Using more than 1 NVR.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
We have a Dahua camera setup with a Dahua NVR 52XXX model which we been using since 2017 and we want to give Blue Iris a try for it's AI feature.

Can Dahua NVR be use just for 24/7 recording with all motion disabled and Blue Iris use for 24/7 recording plus AI alert at same time on same camera setup?

What used computer would you recommend for Blue Iris? I am trying to find the smallest form factor which does not draw too much amperage to stay green :p

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you can feed the NVR camera feeds right into Blue Iris.

Go by this list to find the green solution you are looking for LOL

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes you can feed the NVR camera feeds right into Blue Iris.

Go by this list to find the green solution you are looking for LOL

So I would set up Camera to NVR then each camera NVR channel to Blue Iris ? Is there any delay?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In Blue Iris you simply "add camera" and you put in the IP address of the NVR and the user and password and hit the find/inspect button and then further down on the screen is Camera Number and then you select 1. Then you just do "add camera" and select copy that first camera and change the 1 to a 2 and repeat of the number of cameras you have. You can bring in analog and POE systems this way.

No appreciable delay that you can really see. I have an NVR feeding some cameras into mine and other cameras on a POE and the videos line up.

Obviously IP cameras have a slight delay over analog, but you would be seeing that with the NVR anyway.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
In Blue Iris you simply "add camera" and you put in the IP address of the NVR and the user and password and hit the find/inspect button and then further down on the screen is Camera Number and then you select 1. Then you just do "add camera" and select copy that first camera and change the 1 to a 2 and repeat of the number of cameras you have. You can bring in analog and POE systems this way.

No appreciable delay that you can really see. I have an NVR feeding some cameras into mine and other cameras on a POE and the videos line up.

Obviously IP cameras have a slight delay over analog, but you would be seeing that with the NVR anyway.

I want all of my camera to be feeding to both Dahua NVR and the computer running Blue Iris.

I wasn't sure if my Dahua camera can stream to two different NVR at the same time.

My goal is to stop using NVR for alerts and hide it somewhere in the house for 27/7 recording but use Blue Iris computer at a desk to view the alerts / recordings / all feature Blue Iris have to offer and if the computer with Blue Iris happen to get stolen or break then I still have the hidden Dahua NVR to review recording from.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want all of my camera to be feeding to both Dahua NVR and the computer running Blue Iris.

I wasn't sure if my Dahua camera can stream to two different NVR at the same time.

My goal is to stop using NVR for alerts and hide it somewhere in the house for 27/7 recording but use Blue Iris computer at a desk to view the alerts / recordings / all feature Blue Iris have to offer and if the computer with Blue Iris happen to get stolen or break then I still have the hidden Dahua NVR to review recording from.
Yes you can do that with your Dahua NVR. Even cheap analog DVRs are capable of doing it.

Many of us run a NVR as redundant and feeding the video to Blue Iris just as I outlined...

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes you can do that with your Dahua NVR. Even cheap analog DVRs are capable of doing it.

Many of us run a NVR as redundant and feeding the video to Blue Iris just as I outlined...

That post didn't appear until I hit refresh on my browser .. SORRY! Yes that what I was thinking ...

Thank you!

slamb

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. You don't need to make Blue Iris go through the Dahua NVR; both NVRs can talk directly to the cameras if you have set up your network topology to allow this. In terms of the camera's network bandwidth, cameras typically have 100 Mbps Ethernet and main+sub streams together will typically be less than 10 Mbps, so at least 8 should be possible. In terms of the camera's CPU, I don't know exactly what the limit is (it may vary by model and analytics configuration), but pushing bytes is relatively cheap and I've had three or four things pulling both streams at once without trouble.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
So I'm thinkin the camera wont be asked to push 2 feeds. The NVR will take the pushed Cam data and consume it, but also pass it upstream to the WAn Port, to Blue Iris right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm thinkin the camera wont be asked to push 2 feeds. The NVR will take the pushed Cam data and consume it, but also pass it upstream to the WAn Port, to Blue Iris right?
You can do it either way - if the cameras are already connected to POE ports on the NVR, the simple way is to do what I said above.

If the cameras are not on the POE of the NVR and are connected to a switch, you can do either way.

Dahua cams can have I think 10 simultaneous logins. Now reality is much less without problems usually. But two is not a problem.