)....so you either pay for quality gear with no 1-800 number, or buy inferior products that come with 1-800 numbers.

So your options are to do what most of us do here is prevent your cameras from having internet access OR not have cameras OR let them have internet access realizing they will be exploited at some point...

Looking for firmware and support is the same thing - if you updated to a firmware that bricked it, you would certainly be looking to them for support...for all you know that ebay special is Chinese region hacked that will brick if you try to update the firmware....

You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just for grins and giggles or OCD behavior to be running the latest firmware, think twice.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind.
  • The Dahua 49225 and 49425 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind.
  • The Hikvision DS-2DEA425IW-DW PTZ that loses autotracking with an update comes to mind.
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • A Hikvision ANPR DS-2CD4A26FWD camera that lost all ability to read plates - kinda makes the camera useless.
  • A Hikvision camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • A Hikvision wifi camera that loses the ability to use wifi after a firmware update.
  • Dahua 5442 that will not allow playback of the SD card.
  • Countless other instances where the camera or NVR simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera or NVR went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1642062778963.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Regardless of the manufacturer why would expect full manufacturer support from an eBay purchase unless it was the manufacturer itself selling the cam. How do you even know when it was first purchased etc.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That firmware version has a serious security vulnerability that allows unauthenticated full access - the 'Hikvision backdoor'.
Fixed in 5.4.5 or later.

It might also be a version that has UPnP enabled by default - though I don't remember for sure.
@Hazmot - worth checking the camera web GUI configuration to confirm that UPnP is not enabled.
Also confirm that UPnP is disabled on your router, as it often is enabled by default.
That combination can allow the entire internet to access the camera without you knowing.
A great many Hikvision cameras have been hacked through that route.