SD22204T-GN - Camera stopped and making buzzing noise

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I bought this camera from Andy on Oct 8th 2018. It's been running via POE with no problems up until today. I took down the camera and plugged it in via DC12V and the camera turned on and started working fine. I plugged it into a PoE switch and no lights and a very faint pulsating buzzing noise.

Anyone have any idea if this is fixable? I'll get with Andy on the warranty but I think he requires shipping the cam back to China ... big $$.

Here is a video of the noise its making. You have to turn your sound up high because the noise isn't very loud. I promise no noise scares:

Reaction score
Stupid question, but if it works fine when connected to 12VDC have you checked it on a DIFFERENT POE switch to make sure this isn't a switch issue?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, this camera is installed at a customers house on a completely POE switch. I brought it back home for testing and used a different switch.

Reaction score
Ok, I figured based on your experience. Speaking as someone with some electronics repair expertise, working with Andy is probably your best bet, because without schematics and the right tools repair on these small devices will be tough. I wonder if its a problem in the POE power circuit (since the problem disappears under external power), any chance it could have been surged?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hah I appreciate the suggestion - I sometimes can overlook the simple things to test first. I sent Andy a message and hopefully he can work with me. It's got to be something in the circuit from the buzzing noise. I very handy with a soldering gun on small electronics, I just don't know which part would need to be repaired/replaced. It it was my camera and it was a few years old I would tear it down and try and fix it myself. But since it's a customer's I need to get it back up and running asap.

I think maybe for the meantime I will buy a PoE to 12V splitter to get the camera back up and running for now until I see what Andy wants to do.

https://www.amazon.com/ethernet-Splitter-Compliant-Surveillance-ipolex/dp/B078LYW6D7/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546532597&sr=8-3&keywords=poe+to+12v

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dasstrum

I had that same problem, buzzing noise, on several cameras after a power surge. I was able to get some going by using a 12 volt power adapter from another device. I switched the Ethernet cable directly to a non Poe switch from the Poe and everything worked.

Your Poe to 12v splitter is a great idea for me. I can now try that with the other camera I couldn’t get power to for the 12v adapter. I know I didn’t help you as you figured out your problem but you surly helped me with your post. Thanks

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dasstrum

I had that same problem, buzzing noise, on several cameras after a power surge. I was able to get some going by using a 12 volt power adapter from another device. I switched the Ethernet cable directly to a non Poe switch from the Poe and everything worked.

Your Poe to 12v splitter is a great idea for me. I can now try that with the other camera I couldn’t get power to for the 12v adapter. I know I didn’t help you as you figured out your problem but you surly helped me with your post. Thanks
I have never used them before but willing to give it a try. Figure $16 for two of them... better than buying a new camera

Reaction score
buy a PoE to 12V splitter
Yeah if you have the space to put the adapter in a box or something, could be a temporary solution (or if due to surge damage which isn't covered or economical to fix) might just end up being your permanent solution in this case. Hopefully you can get that box weatherproof, I worry anytime I have to make a connection it somehow (like a tractor beam) invites water.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m certainly going to give it a try. The only problem I see is it’s possible size. I don’t have much room in my box but for the other not a problem.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All the cameras are installed on the soffits under the eve of the house. PLENTY of room up there. I will mount the adapter under the soffit and glob it with dielectric grease. That will be more than enough to keep it safe from water.

Example:

20170613_141824.jpg