Triggering trickery?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had always heard here that triggered recording was not reliable, but I have never seen such a clear cut case of it as I have now with a camera I have been testing in a temporary location. I have it set up near floor level in a hallway of my basement. I am still using BI4 with the triggering sliders set fully leftward for min. contrast and min. object size with the minimum duration set to 0.1 sec. When I reviewed the recordings I was surprised to see that I am always walking past the camera in the same direction. Apparently going in the other direction does not trigger the camera! Maybe I tend to walk slightly faster in one direction? It seems crazy that my giant feet could walk right in front of this camera and not trigger it. I am not sure if it is plausible that I can walk across the FOV in less than 0.1 sec.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using "Object Detection" with directional zone crossings or "Zones and Hot Spot"?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had always heard here that triggered recording was not reliable, but I have never seen such a clear cut case of it as I have now with a camera I have been testing in a temporary location. I have it set up near floor level in a hallway of my basement. I am still using BI4 with the triggering sliders set fully leftward for min. contrast and min. object size with the minimum duration set to 0.1 sec. When I reviewed the recordings I was surprised to see that I am always walking past the camera in the same direction. Apparently going in the other direction does not trigger the camera! Maybe I tend to walk slightly faster in one direction? It seems crazy that my giant feet could walk right in front of this camera and not trigger it. I am not sure if it is plausible that I can walk across the FOV in less than 0.1 sec.
Its very reliable if you set the thresholds correctly. There can be many reasons why motion detection is not working properly including the camera dropping frames, having small zones that dont overlap, using limit decoding and/or not matching your iframe interval to your fps.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do have some yellow border blinking on the console so apparently something isn't happy. I'm not sure what the issue is. I have an identical Starlight camera set up the same way and yet it seems to be fine.