VIP Vision feedback

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

What’s your opinion on a brand called VIP Vision? It seems a bit obscure to me and I have formed my opinion on it.

I would love to hear what you think please. I will share my view after.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

What’s your opinion on a brand called VIP Vision? It seems a bit obscure to me and I have formed my opinion on it.

I would love to hear what you think please. I will share my view after.

Thanks in advance

They are rebranding dahua.

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are rebranding dahua.
Interesting the UI I saw looks like an old VCR.

It reminded me of a cheap analog cctv system I bought years ago. What do you think about my assessment?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

It reminded me of a cheap analog cctv system I bought years ago. What do you think about my assessment?

Have you used ip cameras before?

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Fair assessment. Dahua haven't done much to sex up the GUI. An update for some machines over the last year looks like one of the biggest visual re-works. My NVR has the GUI from just before, and it's a lot like the 10-15 year old machines I just offloaded.

FWIW about VIP Vision, even the discounted Trade specials pricing doesn't match buying from Andy, though it's hard to make direct comparisons as there's a purposeful spec difference between the model ranges. Often with VIP you need to go up the range to get Starlight, varifocal and other premium inclusions. The only advantage would be local warranty. That said, Andy has helped me out with warranty in Australia previously, however the turnaround time means you might need to to hold a surplus part to keep your system up. I now have a second NVR which I probably should sell... or shouldn't I?

I do get tempted every time the VIP catalogue arrives by post or email, but I'm going to stick with my current supplier.

Cheers, Steve

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Provide some screen shots. Most IP cameras do not have a great fancy user interface
I was referring to the NVR not the camera sorry. I don’t mind a camera with an ugly interface if it’s functional but the NVR is a different story.

If it were there purely to record it would be ok, but when I need to respond to an incident the and need to browse through footage from many cameras to find when someone happened then it could mean the difference between you finding it quick enough to have someone arrested or not.

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you used ip cameras before?
I wasn’t referring to the cameras, I was talking about the NVR.

I think I am just spoilt by BI’s UI and how easy I can find stuff in footage.

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fair assessment. Dahua haven't done much to sex up the GUI. An update for some machines over the last year looks like one of the biggest visual re-works. My NVR has the GUI from just before, and it's a lot like the 10-15 year old machines I just offloaded.

FWIW about VIP Vision, even the discounted Trade specials pricing doesn't match buying from Andy, though it's hard to make direct comparisons as there's a purposeful spec difference between the model ranges. Often with VIP you need to go up the range to get Starlight, varifocal and other premium inclusions. The only advantage would be local warranty. That said, Andy has helped me out with warranty in Australia previously, however the turnaround time means you might need to to hold a surplus part to keep your system up. I now have a second NVR which I probably should sell... or shouldn't I?

I do get tempted every time the VIP catalogue arrives by post or email, but I'm going to stick with my current supplier.

Cheers, Steve
Sorry don’t know who Andy is. Or is the the guy that sells VIP Vision in Australia?

My area of expertise is information security, when we respond to incidents it has be easy for us to find the info we need to respond appropriately. Many of the NVRs I have seen were almost like a toy tool, finding things was hard, navigating through the UI was hard and finding activity in footage was very hard and very time consuming.

I always think about the folks that aren’t computer and tech people but need to find the activity, gather all the footage and report to the police. If the device doing the recording doesn’t make it easy for it to work a little like a forensic tool then we have a problem.

I might have too high expectations because I went down the blue iris path. But I also expect these NVRs to provide me with some intelligence at least.

If a look at a NVR and I am given a remote control to operate it I immediately see red flags.

Do those NVRs cope with the load they claim? How easy is it to find what you need when you don’t know exactly when it happened?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn’t referring to the cameras, I was talking about the NVR.

I think I am just spoilt by BI’s UI and how easy I can find stuff in footage.

Same difference. Have you seen an NVR before?
Yes, that is one of the many benefits of BI. There is a reason its so popular.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My area of expertise is information security, when we respond to incidents it has be easy for us to find the info we need to respond appropriately. If the device doing the recording doesn’t make it easy for it to work a little like a forensic tool then we have a problem.
If sensing is properly set up, the NVR will provide cues regarding the possible timing of incidents via events. I will often have an idea of when things happen via an email notification, if not, markers on the footage timeline or playing back event footage only should get to the point of interest quickly.

Unfortunately many systems are just "smashed in" by budget installers or unskilled / under-studious civvies. In those instances, the capabilities of the NVR to highlight situations are likely not utilised or poorly configured. This was something I identified in my own efforts the first time I wanted to review and export an offence at my property.

I have seen tutorials showing that the higher-end Dahua/VIP NVRs have far more "post processing" power than the entry level boxes like mine, which is admittedly quite lacking. However it was only AU$120

Cheers, Steve