Reaction score

Looks pretty slick!

1709136270685.png

Plus a touch screen viewer for inside the building

1709136302082.png

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, it's slick but a bit too pricy for me, and I have their access points.
If it doesn't work with your existing chime, someone is going to complain about it.

unifi.png

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I love the look of the unit. While I have not priced out commercial door entry systems, I don't think the price is out of line. This isn't really designed for single family homes (although I am sure someone will use it for that). It's really designed for multifamily or commercial spaces.

That being said, I don't really think there is any "new" functionality in these units. While I wasn't aware that entry systems were using QR codes for access (which would make it really easy for a planned guest to enter without having to "ring" in - perfect for a party, etc), it seems this feature is already being integrated into a lot of door station systems. We all know that using an 8k camera in that unit is actually going to provide much worse video footage (especially at night) than a lower resolution, but clearly people believe that more resolution is always better and therefore 8k must be better than everything else. Ubiquity will sell more units because it has 8k, but the actually performance is likely terrible. So while the marketing material is great, I wonder how well it actually performs in a real life setting.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
8MP, not 8k mate, it's 4k.

I think the price is actually quite favourable compared to other intercom systems, many of which can easily run $800-$1000 for the intercom itself, then the viewers can be $400+

My main issue is if I was to consider swapping it out, I'm not sure how I'd do it.

We have a brick pillar with the relay wires running to the intercom itself for the pedestrian gate and vehicle gate. Seeing as there's no relays on UniFi's device, I think that means I'd have to run cable back to the house to use and access hub to control the gate releases, which is a bit annoying. Pretty much all standard doorstations these days usually have 2 relays built into the device itself.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
8MP, not 8k mate, it's 4k.

Oops. I clearly misread that spec..... :thumbdown: Still, even a 4k camera likely has too much resolution. Obviously the integrated light will help with the overall illumination level, a 4k camera takes a lot of ambient light to produce a decent image. Often times at night this extra resolution is more of a hinderance than a benefit.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd love a version of this without the keypad for older family members. That way they could talk to people at the door through the Intercom viewer without unlocking the door.

I wonder if the intercom viewer will work with their doorbell line.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
@The Automation Guy FYI, if you review their video, they clearly say for residential applications.
True, but they are primarily speaking of multi-family residential settings, which is backed up with the footage they show in the video. This is designed as an entry system, not simply a doorbell camera. In a residential setting, these systems are used primarily to provide access to "shared, non-public" spaces, but typically not into a resident's actual private living space. The only image in the video that could even be remotely considered a single family home example was the entrance gate example - which would be a valid use case for this product because it would allow access onto the property (the equivalent of the shared, non public space in a multifamily setting).

As I stated in the original post, I'm sure someone will install this system to provide access to their private living space, but that would be an a-typical installation and not really what entrance systems are marketed towards.

Last edited:

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The ability to get an ONVIF stream from this will kind of make or break it for many people too, especially if they have an existing CCTV deployment.

All the access control intercom systems I considered at a year or two back all had ONVIF and I've got my current one fed into Blue Iris. Would suck if this is only usable with UniFI Protect