Tendelux IR Illuminator AI4 Infrared Light

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The IR illuminator light on one of my Hikvision cameras bit the dust. I need an auxiliary light and only need about 30 ft of coverage, so I'm considering the Tenderlux 4w AI4. Some of the reviews indicate there may be an issue with water intrusion, but if mounted under a soffit would this be a concern? Interested to hear from anyone that has used this illuminator or suggestions on another one.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have two of the AI4 and both had water intrusion, located with no protection from the weather. Both were repairable by opening them up and the problem has not repeated since. The only problem free 4 watt model I've used is the cmvision IR40. The IR40 has a bit less of a center hotspot, but I do like the dark face of the AI4. My AI4s are a few years old now and maybe they fixed the water intrusion problem since?

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two of the AI4 and both had water intrusion, located with no protection from the weather. Both were repairable by opening them up and the problem has not repeated since. The only problem free 4 watt model I've used is the cmvision IR40. The IR40 has a bit less of a center hotspot, but I do like the dark face of the AI4. My AI4s are a few years old now and maybe they fixed the water intrusion problem since?

After you opened them up did you do something to prevent future water intrusion, like some kind of sealant?

I read part of the thread on the DI10 illuminator and I don't see any mention of water intrusion in it. May have been mentioned and I didn't see it. I don't mind spending the extra few dollars but don't need that range of coverage.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to confess I don't remember. This was a couple of years ago.
I understand. Also, did you use the power supply that came with it. Seems like common problem is the power supply on the IR illuminators are a little under powered and run hot. Where I need to put the power supply is in a storage shed and summer temps are high. Guess I could take a chance, or just apply the money towards a new camera.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, did you use the power supply that came with it.
If any of the IR illuminators I have came with a power brick I've really lost my memory. I've got about a half dozen different models and none of them came with a power brick (according to me!).

I run almost most of my 4 watt illuminators from modified camera poe supply's 12 volt output. I did a bunch of testing with 11, 12, and 13 volt power, with everything I tested working ok, and all that I tested were constant power devices. The CMvision IR40s pulled 3.6 watts, and the Tendelux AI4s 4.25 watts. When running, of course. Shut off during the day they pull a tenth of a watt or less.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
In an almost unbelievable timing coincidence, one of my CMvision IR40s has failed because of moisture intrusion. About 5 days ago I moved it from a tree trunk where it was pretty well protected, to out in the open. Since then it has been snowed on every day with some melting in-between. I figured I messed up with its power wire, but instead found its lens all fogged up, and about dozen drops of water inside. It doesn't work now and I'm hoping it will work after drying out overnight. I'm a bit pessimistic because I don't see any visible moisture on its circuit board. If it works again I should probably put some RTV on the gasket surfaces. Maybe the gasket between the body halves shrinks over time? If it doesn't work, scratch another ~$20.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The little DI10 and DI20 work well. I've not had any problems with the PS or noticed that they got particularly hot but mine are all outside. I did have water get into one out of the 5 that I have. I think that was kind of a fluke. I had it turned upside down and the "shade" that's usually at the top acted to let it collect water there and some must have seeped in. But that one did miraculously start working again about 6 months later after I guess it dried out. No problems with it since.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The AI4 specs state "Make sure that your camera is sensitive to 850nm infrared light". I am assuming this is compatible with Hikvision cameras??

I feel the DI10 is a real value but in my case I only need light from 0-30 ft.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The AI4 specs state "Make sure that your camera is sensitive to 850nm infrared light". I am assuming this is compatible with Hikvision cameras??

I feel the DI10 is a real value but in my case I only need light from 0-30 ft.
850nm is the standard infrared for cameras. It is rare to find one on 940 or 730.