PTZ installation questions.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My friend wants 3 more PTZ cameras (the new PTZ5A4K-25X) for various places. Where he wants them is going to be tough but can be done. How high is too high, and how low is too low?
Do you think 12' high is too low?

The other question is about the proper mount for one of the PTZ cams and where he would like to try to install it. Out at his site, there is a 12' tall steel pole that is 8" in diameter. He would like to mount it to the flat top of the pole. What type of mount would a person use for something like that? The pole I attached is not the exact pole but a smaller example. The pole in question is about 8" in diameter and is pretty thick metal. It is very heavy-duty. It is flat on top just like this pole.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With a PTZ, higher is better, within reason.

12 feet isn't too low, but I wouldn't go much lower.

Obviously the higher you go, the more tops of heads you see when the person is close.

But a PTZ mounted 12 or 30 feet high benefits from "shallowing" the angle when you use the PTZ for what is it good for - optically zooming in at distance.

At 500 feet away, a PTZ mounted 30 feet up can almost look like it is even with the person.

You use one of these with a PTZ mount and change out the rings if necessary for a larger pole:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. You always come through for me.

The distance he will be looking is at most 100' at the height we are looking from.

We were thinking of mounting on the flat top of the pole if possible. If we did that, it would raise the height a couple of feet maybe. Any idea what type of a mount would work best for that?
If we can't make this pole work, we will just install a 2" diameter pole in a different location that would be around 15' high and use the PFA150 with smaller hose clamps.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine is mounted on the first floor soffit, approx 11-12' high and 20-25' from the street.

Keep in mind, PTZs need to be suspended. So in order to mount it to the flat top of your pole you will need an arm to hang from. At some point, its view will be obstructed.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have put up many PTZs, I just have not had them as low as 12 to 13 feet before. I was just curious how this would be. Thanks for those videos. They help a lot.