Subdivision Monitoring - Smallest Viable System Recommendations

nicpottier

n3wb
Reaction score
@wittaj Thank you for the additional info, that all makes a lot of sense. For your setup you have one camera with different settings for day and night is that right?
Realize this is poorly phrased. I realize you have two cameras, but I'm asking if you have only one Z12E with different settings for day and night. (and another camera for overview (and triggering?))

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you have stadium quality light, you won't get plates with white light at night. The faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. That is why the image is black.

So we then bank on the reflective properties of the plate being blasted with infrared.

Yes my Z12E is configured for day and night and then an overview camera to capture make model etc of the vehicle.

nicpottier

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, new proposed MVP:

NVR $190: EmpireTech NV41AI-8P-4KH 8 Channel Compact 1HDD 1U 8PoE Network Video
HDD $100: License Plate Camera LZ12E $250: EmpireTech IPC-B52IR-Z12E-S2 1/2.8" CMOS 2MP Ultra Low Light Starlight
Overview Camera B54IR $170: EmpireTech IPC-B54IR-ASE 4MP IR Fixed-focal Bullet IP Camera

Plus cables. Assuming the B54IR is set up for triggers based on a tripwire and I'm ok reviewing footage manually for license plates in timeframes that matter. Will this work for $710?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Bugs will be bugs no matter what kind of light. I can tell you the white light will be possibly worse

I think your last proposal is close.

Plus you're going to need a NEMA box to store the NVR and modem, elect outlet connection and possibly a small 4 port switch in. Another $200+

The Smaller 1HD white 4100 series may work fine. I had a 4116 running in a closet with 4 cams for 4 years now at my old place
NVR4104-P-4KS3 - Dahua International
Lite Series - Dahua International

Most of us, 90%+ use the LPR just as you describe, reviewing after the fact and no need for a 20,000 plate database.

nicpottier

n3wb
Reaction score
We have a utility building near enough for CAT5 runs that will house everything, so no worries on where the NVR will live. If lite series would work given our low requirements then all the better.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I was just suggesting that to save space. Same specs I believe

So yeah, 2 cam setup is the way to go, and those are the right two cams, (other than not knowing the distance and if that fixed 5442 would be better than a VF 5442)

What the Overview and Tag cameras see

HOA Entr_StreetView_main_20211227115059_@3.jpgHOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20211227115058_@3.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
@bigredfish One last question. Are you having the cameras tag events in your setup?
Yes, I use IVS tripwires for the Overview cam, and a combo of those and old fashioned MD at night for the Z12 LPR cam. IVS doesnt work well at night with as dark as we need it (fast 1/1000-1/2000 exposure)

HOA Ent VPN_EntTag_main_20231113020956_@7.jpg

I use SmartPSS to Monitor Live/ReviewPlayback/Download clips. Note the hash marks on the timeline. Red=IVS, Yellow=MD
smartpss-playback-event-hash-marks.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ya know, depending on your scene, white LED's (Color) may be helpful for your Overview cam at night...

HOA Entr_StreetView_main_20230114230714_@3.jpg

Reaction score
While I have my system being BlueIris on a PC, I have had some experience with a HIK NVR at our shooting range where I am an RSO. Things to consider:

IF you have an incident, you will need to access the NVR and be able to find what you are looking for. Not having a screen, keyboard and mouse will make that difficult. Trying to do that on an iPhone or iPad will not be very easy. Then how are you planning to download the video of said vehicle? It takes time and bandwidth to do that. The HIK NVR takes several minutes just to spool one minute of video to a USB stick at the NVR. I am sure it would take a lot more time over a phone app. Then you have the size of that downloaded video on your phone and need to get it off.

Do you have light at the entrance? If you want metadata on the vehicle at night, you will need good lighting for that and an overview cam. Others have stated this, but I feel the need to emphasize this.

Just because you have a cam covering the road, does not mean you will get great plate caps. Especially at night, cars can 'slip through the cracks' so to speak. I often see cars on my overview cam that get no trigger on the LPR cam at night. And sometimes the overview cam misses a motorcycle, bicycle or person on foot at night. The more cams you have, the more potential you have to get a good capture. If you 'assume' that since you have only one way in/out that you do not need to plan for both directions, you have the potential for failure here. And I think it is a higher potential that you believe it to be. The last thing you want to happen is to get the neighborhood behind you on this system only to have it fail when needed most.

Don't forget to add in the hidden costs for this system. Like the HDDs, Cat cable, connectors, conduit, mounting boxes, a UPS for the NVR and if used a POE switch.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeahbut pulling from the NVR or a PC with BI on it is still simply accessing the clip and downloading it. I can do with SmartPSS remotely or on site with a laptop via that network. I dont see where theres a big difference..

Last edited:

nicpottier

n3wb
Reaction score
IF you have an incident, you will need to access the NVR and be able to find what you are looking for. Not having a screen, keyboard and mouse will make that difficult. Trying to do that on an iPhone or iPad will not be very easy. Then how are you planning to download the video of said vehicle? It takes time and bandwidth to do that. The HIK NVR takes several minutes just to spool one minute of video to a USB stick at the NVR. I am sure it would take a lot more time over a phone app. Then you have the size of that downloaded video on your phone and need to get it off.
So I found this wiki which actually has some live instances of NVRs running:
DahuaWiki

Looking at the 4100, it seems totally usable via the web. Is that not an accurate representation? (in other news it is very weird to be staring into a random warehouse in what I take it is China)

I realize that's live recording but is it wrong to assume viewing events on a timeline aren't that much slower?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes its quite useable web interface, your connection will determine how well. Still recommend installing SmartPSS to help with Live View/Playback/Download stuff, better IMHO for those things than the NVR Web UI. I rarely use the NVR web interface unless it is to access cameras directly or make setting changes

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
With cameras at two remote locations (and my own home setup) running LPR, all with overview cams, I can honestly say I run 99% on getting captures (bad plates aside). The beauty of the 2 cam setup is even if the LPR cams fails to trigger, and you're recording 24/7 PLUS Events, the Overview cam will typically see it (Or vice versa) and I can jump to the spot on the timeline for the LPR cam. Agree more Overview cams will almost always be better

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Buy as big of HD as you can afford/fit. Dont scrimp and find yourself pressed for HD space because you want to run high quality settings that take more space. HD space is cheap. Having to cut quality isnt fun.