SMB/CIFS storage for HikVision Cameras

Dakotatech

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a QNAP NAS and setup some tests doing continuous recording from some DS-2CD2385G1-I cameras. I tried NFS and had no luck. Every time no matter the volume size/quota I would get uninitialized status under HDD Management.

I'm able to get SMB/CIFS to work but have noticed it will only uses 1 HDD. (separate folder and user ID/quota) The first one setup is all that is used. I thought maybe it would spill to the next after the first HDD/quota filled but that does not seam to be the case.

As for volume size I have one that was 1024gb and it appears to be working although I'm not sure how well as it's only been a day.

I was hoping to setup a large volume for each of like 1TB and let it record continuously but I'm not sure what all quirks there are to this setup. I found some old links but I'm not sure they still apply.

Any words of wisdom?

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I record via SMB to an Intel NUC w/ a 12TB drive. Machine runs linux. I have a series of files pre-allocated w/ fallocate (i.e. fallocate -l 512G /home/Cameras/Nursery.img) which I then format via xfs (mkfs.xfs /home/Cameras/Nursery.img) and mount as loop devices to a mount point (mount /home/Cameras/Nursery.img /home/Cameras/Nursery) which I then export via Samba for the cameras to access. It works quite well. I do not record continuously, but on demand based on motion detection w/ 5 second lead-in/out, automatically set to overwrite. Some of my IMG files are 1TB, others are 128GB, depending on the amount of traffic the camera will generation in terms of motion. There really is no need to record continuously in my case. Cannot comment on the QNAP since I have never used one.

Dakotatech

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I ordered a 12TB drive to add to my QNAP. Recording from the cameras to the NAS on a continuous basis captures everything and recording motion on the NVR works well with the Hik-Connect app so I can just review things I'm interested in. Hopefully everything works as planned.

timjaknz

n3wb
Reaction score
I record via SMB to an Intel NUC w/ a 12TB drive. Machine runs linux. I have a series of files pre-allocated w/ fallocate (i.e. fallocate -l 512G /home/Cameras/Nursery.img) which I then format via xfs (mkfs.xfs /home/Cameras/Nursery.img) and mount as loop devices to a mount point (mount /home/Cameras/Nursery.img /home/Cameras/Nursery) which I then export via Samba for the cameras to access. It works quite well. I do not record continuously, but on demand based on motion detection w/ 5 second lead-in/out, automatically set to overwrite. Some of my IMG files are 1TB, others are 128GB, depending on the amount of traffic the camera will generation in terms of motion. There really is no need to record continuously in my case. Cannot comment on the QNAP since I have never used one.
Can you tell me what your smb config looks like for this setup because damned if I can get it to work consistently. I've got :
global:
lanman auth = no
ntlm auth = yes
client lanman auth = no
& for the share:
[Camera]
path = /Camera
valid users = camera
read only = no
browseable = yes

The problem I get is that the camera gets an unknown error when I test the share, but then successfully formats it anyway. And then will happily record until it fills up with recordings and then it fails and has to be reformatted again. Any ideas?