Terrible frame rates FI9821w

PyroGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have recently purchased a FI9821W to install on my front porch to see people walking up. My problem is I am getting terrible frame rates. Sometimes (rarely) the camera will work properly and I will get 30 fps, most of the time I am getting 1 fps or sometimes even less.

I currently have my cam running over POE with cat 6 network cables, the length of the cables is less than 100'. I am using blue iris software and also have tested this with other camera software such as ispy and the problem persists. My camera is set up with static IP as well. My CPU usage is also not an issue, at this time blue iris states I am only using 2% and I have 4gb of ram available. This is my first foscam camera and I am becoming very frustrated with it and about to throw it out. I've had other family members who have had foscam cameras with great success.

Right now I just want my camera to work properly and I cannot figure out why it won't. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've searched for solutions extensively nothing I've tried has worked. My next option that I am thinking about would be to replace the network cable from my POE to my camera but I am really hoping to avoid that and don't see it necessary considering there are times that I will be able to run at 30 fps with no issues.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have recently purchased a FI9821W to install on my front porch to see people walking up. My problem is I am getting terrible frame rates. Sometimes (rarely) the camera will work properly and I will get 30 fps, most of the time I am getting 1 fps or sometimes even less.

I currently have my cam running over POE with cat 6 network cables, the length of the cables is less than 100'. I am using blue iris software and also have tested this with other camera software such as ispy and the problem persists. My camera is set up with static IP as well. My CPU usage is also not an issue, at this time blue iris states I am only using 2% and I have 4gb of ram available. This is my first foscam camera and I am becoming very frustrated with it and about to throw it out. I've had other family members who have had foscam cameras with great success.

Right now I just want my camera to work properly and I cannot figure out why it won't. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've searched for solutions extensively nothing I've tried has worked. My next option that I am thinking about would be to replace the network cable from my POE to my camera but I am really hoping to avoid that and don't see it necessary considering there are times that I will be able to run at 30 fps with no issues.
Welcome to the forum. If you can still return the camera that is what you should do. There are much better options.
As far as your problem, how are you powering the camera "poe" are you using a poe switch with a poe splitter at the end? If you are simply using the included power adapter and cheap splitting adapters then your issue is voltage drop over the long run.
Also what brand and exact model of cable are you using?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What other cameras do you think would be a better option. My budget for the camera would like to be around $120 per cam.

I am using a 8 port POE http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E80LPWU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I am using belkin cables that I have made myself, and I am confident in my connections on the cable it self.
Have you tested the camera with a shot cable to the switch/router?
Look for the hikvision/laview 2mp cube cameras with a wide angle 2.8mm lens. This way you capture the whole room with no need to pan tilt. Never miss anything important. They also include a PIR sensor and advanced motion detection like line cross (both of which can be use to trigger blue iris). They are available for 80-129 depending on where you buy from and sales.
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-2cd2420f-iw-2mp-indoor-ir-wifi-cube-camera-2-8mm.html

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PyroGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
I could try to connect it via a short cable from my POE, that would help isolate the issue to determine if it is the cable I have been using. The cable itself has been out there for a few years (a previous system was installed on this house with no issues) so that might be the problem. I'll give that a shot, I have been trying to avoid it because it is a pain to take down the cam.