Sricam a security threat?

Diggs

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought I'd relate a recent episode with one of my old Sricam bullet cameras (ID# MEYE-012267). It's an ancient 640 x 480 bullet cam with IR. I received a notice from Spectrum/Charter about suspicious activity on my network. I ran a port scan and sure enough port 81 was open and pointing at the IP of one of my old Sricam cameras. It was done through UPnP on the router even though I keep UPnP turned off it had been turned on. I deleted the entry and turned off UPnP. The next morning I failed a port scan again and UPnP was on with open port 81 pointing to the Sricam IP address again. I trashed the Sricam cameras, changed the passwords on the routers and all appears to be good. My security cam system (Blue Iris) is on its own router and network. They were connected to the Internet through my main router. I pulled the connection between the two routers and my security cams are now isolated from the net. I replaced the Sricam cameras with some inexpensive/disposable Woolink cams. They may have the same security risk, I don't know but I'll keep my cam system isolated.

@add - You'll notice the ID number of the Sricam camera starts with "MEYE", the name of the Woolink camera app is "HoMeYe". Related? Coincidence? (Things that make you go hmmm....)

Last edited: