Struggling a bit with my new Hikvision 2032

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
After learning with some basic lower end cameras (DLink, Linksys, Foscam), I finally bought a Hikvision 2032 bullet which arrived the other day and is my first HD camera.

It's running V5.2.0 build 140721

It's up and operating just fine on my LAN and my Blue Iris setup is monitoring it and recording it normally as well. My Blue Iris app on my iPhone also views it just fine - no issues.

However, it's not very stable at all in my LiveCams Pro app. I know I can view it in my BI app but actually like the LiveCams Pro app too for viewing and also have family members that use it to view my cameras.

Common issues:
1. Camera takes a very long time to load IF it loads at all. 15-30 seconds not uncommon at 720p. I'm viewing my cousin's two 2532 cams set at 720p as well with the app and they come up fine in a couple seconds typically.
2. When my 2032 cam does come up in the app, it typically freezes completely after 5-15 seconds. This does not happen in the BI app.

I'm pretty sure my port forwarding is fine. I set it up just like my other cameras although my other cameras I'm pretty sure have only one port option. On the Hikvision I am forwarding the RTSP port correct? That's the only one that seems to work at all for me.

Any ideas? Happy to add more details if needed.

Chris

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm interested to know what does the live cams app offer over BI app? The BI app has been butter smooth for me since day one.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are probably pulling the primary stream instead of the substream..

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I like to use Livecams Pro because I have cameras that aren't mine loaded into that as well such as the outdoor cams of family members in other states. I'm new to the BI app but as far as I know I can only view cameras that are currently running on my home BI pc. I have no desire to be streaming my family members cameras 24/7 from my home pc hitting their bandwidth and mine all the time just so i can occasionally look at them on my phone. I also like the Livecams interface a little better for little things like double tapping the screen anywhere to go back to the view of all the cams instead of having to hit a small icon in the upper corner to go back.

As far as the substream vs mainstream...I am definitely running it on main stream because that's how I want to view it on my phone (clear not blurry). See no reason why this wouldn't work since I am able to see my cousin's two 2532's without issue. We both have cable modems with 8meg+ upload pipes. So the connection shouldn't be an issue.
I just did a test though at home and switched the IP address in the app from my DDNS address/public address to the local address on my LAN for the camera. The app load its quick and normal like the other cameras. So the issue is definitely WAN related at some level - just not sure what at this point. Will keep experimenting.

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BTW - it also freezes eventually in the same amount of time on substream 2 at lower resolution. Again pointing to it not being a bandwidth issue. All my other cams are fine in the same app.
Maybe I will download another app and see if it has the same issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
try ipcamviewer by robert chou...
The substream will not be blurry on the phone, just set the settings mid level on the camera for the substream..

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also if on an iphone try the hikvision ivms-4500 client. Mine works very well and doesn't exhibit these problems at all, whether on "clear" (mainstream) or "fluent" (sub). I know you want to use livecams pro, but trying different apps may help you figure out the cause of the problem.

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Just tried IP Cam Viewer but there wasn't really a clear option under Hikvision models to use for the 2032. The only one that would work at all was type DS-2CD8153F-E and that one exhibits similar issues.

Is there a manual anywhere online for the Hikvision 2032 or the version 5.2.0 software?
Maybe it is on the mini cd that came with the camera. Will have to look when I get home.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
use hikvision camera active x.
Generally, the phone apps pull substreams..so make sure the substream settings on the camera with issues are the same as the settings on the 2532 that is working fine.

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no luck with the active x choice. does not work at all.
I think my next plan will do like you say - go through setting for setting compared to the 2532's and set the exact same as a control and test.
If still an issue then next week I will take it to work with me and set it up with an available public IP address on my work network (which I manage) and test there. If it's still having issues than something funky is going on with the camera.

This particular camera of any of mine will given out to friends/family to view whenever they want. Hence the need to work reliably on some of these popular phone apps other than BI.

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I'm very happy to report I solved the problem by a total fluke today. All is good now.
My wife and I were doing some last minute remodeling for a family Christmas party at our house next week and I had to move some electronics.
When I picked up my Ooma Telo voip box and flipped it over I noticed I had written the static IP address I had assigned it.
Oops - it was the same address I had assigned my new camera. Duplicate IP address!
Apparently it was able to work 'just enough' to drive me nuts and not figure out the problem sooner.
Dumb mistake but it's now working great! It loads up just as fast as all my other cameras even in HD. I'm happy!
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

By the way, I still don't understand why some of you always say to run low res substreams to your phone because you can't tell the difference.
I can easily tell the difference in the video quality not to mention you can pinch and zoom in much better. If your bandwidth supports it why not enjoy a better picture?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. It doesn't make sense though...the router will only assign 1 ip address per device...it cannot partially work...
As far as the subtreams, its helpful if you have say 8 cameras...it will load way faster with the substream. Also if you are on a metered data plan and watching alot it can add up..
If you max the subtream settings on the camera its almost impossible to tell the difference on the cell..I personally use blue iris which lets you choose 3 encoding profiles for its webserver so you can change on the fly if you need a better picture.

id5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. It doesn't make sense though...the router will only assign 1 ip address per device...it cannot partially work...
All network traffic is TCP within its local network and is performed using the MAC address of the device, IP is an extension that allows non-local or different networks to communicate with each other. Overtime, the majority of people have blurred the two together but they are separate, hence TCP/IP.

In the OP's case, all the devices on the local network inside the house knows of each other devices MAC address through underlying TCP broadcast protocols but when the camera and the voip box were fighting for the same IP the performance dropped. Dependant on how the network chip firmware was written either the underlying TCP would continue or the device would go off and sulk for a while or permanently.