Screw

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am trying to do a hard reset but I cant undo the screw to get to the camera
I have broken 4 tools trying to unscrew this.
any ideas ...

20210218_144211.jpg
1613661471556.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Those are dis-similar metals, the stainless of the screw and the aluminum of the housing, and frequently can get pretty corroded. I use a product called "Kroil" which is designed to free frozen/corroded fasteners. Just a little bit goes a long way, but it does need to sit for a while to work. I usually wait a day after I apply it to give it time to work. WD40 will also work, but again, let it have a day to really work. Sometimes, it can take multiple applications if things are really corroded.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One more comment is to use a silicon based lube on the screw when you put it back together. Just a little dab will do ya.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks - will spray it with some lube.
I think the person who put this up has cross-threaded it and used an impact driver to jam it in.
thinking i may need to drill it out?
what size drill bit is advised?
then replacing the screw....Is m5 x10mm ok?

1613665616050.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Be really careful and work very slowly drilling that out. Stainless steel is a beotch to drill and it'll take lots of cutting oil (that means messy). I'd use metric bits, starting small, say 2mm and work up .1mm at a time. Don't rush because if the bit walks or skews you'll go through that aluminum (mystery metal) like it's butter. I've never had a problem with them but I'd say a 10-32 or 10-24 would be a good replacement size.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
drilling it out sounds like i will F*** it up

Going to try impact driver to see if i can get it with brute power ( i sprayed it with lubricant yesterday )

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
TX10 Impact bit worked today- thanks all.
Unfortunately the hard reset still not doing what it needs to do. NVR is seeing cam but status still red.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you plug the camera into your regular network and get to the web GUI with a browser on a PC?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not being an NVR expert I'm at a loss from here. The camera is obviously working properly and I am assuming it's a Dahua NVR so it should be recognized. Maybe @bigredfish can help out here.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure I fully understand the problem, but as @sebastiantombs mentioned, if you can hit the web GUI then the camera would appear to be working.

The NVR showing a red indicator typically means it sees the camera, but can’t communicate with it due to not having the right credentials.

If it’s a brand new camera, plugging in the camera the first time out of the box automatically assumes the same credentials as the NVR. You would see a green indicator on the NVR registration page and using the blue IE icon,
login to the camera web GUI.

If the login/pass has been changed on the camera to something other than that of the NVR, you would need to click the “edit” icon on the NVR registration page (pencil icon) and enter the camera login/pass information there so that the NVR knows how to login to the camera and communicate with it. Hit refresh, wait a few minutes, and it should turn green and the IE icon light up to allow logging into the camera from the registration page.