Using a hotspot/mifi with Blue Iris

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So my Uncle is wanting to put in a camera system at his house in TN using Blue Iris. The only problem is he lives in the sticks with no ISP. The only source of internet he can get is provided by a mobile hotspot from his cell carrier.

Is setting up a BI system even possible/feasible using a hotspot?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So my Uncle is wanting to put in a camera system at his house in TN using Blue Iris. The only problem is he lives in the sticks with no ISP. The only source of internet he can get is provided by a mobile hotspot from his cell carrier.

Is setting up a BI system even possible/feasible using a hotspot?
Good luck, I tried for a friend in the same situation as your uncle, no success to date, but I haven't given up. Doing lots of reading online.
His is an AT&T 4G/LTE modem, model MF-279. It has a webGUI like any router with configs for port forwarding, DMZ, VPN pass-thru, etc.

I've heard some folks using LogMeIn's Hamachi to at least come in and look at alert recordings, etc. BI has no problem sending out e-mails or SMS, it's the issue with the phone co.'s NAT that prevents conventional access, even with not-so-secure port forwarding.

I'm getting ready to try something with it's DMZ but even that is potentially risky.

Weird, but this friend wants to access his BI server at this place here in AL when he goes up to TN!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So we have one of these in our store we offer:

AT&T - Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router

I just accessed the setup page and it actually allows port forwarding! Can even attach a switch to the RJ45 port directly to the hotspot.

This may be worth looking into
Again, good luck... the MF-279 allowed port forwarding as well but no joy. I really hope it works for you because he could buy that one if necessary (he's got $$$ stashed, retired Redstone Arsenal civilian + retired after 15 more years local gov't.)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So we have one of these in our store we offer:

AT&T - Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router

I just accessed the setup page and it actually allows port forwarding! Can even attach a switch to the RJ45 port directly to the hotspot.

This may be worth looking into
lots of these mobile hotspots allow port forwarding but it wont work unless the isp gives you a routable ip...verizon charges big bux for it...as tonyR mentioned, hamachi does work....i tested it...I was able to remote in via another pc...I had trouble with the certs on mobile...Ill have to mess with it when I have some time..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lots of these mobile hotspots allow port forwarding but it wont work unless the isp gives you a routable ip...verizon charges big bux for it...
Exactly. Most of what I've read, at least regarding AT&T cellular modems, state that a static, public IP is the only solution and it's $350, as you need a "business account." I'm not stating that as fact but I have read that several times on different forums from different OP's in the last month while researching a solution for my friend, so there may be some truth to that.

If so, I'd go with Hamachi!