Very high RAM usage in Blue Iris

TripTrip

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all- I tried searching, but didn't find any clear answers to this problem, so appreciate any of your expertise.

I have a Blue Iris setup with 17 Amcrest cameras. I am running them through Blue Iris on this server: HP ENVY Desktop TE01-2387c PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support, HP ENVY Desktop TE01-2387c, which has an Intel® Core™ i7-11700F, NVIDIA GTX 1660 GPU, 32GB of RAM, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

I have it setup to record direct to disk on the SSD and then transfer to storage on the HDD. I also have CodeProject AI computer vision though YOLO setup to run on the GPU.

The problem I am having is extremely high RAM usage. Right now the CPU is running at 1%, but my RAM use is at 100% and the server is frozen. I can't do anything with it, and I don't get alerts like I should. The recording tends to sputter on and off (there is still video saved, but chunks are missing throughout the day despite using continuous + trigger recording).

If I restart the server, it works fine for a while, and then falls back into 100% RAM use and freezes up again.

Has anyone encountered this before? I imagine I have some setting wrong, but not sure whether it's more likely to be in the camera recording, the AI, the server backups, or something else I am not thinking about.

Thanks in advance!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) provide a screen shot of the Microsoft task manager process tab sorted by memory usage, biggest at top.
2) provide a Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
3) blue Iris status cameras tab
4) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
5) on two of the camera properties the record tab.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Had it been working fine for a long time then all of a sudden the memory usage shot up one day?

zoeb

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure what happened to this thread, but this same thing is happening to me. I just moved from a QNAP NVR to a dedicated PC running Blue Iris. RAM usage keeps climbing over several hours until the computer locks up and needs to be restarted. After a restart, RAM usage goes down to about 1.5GB before creeping back up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dell Precision 3640 tower, Windows 11 Pro, i7-10700 @ 2.9GHz, 32GB RAM, UHD Graphics 630, 512GB SSD (C drive), 12TB Mirrored HHD RAID (A drive), 12TB single HHD (B drive). Graphics driver version 30.0.101.1692 from 4/3/2022

Attachments

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what happened to this thread, but this same thing is happening to me. I just moved from a QNAP NVR to a dedicated PC running Blue Iris. RAM usage keeps climbing over several hours until the computer locks up and needs to be restarted. After a restart, RAM usage goes down to about 1.5GB before creeping back up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dell Precision 3640 tower, Windows 11 Pro, i7-10700 @ 2.9GHz, 32GB RAM, UHD Graphics 630, 512GB SSD (C drive), 12TB Mirrored HHD RAID (A drive), 12TB single HHD (B drive). Graphics driver version 30.0.101.1692 from 4/3/2022
What version of Blue Iris?
Some of the recent releases have had some memory issues.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
May not be a memory issue but the main frame and sub frame should the sane frame rate and Iframe values.

I recommend that you do not write Video files to an SSD. It may kill the SSD. I kiled an Kingston SSD in less than 3 months.

The combine and cut on the record tab should be 1 hour and 4GB. Keep the file size at 4GB or less, moving big files is a PIA.
================================

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI. Leave at least 50GB free.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.
10) for performance do not put more than about 10,000 files in a folder, the search and adding files will eat CPU and disk performance. Look at using a sub folder per camera (see &CAM in bi help)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Re:" I have it setup to record direct to disk on the SSD and then transfer to storage on the HDD "

Typically people write once to a 3.5" Terabyte sized drive..... in .BVR "direct to disk".
If your writing 17 cams to the OS drive ( Windows) SSD....and then copying and rewriting them to storage, while also simultaneously writing new foottage to the SSD....you can create a bottle neck, which may cause windows to write to RAm in swap files or some such shit...

zoeb

n3wb
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf that did the trick, rolling back to the last stable version of BI seems to have solved the memory issue. Not sure why it would default to download anything else, but thank you for your help!

@SouthernYankee I will go though and adjust my setting according to your recommendations, thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf that did the trick, rolling back to the last stable version of BI seems to have solved the memory issue. Not sure why it would default to download anything else, but thank you for your help!

@SouthernYankee I will go though and adjust my setting according to your recommendations, thank you!
Now turn off auto updates and only update when BI adds something you want or need!