two drives split the recording locations

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My BI cant really handle my 23 cameras . I got a second drive to see if i split it among two hard drives bit i am not sure how to do that. any help would be appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My BI cant really handle my 23 cameras . I got a second drive to see if i split it among two hard drives bit i am not sure how to do that. any help would be appreciated.
set up and aux folder in the clips and archiving tab. Point half your cameras to record to the aux folder.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no clue what you mean. do you mean select aux1? that doesnt seem to have the ability to have new and storage folders

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
no clue what you mean. do you mean select aux1? that doesnt seem to have the ability to have new and storage folders
Select aux and set the parameters...where to save, size etc..then in the cameras record tab tell it to save in the aux folder.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i just clicked aux1,created a folder, and then went into the cameras and selected aux1 for its recording. doesnt seem to have helped much. still running at 100 cpu

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i just clicked aux1,created a folder, and then went into the cameras and selected aux1 for its recording. doesnt seem to have helped much. still running at 100 cpu
are you certain half your cameras are set to the aux folder and the aux folder is set to record on a different drive?

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes and I checked the drive and the clips are there. btw I have 12gb of memory on this machine

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems to me that if your CPU is running at 100% that you are not having as much problem with your drives as you are with BI hitting the ceiling with CPU usage. Have you taken any of the steps to reduce BI cpu usage yet?

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes o course . its direct to disk. reduced to 15 fps and matched it to the iframe

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would still have to say that your problem is less likely to be the disk(s) at this point and more likely to be the CPU being run at 100%. What CPU are you using and how many total megapixels are your cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes and I checked the drive and the clips are there. btw I have 12gb of memory on this machine
Up your memory as i explained previously.
Also set the live view frame rate to 10fps or less, this will not affect recording. You have something else going on.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
on this its a xeon e3 1225 21 cameras 2.1 mp but I am running them at 1080/1920. 15fps

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would still have to say that your problem is less likely to be the disk(s) at this point and more likely to be the CPU being run at 100%. What CPU are you using and how many total megapixels are your cameras?
there is another thread where he describes his issue, his system should be able to handle this load, there is something wrong.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so how do I go about figuring out what is wrong. it is a clean machine except for bi .

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the past I have seen people suggest that you remove all the cameras from the BI install and start by adding one camera at a time back into BI. While doing this watch your CPU load to see if it jumps up when adding one of the cameras. Also, since you have already added another disk to your system for test purpose I would keep an eye on the I/O of the disk(s) when adding the cams back in to see if you are getting anywhere near the available I/O of your disk(s). And one last thing, I don't imagine you are getting to the max throughput of your NIC on your BI system but I would also keep an eye out for if you are getting too much network congestion.

Ohh yea, and I would definitely go with @fenderman on his recommendations first before I remove all of my cams since it is a time consuming process. It could very well be your Memory like fenderman said previously too?

Last edited by a moderator:

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes would love that. thanks. I will pm you the info

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes would love that. thanks. I pm you the info