Using SmartPss Over Internet

Steve556

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using SmartPss to view my Amcrest cameras on my home network, and it works great. However, I am unable to view my cameras over the internet, when I am away from home. I enter the IP address, the port numbers, and the password, but the cameras always appear "offline"? I am able to view them by using the Amcrest plugin for Chrome, but that is being depreciated soon. Besides, I like SmartPss much better.

Is there a trick to using SmartPss over the internet? Am I missing some setting?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
True of any viewer for any system. When at home you are inside your home Wifi network, When you leave home you are on a publick network and your home system cant be reached.

You need to look into OpenVPN which allows you to "tunnel" into your home network

Steve556

n3wb
Reaction score
True of any viewer for any system. When at home you are inside your home Wifi network, When you leave home you are on a publick network and your home system cant be reached.

You need to look into OpenVPN which allows you to "tunnel" into your home network
So without a VPN, there is no way to view my cameras using SmartPss or another viewer, even if I enter my IP, port, and password? I then the only way to view my cameras outside of my home network is with a browser and plugin?

Can Blue Iris be used to view from outside my home network?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are not providing much information.

Do you have ports forwarded on your home router?
Sounds like you do.
Enter IP, Port, Password in what? SPSS?
Same goes for BI, you need to have either a VPN running or ports forwarded.
Did you read the link I posted above?

Last edited:

Steve556

n3wb
Reaction score
You are not providing much information.

Do you have ports forwarded on your home router?
Sounds like you do.
Enter IP, Port, Password in what? SPSS?
Same goes for BI, you need to have either a VPN running or ports forwarded.
Did you read the link I posted above?
Thanks. Yes, I read your link.

I have either the ports forwarded or open. When I enter my IP, port and password in the Chrome plugin, I am able to view my camera. When I enter my IP, port and password in SmartPss, the camera is always "offline".

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Short answer if you are port forwarding correctly, though not advised, there should be no reason SmartPSS can’t access the NVR

Individual cameras on your home network are likely either 10.1.1.x if connected directly to a Dahua NVR or something like 192.168.1.x if connected to an external switch. You would typically enter the info for the NVR into SmartPSS.

Ate you using Amcrest cloud? That would explain why you are able to see them via a browser plug-in…

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If no nvr you’d have to change all but one cameras to 37778, 37779 etc and then forward each of those to each corresponding cameras IP address.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or you’d have to enable p2p and manually enter each cams serial number into pss.

Steve556

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not using Amcrest cloud. I am simply entering my router's ineternet IP and the camera's port. I then enter the user name and password, and I am able to view my cameras with the Chrome plugin. When I set up the camera in SmartPss, by entering the router's internet IP, the user name and password, the camera always shows as "offline". So I was confused why I was able to view the camera with the Chrome plugin and not with SmartPss. I thought perhaps it was some setting in SmartPss that I needed to change, but I could not find anything.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm… sounds like ports open for each in the router. No I see no reason SmartPSS wouldn’t see them.
When you add the Device to SmartPSS do you get a green or red indicator?

Steve556

n3wb
Reaction score
When I add the camera, I see a red indicator.
It looks like other people are able to use SmartPss to view their cameras remotely. Do you add your camera with the router IP, user name and password? Apart from that, is there any setting in SmartPss that you need to change?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When I add the camera, I see a red indicator.
It looks like other people are able to use SmartPss to view their cameras remotely. Do you add your camera with the router IP, user name and password? Apart from that, is there any setting in SmartPss that you need to change?
Just the port which defaults to 37777