Question viewing older DS-2CD752MF VLC/Blue Iris/IP Cam Viewer

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm essentially a novice IP Cam guy. I have an older Hikvision DS-2CD752MF that when I view it locally in RTSP in VLC player it plays smoothly as expected.

When viewed locally in Blue Iris, it pauses every 10 seconds for 2 seconds. You have smooth video 10 seconds, it pauses, you see its time stamp stop, then it jumps ahead about 2 second. Rinse, repeat.

And not particularly important, when viewed in IP Cam Viewer over a 4g connection, it does consistent pauses and jumps every couple seconds. Very squirrely.

Other Foscams I have on the network run smooth and as well as a Foscam would be expected to run in all applications. Go figure... :-/

I figure if VLC can view it smoothly, it's in a setting I've done in Blue Iris maybe? Or potentially a setting in the cam that BI just doesn't appreciate? Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks much!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the bitrate set to? if its higher than 4096 lower it...
Here are several other things to try.
Match the cameras i-frame rate to its FPS
increase the network receive buffer in blue iris to 10mb...camera properties>video configure

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
:) Was just reading a post of yours regarding this in some aspect in the BI forum area. Thanks for your input here, and in the past as well.

Ok... Not seeing a setting for bitrate in Blue Iris, In the camera's config, for Mainstream, Bitrate is set at 3072,

"Bitrate type" in the cam's config, is set to variable.

Framerate in cam was 30 I just reduced to 15, as in Blue Iris it is set to 15 and seems to be running around 11-13. "Adjust Automatically" in Blue Iris Frame Rate is checked, should I uncheck this?

I-Frame Interval in the cam config is 25, should this be set the same as Frame rate at "15"

I have now set Blue Iris to Network Receive Buffer from 1.5 to 10 as advised.

Thanks! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are no bitrate settings in blue iris, they are set in the cameras
uncheck adjust automatically in blue iris, and set it to 20 (the next step up from what the camera is set to)
set the iframe interval to 15

Are you recording direct to disk?
Do you observe the issues in blue iris recordings or live view as well?

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't record this cam, but I will do some when more activity is outside and see if it is exhibited in them. I suppose this is considered the live view with Blue Iris.

Ok, Unchecked Adjust Auto, and set to 20, the next step up. And set Iframe interval 15. Still has the issue.

Sooo. Interesting thing I'm realizing, here, the time overlay stops with the video and jumps 2-3 seconds... BUT, the time is overlaid and displayed through Blue Iris. It is the only cam on the network that does that... The rest are moving along synced, and the Hikvision one pauses and catches up.

Since VLC player shows a smooth video feed via RTSP. I suppose Blue Iris doing something in relation to a setting I've not examined.

Small issue, I just had time to sit and contemplate this eve for a bit. I appreciate your input!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't record this cam, but I will do some when more activity is outside and see if it is exhibited in them. I suppose this is considered the live view with Blue Iris.

Ok, Unchecked Adjust Auto, and set to 20, the next step up. And set Iframe interval 15. Still has the issue.

Sooo. Interesting thing I'm realizing, here, the time overlay stops with the video and jumps 2-3 seconds... BUT, the time is overlaid and displayed through Blue Iris. It is the only cam on the network that does that... The rest are moving along synced, and the Hikvision one pauses and catches up.

Since VLC player shows a smooth video feed via RTSP. I suppose Blue Iris doing something in relation to a setting I've not examined.

Small issue, I just had time to sit and contemplate this eve for a bit. I appreciate your input!
if you are using the hikvision rtsp, try hikvision 2cdxxxxx from the dropdown and see if it changes anything...or vice versa.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll mention, the RTSP feed I'm using that works smoothly, is via the VLC media player network stream. I'll play more with this when I get in later today. Thanks,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll mention, the RTSP feed I'm using that works smoothly, is via the VLC media player network stream. I'll play more with this when I get in later today. Thanks,
they are both rtsp feeds....they just use different paths...
You can also try to manually enter the same path you are using in vlc...

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an FYI... Been a busy week, but deleted the cam on BI4, and just set it up again using the above mentioned settings by Fenderman, and the now issue is gone. Reasonably smooth and no more 3 second pause/jump with the BI4 feed and clock overlay. Thanks (again) for taking time to look this over and give advice!