Rat snake inspects my fiber modem Sunday night!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last week I shared my install of a little TP-LINK Tapo cam to watch the status LEDs on my fiber modem. Nothing much going on until about 9:19 PM Sunday night when Blue Iris sent me a motion alert. I walk into the office, look at the screen and here's this rat snake crawling up the back board and atop the modem.

I head out to open the utility closet in the garage where the modem is, along with the electrical panel and water heater, and grabbed some gloves. I've caught several rat snakes over the last few years and of course they're not poisonous but they can bite like hell...I'm on blood thinner anyway and also don't need the bacteria they can carry in their tiny sharp teeth.

I flipped on the light and then realized how big he was...a pretty one, he was about 4 ft. long. I decided to pick up a squeegee with a 2 ft. handle, slid it under him about 2 ft. from his head and he was very cooperative and calm, took him outside and laid him down on the driveway, which was captured by my Reolink doorbell at the side door I had just put in the week before! Into the hot, humid night he went to live another day.

Tomorrow I think I'll look into the gaps in the weatherstripping on the bottom of the garage door.....

First, at the fiber modem by the Tapo C-110:

View attachment Cam16.20230625_190622_1.mp4

Second, the driveway release, caught by the Reolink doorbell:

View attachment Cam29.20230625_170512_1.mp4

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad I live in the UK. We have only 3 snakes and only 1 is poisonous and all are so rare the majority go their entire lives and never see one. I went dilberately looking where they live (well outin the wilds away from civilisation) and it literally took me 3 months to find one!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad I live in the UK. We have only 3 snakes and only 1 is poisonous and all are so rare the majority go their entire lives and never see one. I went dilberately looking where they live (well outin the wilds away from civilisation) and it literally took me 3 months to find one!!
There's plenty here in AL rural areas, mostly non-poisonous. I've lived here 17 years and have seen only 1 copperhead; there are also rattlesnakes and cottonmouth moccasins. Mostly I've seen, caught and released several rat snakes, 2 corn snakes, black snakes, black racers, 1 eastern milk snake, green snakes, hog nosed snakes, brown snakes, several ring-necked snakes and bunches of tiny DeKay's snakes. The rat snakes and black racers get somewhat testy and I'm not as prone to handling them.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Grew up down there. The black racers do kind of have an attitude. They have a great bluff move where they raise up in that cobra pose and race right toward you. And they’re usually fairly big snakes when you see them. Even though you know that they’re not going to do anything, I don’t think that I ever saw anyone stand their ground against that. lol

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's plenty here in AL rural areas, mostly non-poisonous. I've lived here 17 years and have seen only 1 copperhead; there are also rattlesnakes and cottonmouth moccasins. Mostly I've seen, caught and released several rat snakes, 2 corn snakes, black snakes, black racers, 1 eastern milk snake, green snakes, hog nosed snakes, brown snakes, several ring-necked snakes and bunches of tiny DeKay's snakes. The rat snakes and black racers get somewhat testy and I'm not as prone to handling them.
Sounds like you have plenty of experience dealing with snakes!. Growing up in Houston and being close to Buffalo Bayou, I caught and brought home my share of snakes when I was a young teenager. My friend and I caught a corn snake one time, brought it home and put it in an aquarium at my friend's house. The snake escaped the next day and unfortunately was killed by my friend's dad, who found it on his patio and hadn't been told we brought it home! lol
Later I bought a large boa constrictor for a pet, and kept him in a 55 gallon aquarium in my parent's garage. One day my dad asked me where the snake was. Turns out he escaped the aquarium and was lost for about a week. We finally found him up in the rafters of the garage. I put an incandescent light bulb in the aquarium for heat during the winter, but the boa would wrap himself around the hot light bulb. I had to put a protective cage around the bulb to keep the snake from shattering it, or getting burned!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Grew up down there. The black racers do kind of have an attitude. They have a great bluff move where they raise up in that cobra pose and race right toward you. And they’re usually fairly big snakes when you see them. Even though you know that they’re not going to do anything, I don’t think that I ever saw anyone stand their ground against that. lol

Our grassnakes (non poisonous) have a couple of tricks if cornered.

1. They exude a foul smelling liquid if handled that makes them smell dead to put off anything that might eat them = skunk of the snake world as you can't wash it off your skins for days

2. They actually play dead and roll over on their backs and stick their tongues out!!!

They can bite as well but are usually fairly docile as their routine is escape then smell rotten, be dead and rotten.

They can reach 6 feet in length. Theu're also good swimmers. I went wishing once, was releasing a fish bent down, looked up. and there was a snake looking me dead in the eyes from 1 feet away in the water, head reared up straight on looking me in the eyes, it swam up whilst my head was down. I've never gone up the bank so fast in my life because in that split second I couldn't process if it was adder or grass.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had a black racer stand up about a foot and hit the back of my hand with its mouth closed just to warn me. I can differentiate between them and a black snake because the racer has bigger, rounder eyes.

Talk about a show, I've seen the eastern hog-nosed stand up about a foot, flare out the neck hood below its eyes, snort, hiss and roll over...quite the drama queen. The one I'm holding below peed all over me but I expected it...most of the snakes I pick up do; the Dekay's, ring-neck, milk and green all seem calm and don't get worked up and pee on you....thy're a lot smaller too.

Eastern Hog-nosed:
eastern-hognosed1.jpg eastern-hognosed2.jpg

Corn snake:
cornsnake.jpg

ring-necked:
ring-necked.jpg

Dekay's brown snake:
DeKays.jpg

Milk snake:
milksnake2.jpg milksnake.jpg

Last edited:

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had a black racer stand up about a foot and hit the back of my hand with its mouth closed just to warn me. I can differentiate between them and a black snake because the racer has bigger, rounder eyes.

Talk about a show, I've seen the eastern hog-nosed stand up about a foot, flare out the neck hood below its eyes, snort, hiss and roll over...quite the drama queen. The one I'm holding below peed all over me but I expected it...most of the snakes I pick up do; the Dekay's, ring-neck, milk and green all seem calm and don't get worked up and pee on you....thy're a lot smaller too.
Being fairly new here, just saw your original post (TonyR). Great shots of the various snakes! I've had run-in's with Racers before. We have some pretty big ones up here in the NC mtns. They will raise up about a 1/3 their body length, bluff attack, like you said. Had them chase me when I was a kid, but not for far. Pulled one off a blue bird nest seveal times... could see from the lumps he'd already swallowed several eggs. Mama Bluebird was frantic, got my attenttion something was wrong. Took 3 times pulling Mr Racer off the nest. Threw him as far as I could, landed in the pasture, bouced with a thud, then slowly wobbled away in a dazed crawl. Mama Bluebird happy. Racers were notorius for getting into our BB nests. They can have all the rodents (+ starlings, house wrens, and swallows) they want, but don't mess with our Bluebirds!

Had black rat snakes buzz their tails in piles of dead leaves, mimmicking a rattler.. clever trick. They're a constant presence in our barns. Grabbed a box of electrical parts in the barn one night, without turning on the lights. Just needed a couple conduit couplers, but when I reached in the box, something didn't feel right. Stopped, walked over & switched on the lights, and there was Mr Rat Snake all curled up in a box of conduit fittings. He looked at me as if what you want and why you bothering me? I said sorry buddy, go back to sleep - or stalking mice. He could have easily bitten me, but wasn't the least bit concerned.

Saved a garter (grass) snake once. He repaid me by skunking me. Took days for that stink to wear off. My dogs looked at me as if, gee, we get in trouble when we roll in stinky stuff... :wow:

Here in W NC mtns, we have the corn snakes, ring necks, various rat snakes, brown water snakes (which can be pretty aggressive but non venomous), copperheads, a few sparsely located cotton-mouths (water moccasins), and good number of timber rattlers (but only in select areas). Have not seen a Hog Nosed in my area in long time. Do have a fair number of King snakes.

I've not had problems with snakes into electrical rooms or cabinets - so far. Mice, oh yeah - snakes, not so far. By far, biggest problem I've had with things getting into electrical devices is ANTS. They are insidious. Sometimes I think they could get into an electrical panel on the moon. Seems impossible to seal anything tight enough to keep out those tiny little black ants. Never have figured out why they are so attracted to things electric. Mice are nearly as bad.

Here's a snake den I stumbled across (luckily not into!) while clearing some brush for a client. Something caught my peripheral vision, turned around to see these guys staring at me from their den under some boulders. No, I did not pick them up :lmao:
For some reason, nobody wanted to work with me on this job. :winktongue:

Attachments

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It happens here too, though usually it's copperhead bites. Rattler bites are rare, and usually when someone insists on trying to handle one. Copperhead bites are rarely fatal, but certainly painful and can be nasty. I worry more about Cottonmouths than rattlers, as they tend to hang out face level in trees & brush near rivers & creeks. Copperheads will bite anything, anytime, for any reason - but fortunately not as venomous as Cottonmouths and Rattlers. Rattlers are so sporadic here, that you're unlikely to run across them unless just the right place at right time. Copperheads however, are everywhere.
Working on a job once, talking to some landscaper laborers... they'd stopped to eat lunch. They were clearing brush & overgrowth below a house, with lots of rocky outcrops. Had just told them to watch for rattlers, as I had seen several in the area. Then I noticed one of the guys sitting on a boulder. Next to him, a baby rattler sunning itself. I pointed to the guy & said you need to move, slowly and NOW! He did, and was ok.. but his lunch was pretty much ruined for the day. Could have been a lot worse. I watch for snakes, but don't worry about them... It's the spiders I detest. Never thought much about them, just left them alone.. until a couple brown recluses got into my pants leg. Bit me on the knee cap. Took 6 months to heal, and the most painful thing I'd experienced outside of kidney stones. Could not believe such a small arachnid could cause so much pain for so long. To this day, if I see a spider near me, it dies.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Being fairly new here, just saw your original post (TonyR). Great shots of the various snakes! I've had run-in's with Racers before. We have some pretty big ones up here in the NC mtns. They will raise up about a 1/3 their body length, bluff attack, like you said. Had them chase me when I was a kid, but not for far. Pulled one off a blue bird nest seveal times... could see from the lumps he'd already swallowed several eggs. Mama Bluebird was frantic, got my attenttion something was wrong. Took 3 times pulling Mr Racer off the nest. Threw him as far as I could, landed in the pasture, bouced with a thud, then slowly wobbled away in a dazed crawl. Mama Bluebird happy. Racers were notorius for getting into our BB nests. They can have all the rodents (+ starlings, house wrens, and swallows) they want, but don't mess with our Bluebirds!
I have a live cam in our BB house, the first year was fine, year #2 a raccoon scooped up all the eggs so I installed a baffle. Then the next brood a month later a rat snake ate the live chicks (video below). I then installed 2 squares of hardware cloth on the T-pole below the raccoon baffle and after 2 years and 4 broods no more attacks from 'coons or snakes....fingers crossed.

View attachment bluebird-chicks-ratsnake_072221_2203.mp4

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had black rat snakes buzz their tails in piles of dead leaves, mimmicking a rattler.. clever trick. They're a constant presence in our barns.
Last summer a black racer was cuddling up with my black garden hose, not sure if it was for disguise or he was in love....but he (or she) rattled the dry leaves good then scurried into the open end of the carport framework on the ground.

View attachment black-racer-at-carport.mp4

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I was a teen, I went out to mow the overgrown lawn after we'd been away for a week. Before mowing, always went out & picked up any rocks or debris in the yard, and rolled up the garden hoses. All was good, except someone left a black hose in the yard. I thought all ours were green, but guess someone tossed a section of black hose in the yard. Instead of reaching down to pick up the hose, I used my bare foot to lift up the hose (yes, we ran around barefoot as kids, in the south :lmao:). Well, was I ever surprised when the "hose" if was picking up on my foot, stood up about 2 ft, and looked straight at me. Don't recall exactly what I said, but I do know I ran... and that silly snake took off after me. That was my first up close encounter with a Black Racer. Finally, I stopped running, turned around, grabbed a rake, and came back at the snake. He suddenly realized the game was over, and took off the other direction with incredible speed. Always marveled how fast those racers can go... they're aptly named. Never seen one get friendly with a garden hose, though :winktongue:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I was a teen, I went out to mow the overgrown lawn after we'd been away for a week. Before mowing, always went out & picked up any rocks or debris in the yard, and rolled up the garden hoses. All was good, except someone left a black hose in the yard. I thought all ours were green, but guess someone tossed a section of black hose in the yard. Instead of reaching down to pick up the hose, I used my bare foot to lift up the hose (yes, we ran around barefoot as kids, in the south :lmao:). Well, was I ever surprised when the "hose" if was picking up on my foot, stood up about 2 ft, and looked straight at me. Don't recall exactly what I said, but I do know I ran... and that silly snake took off after me. That was my first up close encounter with a Black Racer. Finally, I stopped running, turned around, grabbed a rake, and came back at the snake. He suddenly realized the game was over, and took off the other direction with incredible speed. Always marveled how fast those racers can go... they're aptly named. Never seen one get friendly with a garden hose, though :winktongue:
My late dad, who grew up in north GA from 1921 util he went into the Navy in '39 swore up and down that the black racers, with their eyes larger than a regular black snake / black rat snake, would charm or mesmerize birds and when the birds were "under' they'd of course eat the bird.