Someone violated ipcamtalk's Do's and Don'ts

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Picked up one Wyze Cam V2 for $8 today at The Home Depot.

At $8 it was irresistible and it was time to get to the bottom of what the big deal really was with Wyze's line up of products

1583194214152.png

Was stunned by the video quality up close, but obviously this camera isn't going to replace the real thing. After tinkering with video playback quickly realized the limitations and true nature of image quality. After setting this one piece up first thought that came to mind, did I invite a Trojan Horse to my Network? :rofl:
It's more of a toy, but integrates quite well surprisingly with Alexa's Echo Show. Very simple but intuitive product, but then again, doesn't do justice against the bread and butter we all embrace here very much. You can't customize much, and truth behold you probably just invited Big Brother over for dinner. I have it disconnected at the moment but plan to tinker around with it every now and then. Overall construction is plastic, but molded quite well. I have a funny feeling the lens is secured by some cheap adhesive but does the job well.

I don't support Wyze products. I still doubt they stand behind consumer privacy. I can see this being susceptible to another breach especially seeing that its meant to be connected to the cloud and internet 24/7.

Last edited:

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yeah I saw the listing on Slickdeals about them being on clearances at Home Depots. None anywhere around me had any though. For $8, I figured it would be worthwhile to have just running on the BI machine directly just to play with. Couldnt find any though.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I found two white models thinking that an associate would adjust the price for me. It was no go at first, but someone clearly broke the seal (or simply returned) one of the two units. I brought it up to the associate and he agreed to offer 50% off the $26 retail price for the white open-boxed unit. Unit was in pristine condition so I opted to buy just that one. I originally intended to buy the black unit, they reported to have 133 pieces in stock, but there were no where to be found. Someone actually wanted to buy 100/133 pieces, employee over at electrical and lighting was blown away.

Reason I got it for $8 was that I had to purchase a 24-volt step-down transformer and other miscellaneous things today (i.e. Gardener Bender Duct Seal, etc). It was perfect timing so gave the deal a try and worked out in my favor with a $5 off $50 Home Depot coupon.

Product has potential, wonder if it supports RTSP, then it should work with Blue Iris. Works great for a covert indoor camera, lol

yeah I saw the listing on Slickdeals about them being on clearances at Home Depots. None anywhere around me had any though. For $8, I figured it would be worthwhile to have just running on the BI machine directly just to play with. Couldnt find any though.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Picked up one Wyze Cam V2 for $8 today at The Home Depot.

At $8 it was irresistible and it was time to get to the bottom of what the big deal really was with Wyze's line up of products

View attachment 56615

Was stunned by the video quality up close, but obviously this camera isn't going to replace the real thing. After tinkering with video playback quickly realized the limitations and true nature of image quality. After setting this one piece up first thought that came to mind, did I invite a Trojan Horse to my Network? :rofl:
It's more of a toy, but integrates quite well surprisingly with Alexa's Echo Show. Very simple but intuitive product, but then again, doesn't do justice against the bread and butter we all embrace here very much. You can't customize much, and truth behold you probably just invited Big Brother over for dinner. I have it disconnected at the moment but plan to tinker around with it every now and then. Overall construction is plastic, but molded quite well. I have a funny feeling the lens is secured by some cheap adhesive but does the job well.

I don't support Wyze products. I still doubt they stand behind consumer privacy. I can see this being susceptible to another breach especially seeing that its meant to be connected to the cloud and internet 24/7.
Sweet deal!!! I'd put the optional firmware on it to get local rtsp.

btw - I looked at my local HD and didn't see any there... ( I was looking for masks.. which of course are all out )

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to be off-topic here, but my local Home Depot's phones were being flooded with the same inquiry, not pertaining to Wyze Cameras, but to N95 masks. I was simply stunned :eek:

Sweet deal!!! I'd put the optional firmware on it to get local rtsp.

btw - I looked at my local HD and didn't see any there... ( I was looking for masks.. which of course are all out )

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

cparktd

n3wb
Reaction score
I have some to play with before jumping all in with a system, and to see what was activating my motion lights at the back door at night. You can add a micro Sd card in camera for constant recording. In three weeks I saw two dogs, two cats, a rabbit, possum, skunk, raccoon, and a fox... some of those almost every night! Night image is crap. can barely make out what animal it is ten feet away, no good if any motion either really, even in daylight. Doesn't have much dynamic range either.... all no surprise.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Honestly, can't really draw comparisons here, we're talking about a $20 camera which is probably sold on thin margins. $20 camera vs $100 camera. You truly get what you pay for. I mean the 24v transformer I purchased today was $5 less than another Home Depot location, not sure why. I theoretically purchased this Wyze camera for $3 today. Doesn't cost much for putting together injected molded plastic, lol

I choose not to use my primary cameras with Amazon's Web Services but this cheap Wyze camera should complement well just for convenience.