Range extender question

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Linksys WRT54G router with DDWRT firmware in it using it a a repeater off my main router,and I would like to know if it is possible to connect a range extender to it because it is a repeater itself and not a main router. I need to get better reception from one of my IP cameras is the reason for the question.
Thank you for any help

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Linksys WRT54G router with DDWRT firmware in it using it a a repeater off my main router,and I would like to know if it is possible to connect a range extender to it because it is a repeater itself and not a main router. I need to get better reception from one of my IP cameras is the reason for the question.
Thank you for any help
I don't use "range extenders" or "repeaters" but I can see where another wireless router set to Access Point mode (or DHCP disabled and assigned a unique static IP in the same subnet) and plugged into the first wireless router's LAN port could be made to work. I'd set it to a wireless channel at least 2 channels apart from the first router's wireless channel and try the same SSID as the transmitted REPEATER SSID, the cam may connect to it since this second unit's signal (the AP) should be stronger than the repeated SSID. If no joy, give the AP a different SSID & password and have the cam do and a survey and lock onto it.

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't use "range extenders" or "repeaters" but I can see where another wireless router set to Access Point mode (or DHCP disabled and assigned a unique static IP in the same subnet) and plugged into the first wireless router's LAN port could be made to work. I'd set it to a wireless channel at least 2 channels apart from the first router's wireless channel and try the same SSID as the transmitted REPEATER SSID, the cam may connect to it since this second unit's signal (the AP) should be stronger than the repeated SSID. If no joy, give the AP a different SSID & password and have the cam do and a survey and lock onto it.
Thank you I will give that a try