Used PC or server for Blue Iris

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Except in reality, I AM saving money, and they aren't "cheap ass old servers that use a ton of power". You clearly have never used one, let alone have ever owned one. But ignorance is bliss.

Again, I'm not the confused one here. System cooling have EVERYTHING to do with heat generated by the system. But since you've never worked on these systems, you don't understand how this all works, especially thermodynamics.

Again, the only sucker is you. I already have a Kil-A-Watt meter, I TOLD you my power draw, it's not my problem you choose not to believe me. And again, one of those dinky SFFs will NOT "run all the VMs I want". With what I am running on one, it'll get choked out in a minute. Those machines simply do not have the core count to do much, let alone the ability to have enough RAM. You clearly don't understand server technology, and that's fine to admit, but I know you won't. Go read up and understand what and how FreeNAS works, what eSXI is and what it takes to stream multiple 4K video streams with Plex. You think I'm dumb, but I'm far from it. I've been doing this way longer than you can imagine.

It's cute that you can't even understand that a quad core i7 that is the max processor in most of those SFFs can't compare to an e5-2650 octa core Xeon or dual 12 core Xeons.
1)The information about power consumption of those old systems is readily available. They are hogs.
2)Cooling the system doesnt change physics. The amount of heat generated is the same. In fact, its more with cooling because the cooling system generates its own heat.
3) you did NOT tell me your power draw, you told me your idle draw.
4) First your dell 710 does not have an e5-2650, interesting that you mention that processor. Second, an i7-8700 destroys the 2650. Looks like you need to brush up on your processors.
Perhaps you should spend your time reading the blue iris manual. You dont know the basics...sheesh....your entire rant is based on misinformation that there is something new with nvdia and BI. There isnt. Your silly theory has been tried and tested. Use the search box.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1)The information about power consumption of those old systems is readily available. They are hogs.
Again, they aren't. It's well documented out there. Many have them hooked up to Kil-A-Watts.

2)Cooling the system doesnt change physics. The amount of heat generated is the same. In fact, its more with cooling because the cooling system generates its own heat.
Yep, and you use cooling, to cool it all down. It only becomes and issue if you have a 42u rack loaded, then yeah, one or two in a home does nothing for your ambient temp in your house. Again, if you owned one, you'd know.

3) you did NOT tell me your power draw, you told me your idle draw.
Sure I did. My idle draw is what it stays at 99% of the time. It might peak to 90 here or there. Big whoop

4) First your dell 710 does not have an e5-2650, interesting that you mention that processor.
i never said it did. Follow along. I said the Xeon server I built has it. But if you want to talk about the dual processors in a 710, yeah, they're different but 12 cores /24 threads are still better for my application and for people who use a lot of VMs. Core count is king in that regards.

Second, an i7-8700 destroys the 2650. Looks like you need to brush up on your processors.
I suggest you do the same. When it comes to core count, which is something servers need, the Xeon destroys it. Yeah, in a single thread application the 8700 is better, but see as MY tasks need more cores than an 8799 has, your point it moot.

Perhaps you should spend your time reading the blue iris manual.
I have. The info for system specs is vague at best. Not sure where you're going with this point.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, they aren't. It's well documented out there. Many have them hooked up to Kil-A-Watts.

Yep, and you use cooling, to cool it all down. It only becomes and issue if you have a 42u rack loaded, then yeah, one or two in a home does nothing for your ambient temp in your house. Again, if you owned one, you'd know.

Sure I did. My idle draw is what it stays at 99% of the time. It might peak to 90 here or there. Big whoop

i never said it did. Follow along. I said the Xeon server I built has it. But if you want to talk about the dual processors in a 710, yeah, they're different but 12 cores /24 threads are still better for my application and for people who use a lot of VMs. Core count is king in that regards.

I suggest you do the same. When it comes to core count, which is something servers need, the Xeon destroys it. Yeah, in a single thread application the 8700 is better, but see as MY tasks need more cores than an 8799 has, your point it moot.

I have. The info for system specs is vague at best. Not sure where you're going with this point.
1) Exactly what I said, you must have misread. Power hogs. This guy's unit idles at 200w. Peaks at 350.

2) Yes, you cool it down, but the heat stays in the room. That is why the term space heater is used. You incorrectly stated "System cooling have EVERYTHING to do with heat generated by the system. " This is false and you dont have a grasp of basic physics.
3) You suggested using old 710's, not you are changing your tune.
4) Wrong. The 8700 beats the 2650 in multi core testing. Intel Core i7-8700 - Benchmark and Specs that said you have no idea about the op's requirement and you recommend a shitty 710 that is a useless piece of garbage.
5) my point is you started this entire nonsense because you failed to read the manual and thought there was a change to the nvidia ha. Read the manual and learn something.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
my bi machine runs at 170F.. I added a Noctua fan to the back and it lowered it to 125-30F. Room is hot as heck...

Reaction score
At one point I had an i7-2600k, i7-925 & i7-975 all in the same room (each with gaming GPU's of approximately the same era). It needed to be air conditioned YEAR round else you'd break a sweat when it was single digits outside, but just in that one room of the house. :D